Muschamp a top target for South Carolina

Auburnfan91

He's only one year removed from the Florida debacle. I suppose that they might insist he hire a top OC.

Which is what someone in another thread insinuated ..that Foley or someone encouraged him to hire Weiss. IMO it's not a good starting point to be told who you need to hire, a HC should be able to choose his guy ....jmo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingo...I mean he had one of the best jobs in the nation....

Coaching is a lot more complicated than "if you fail at 'X' good school, that means that you will also fail to 'Y' school". There are a million different factors that could have altered whether or not Muschamp succeeded at Florida, which is why his name will continue to pop up for other jobs and why he will ultimately land another job sooner rather than later.

Isn't South Carolina where good coaches go to die? Why would anyone trying to get their head coaching career off the ground want to go to that recruiting wasteland, you know, besides the paycheck? Seems to me that they need to shoot for Richt. He fits their usual mold.

Just saw on coachingsearch.com that Pruitt is now a top target for South Carolina

That one is surprising to me. Pruitt has only 3 years of coordinator experience and six years total of college coaching experience (plus three years of off the field college experience and one year as a GA in 1997).

On the plus side, he has worked for three different HCs, and been involved in three NCs. He may also now know what asparagus is, now that he has heard of it.

Just saw on coachingsearch.com that Pruitt is now a top target for South Carolina

That one is surprising to me. Pruitt has only 3 years of coordinator experience and six years total of college coaching experience (plus three years of off the field college experience and one year as a GA in 1997).

On the plus side, he has worked for three different HCs, and been involved in three NCs. He may also now know what asparagus is, now that he has heard of it.

Reminds me of my buddy from Chicago who had never heard of okra until we went to Charleston.

Coaching is a lot more complicated than "if you fail at 'X' good school, that means that you will also fail to 'Y' school". There are a million different factors that could have altered whether or not Muschamp succeeded at Florida, which is why his name will continue to pop up for other jobs and why he will ultimately land another job sooner rather than later.

I agree but if I am an AD I take a pass, with the resources he had at his disposal he should have been more successful. If he continues to improve the defense he most certainly will get another opportunity and hopefully it will be better the second time around

I agree but if I am an AD I take a pass, with the resources he had at his disposal he should have been more successful. If he continues to improve the defense he most certainly will get another opportunity and hopefully it will be better the second time around

I don't think it was his idea to hire Charlie Weis though and once that fell through, muschamp's whole offense fell through.

I don't think it was his idea to hire Charlie Weis though and once that fell through, muschamp's whole offense fell through.

Whose idea was it? Will does not strike me as the type who would be told who to hire.

USC has a huge reputation of being a graveyard for HCs. No one has had any high level of success there except for Spurrier. CWM cannot do much better than Spurrier has done at USC. South Carolina needs a HC with success over several seasons on their resume.

Mark Richt would be a perfect candidate for USC. He is a great recruiter and could bring some long term success and stability to their program. Like Coach Chizik, CWM excels as a coordinator and should stay put for several seasons if at all as a HC. CWM may want to be a HC down the road, but I think the road to USC is one he should avoid for the next few seasons.

Oh well, so much for Richt going to Carolina. I think he should have stayed away from(Miami). Miami is not the best place for his family. If I was him, I would seek a job in the mountains somewhere.

Where did Pruitt go to college?

USC has a huge reputation of being a graveyard for HCs. No one has had any high level of success there except for Spurrier. CWM cannot do much better than Spurrier has done at USC. South Carolina needs a HC with success over several seasons on their resume.

Mark Richt would be a perfect candidate for USC. He is a great recruiter and could bring some long term success and stability to their program. Like Coach Chizik, CWM excels as a coordinator and should stay put for several seasons if at all as a HC. CWM may want to be a HC down the road, but I think the road to USC is one he should avoid for the next few seasons.

Oh well, so much for Richt going to Carolina. I think he should have stayed away from(Miami). Miami is not the best place for his family. If I was him, I would seek a job in the mountains somewhere.

Western Carolina would be nice....could use an upgrade in their program.....but he's a former Miami football player and from Florida....and sees the potential I guess.

Whose idea was it? Will does not strike me as the type who would be told who to hire.

Well the rumor is that Foley told Muschamp to hire Weis.

Well the rumor is that Foley told Muschamp to hire Weis.

One thing for sure...nobody....and I mean nobody is going to accept the blame for doing that.....the old "success has many fathers but failure is an orphan" or however that goes.

JMO, I would be surprised if an AD told his coach who to hire....that's really asking for trouble and Foley is supposed to be a pretty good AD.

Weiss is the richest unsuccessful coach in college football. He was getting contact payoff checks from several schools at one time.

Weiss is the richest unsuccessful coach in college football. He was getting contact payoff checks from several schools at one time.

Was Jimmy Sexton his agent? If not, he certainly had the best agent anywhere to get all those contracts with big buyouts.

He may be the richest unsuccessful coach of all time.

Hasn't done much since he left the Patriots.

Hasn't done much since he left the Patriots.

But tear up some buffets

Back to Muschamp please. Any new news this AM? I want him to stay a few more years at AU.

You know there is another more commonly used Muschamp thread...

I don't hear him coming out saying I'm staying.. That would be nice for recruiting so he's serious about the job (being a HC). He makes good for an assistant so I don't think it's about money.

I don't hear him coming out saying I'm staying.. That would be nice for recruiting so he's serious about the job (being a HC). He makes good for an assistant so I don't think it's about money.

He's making 1.6 million plus he got 6 million from UF.

Archived