FBS Championship Game Thread

around4ever

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it had as much to do with uat's special teams executing than Clemson's special teams not executing. uat special teams blocked a FG, performed an unorthodox onside kick and returned a kickoff for a TD. Do you realize how hard it was for the uat kicker to drop that onside kick perfectly where he did? I would venture that if he tried it 10 times, 1 possibly 2 would fall in the vicinity of where that one did. The kick return was set up perfectly and the Clemson kick team collapsed to the near side where Drake started heading but couldn't catch him when he darted to the left to the open field. The block was just another outstanding play by Pettway. He should have had consideration for MVP.

Honestly. Every semi decent soccer player in the world could of executed that kick. It was nothing but a routine ball played into space. Problem was Clemson cheated center and left that space, that was their error. They got out-coached on it.

And how many unfortunate circumstances afflict Bama? Don't get me wrong, this is not an indictment of Auburn, but how can any "process" overcome attrition rates, injuries, coaching turnover, without some shady business being done in the background.

I honestly can't remember the last time that bama lost key players to injury. They certainly haven't lost more than one. However, the way they overcome attrition rates is by having the #1 recruiting class almost every year, and certainly the #1 class in the SEC every year. As for coaching turnover, that one's 3 fold... first, it's Saban's program and he only hires coaches who will run it his way. Second... the offense has always been secondary to bama, so switching that up causes less chaos than it does with a lot of schools. Third... they throw A LOT of money around to keep coaches. That being said, this year will be the test. This is the first time he's lost his defensive coach.

And sure you can say everything will work out once Emmert leaves, but who knows if he'll ever leave? We don't know if the next guy in line will or won't continue to protect Saban's "legacy".

I was joking when I said that. It was just a way to paint a silver lining kind of picture. One would hope that, once Emmert leaves, whoever takes over would want to clean up his mess, but the NCAA is an autonomous entity, with no governing, so they could just stay mired in corruption forever. After all, even without the Saban-Emmert connection, bama still has a huge fan base that loves to waste what little money they have on football crap, so they are the NCAA's bread and butter.

Auburn doesn't have that kind of leniency and it bothers me to no end that we're looked down as a garbage because we can't do what that team up-state does.

Ugh

I hear you. We aren't in an enviable position. We have to work harder to achieve just as much, because we have more to overcome. That being said, I would never want to be a part of any other school in the SEC, because no school takes the good and the bad with class better than Auburn.

I think it had as much to do with uat's special teams executing than Clemson's special teams not executing. uat special teams blocked a FG, performed an unorthodox onside kick and returned a kickoff for a TD. Do you realize how hard it was for the uat kicker to drop that onside kick perfectly where he did? I would venture that if he tried it 10 times, 1 possibly 2 would fall in the vicinity of where that one did. The kick return was set up perfectly and the Clemson kick team collapsed to the near side where Drake started heading but couldn't catch him when he darted to the left to the open field. The block was just another outstanding play by Pettway. He should have had consideration for MVP.

Honestly. Every semi decent soccer player in the world could of executed that kick. It was nothing but a routine ball played into space. Problem was Clemson cheated center and left that space, that was their error. They got out-coached on it.

Saban's staff saw that deficiency in Clemson's kick coverage. They practiced that on-side kick in the event they needed it during the game. Bottom line, uat's D was winded and couldn't stop that Clemson offense, Saban/Kiffin knew uat needed another offensive possession and it took some balls for the HC to call that shot. IMHO, that onside kick was what turned the entire complextion of the game.

Saban's staff saw that deficiency in Clemson's kick coverage. They practiced that on-side kick in the event they needed it during the game. Bottom line, uat's D was winded and couldn't stop that Clemson offense, Saban/Kiffin knew uat needed another offensive possession and it took some balls for the HC to call that shot. IMHO, that onside kick was what turned the entire complextion of the game.

agree somewhat . I think it was an easy call if you trust your kicker to execute it. There was no one there to receive it. The real work for that was in the film room. Helps to have 37 coaches too.

agree somewhat . I think it was an easy call if you trust your kicker to execute it. There was no one there to receive it. The real work for that was in the film room. Helps to have 37 coaches too.

You have a point in that, if you trust your kicker, then it shouldn't be a hard call. Maybe it wasn't, but under the circumstances it was definitely a risky call. If Clemson recovers that ball, I think there is a different outcome to the game. I am a little surprised that Clemson wasn't looking for something fishy. I thought to myself that Alabama might attempt an onside kick there, and then they did. Clemson definitely should have been more on guard. Props to Griffith for executing so well in that moment.

If you say so but that was the most un-Saban like call I could imagine. in that situation. Sure Clemson's line had been pealing back to get in a good position to block for theirreturns....but someone should check to see if Saban has ever made that call in a ballgame when it was a surprise like that. Wonder's whose idea that really was?

If you say so but that was the most un-Saban like call I could imagine. in that situation. Sure Clemson's line had been pealing back to get in a good position to block for theirreturns....but someone should check to see if Saban has ever made that call in a ballgame when it was a surprise like that. Wonder's whose idea that really was?

not just pealing back, they were not spread to that sideline.

Wasn't there a rule change a while back about the ball having to bounce twice before the kicking team could recover it? Am I imagining that? Best I could tell, that did not occur on Monday night.

Um ya, why I said they got out coached

Though it was unsuccessful, they called a fake punt when they played Texas in the NC. Not an onsides kick, but in the same realm of thinking.

Wasn't there a rule change a while back about the ball having to bounce twice before the kicking team could recover it? Am I imagining that? Best I could tell, that did not occur on Monday night.

i think that was to prevent kicking it down into the ground and one hoping it ten yards and killing the return front line while they were waiting on it to fall. basically letting him fair catch it. it would not have mattered in this case because no one was there to catch it. not sure though.

i think that was to prevent kicking it down into the ground and one hoping it ten yards and killing the return front line while they were waiting on it to fall. basically letting him fair catch it. it would not have mattered in this case because no one was there to catch it. not sure though.

That sounds right...I recall that a couple of the recent AU on-sides kicks were made illegal by the change. But Monday, since it was kicked in the air...did not matter how far it went....was the same thing as if he had kicked it 50 yards. Thanks

Maybe so. Most kickers do not practice hitting one that softly and it has to be foot to ball in the perfect spot. Too high on the ball and you don't get the lift. Too low on the ball and it doesn't get the needed distance to clear the Clemson front line. It's not that simple.

I'm just so damn happy that they didn't release an eagle to fly around the stadium prior to the game, I am still pissed about that fly over bama got against Michigan state.

Still don't get why people made a big deal about that. Auburn wasn't the first university to fly a bird around the stadium prior to kickoff. And they didn't use one of our Eagles.

geez shocks, between "posture" and eagles flying at bama games I truly don't think i can help you understand that although it's not a big deal, it does perturb me to a minor extent.

Also, I am genuinely curious who was the first university to fly an eagle or bird around the stadium prior to kickoff - not being a dick, I really would like to know as a brief google search returned nothing but Au results.

And imagine this....Auburn won or played in 2 of the last 3 championship games that bama didn't........

It's not just about spuat.

Bingo. I thing every team in the nation other than alabama, ohio st, and fsu would probably trade places with us over the last 5 years.

Kinda makes you wonder about all of the "we can't recruit, we can't coach, we have no QBs, etc." comments around here.

When we see a decline in production, resulting in less wins, landing us in the bottom half of the conference, is it no wonder why we ask questions and comment about the team and it's direction?

Some of us just see it as primarily a year where we had a over abundance of unfortunate circumstances that couldn't be overcome. The only real issues I saw were at Linebacker and Wide Receiver and the answer to that is pretty easy... we haven't been doing a great job of recruiting either. Whether that is because we are getting beat (Linebacker), or not going after very many (Wide Receiver), at least one of those is being addressed in this class.

And how many unfortunate circumstances afflict Bama? Don't get me wrong, this is not an indictment of Auburn, but how can any "process" overcome attrition rates, injuries, coaching turnover, without some shady business being done in the background.

And sure you can say everything will work out once Emmert leaves, but who knows if he'll ever leave? We don't know if the next guy in line will or won't continue to protect Saban's "legacy".

Auburn doesn't have that kind of leniency and it bothers me to no end that we're looked down as a garbage because we can't do what that team up-state does.

Ugh

Coaches and coordinators come and go but one thing remains the same...SABAN....his system, his offense, his defense,,,his process. I'll say for the hundredth that the moaning about them cheating sounds like children.

Nobody outside of UAT and the bammers likes the tide and 400 plus NCAA schools are not going to sit by and allow bama to get by with stuff that gives then an advantage. I bet they are among the most envied, hated and closely watched schools in the NCAA. With so many AU fans chipping in with all kinds of claims about bama cheating, there must be several file cabinets of "evidence" (generally lacking corroboration) in the basement of NCAA headquarters.

People keep making comments about AU being a laughing stock because of coaching changes or loss on the football field, but IMO what makes AU a laughingstock are the people who can't get bama off their minds and can't accept that their football program is the best in FBS be a clear margin and it's probably as clean as at most major schools.

if you know people who look down on AU as "garbage" you need a new set of friends. AND anyone who uses Auburn's success (or lack of it) ...or lets others get away with that kind of thing ...by which I mean, using football as a measuring stick for the quality of the university.....you should be ashamed of yourselves.

It's hard for me to believe than an AU graduate only values Auburn or an Auburn education on the basis of how well the football team performs.

Meanwhile, listened to a post-game talk show today and it was noted that Clemson is replicating Saban's system over at their school....same systems, methodology and disciplines (coaches and players don't talk to media for example). JMO but sounds like this was not their last trip to the championship.

Post of the year and it is only January 14. Well said.

I'm just so damn happy that they didn't release an eagle to fly around the stadium prior to the game, I am still pissed about that fly over bama got against Michigan state.

What is wrong with a fly over from a Bald Eagle? Isn't a Bald Eagle the national symbol for the United States?

I'm just so happy that they didn't release an eagle to fly around the stadium prior to the game, I am still upset about that fly over bama got against Michigan state.

What is wrong with a fly over from a Bald Eagle? Isn't a Bald Eagle the national symbol for the United States?

I'll just sum it up again. It subjectively perturbed me to a *minor* extent & honestly it wouldn't have at all if it had been done across the board for the playoffs but yes, it is in fact a symbol for the United States E'town4Bama which is what it was all about but it still perturbed me to a very minor extent as an Auburn fan and I thought there may be a few fellow aufamily members who shared the same sentiment so I voiced it. It's the greatest rivalry in all the land that extends beyond one day and two hours in November but f*** it, I agree that patriotism/nationalism should trump the rivalry but for w/e reason it didn't do so for me.

Still don't get why people made a big deal about that. Auburn wasn't the first university to fly a bird around the stadium prior to kickoff. And they didn't use one of our Eagles.

geez shocks, between "posture" and eagles flying at bama games I truly don't think i can help you understand that although it's not a big deal, it does perturb me to a minor extent.

Also, I am genuinely curious who was the first university to fly an eagle or bird around the stadium prior to kickoff - not being a dick, I really would like to know as a brief google search returned nothing but Au results.

If you were "perturbed to a minor extent", you should probably be over the whoe thing weeks after the fact. No?

I don't know the first, but I believe Air Force has been flying a falcon at sporting events since the 1950s.

If you were "perturbed to a minor extent", you should probably be over the whoe thing weeks after the fact. No?

I don't know the first, but I believe Air Force has been flying a falcon at sporting events since the 1950s.

Can't find anything about Air Force's falcon flight back then but oh well.

Yeah dude I'm totally "over it", I just realized nearly a week a-priori that you had posted about not understanding why people are making a big deal about it, so I thought ahh hell I had better explain that it wasn't a big deal just a minor perturbing, that's my current posture.

Can we just get some more of those good Trump .gifs from you? seriously, i saved the meltdown thread one immediately

Can't find anything about Air Force's falcon flight back then but oh well.

Yeah dude I'm totally "over it", I just realized nearly a week a-priori that you had posted about not understanding why people are making a big deal about it, so I thought ahh hell I had better explain that it wasn't a big deal just a minor perturbing, that's my current posture.

Can we just get some more of those good Trump .gifs from you? seriously, i saved the meltdown thread one immediately

Experts once said falcons could not be trained to perform before huge crowds, that the birds would panic and flee. Since 1956, however, cadets have flown the birds at sporting events before thousands of cheering spectators. Six weeks or more and an average of 300 man-hours per bird are required to properly train a young falcon. When a bird is in top condition, it is able to fly for more than an hour and make repeated stoops at the baited lure swung by the cadet falconer. Although they can be trained to perform, falcons are never totally domesticated and remain wild creatures with strong, independent spirits.

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/school-bio/mascot.html

Keep the "posture" jokes coming. Must be nice when one a can only look to a terminology misunderstanding to take jabs at my intelligence.

I just realized nearly a week a-priori that you had posted about not understanding why people are making a big deal about it, so I thought ahh hell I had better explain that it wasn't a big deal just a minor perturbing, that's my current posture.

Keep the "posture" jokes coming. Must be nice when one a can only look to a terminology misunderstanding to take jabs at my intelligence.

I wasn't trying to take a jab at your intelligence w/ the 2nd use of posture, it actually seemed to fit perfectly but admittedly the first time was a jab at u Shocks - that's a good fact to know about the falcon, thanks!

I'm just so happy that they didn't release an eagle to fly around the stadium prior to the game, I am still upset about that fly over bama got against Michigan state.

I'll just sum it up again. It subjectively perturbed me to a *minor* extent & honestly it wouldn't have at all if it had been done across the board for the playoffs but yes, it is in fact a symbol for the United States E'town4Bama which is what it was all about but it still perturbed me to a very minor extent as an Auburn fan and I thought there may be a few fellow aufamily members who shared the same sentiment so I voiced it. It's the greatest rivalry in all the land that extends beyond one day and two hours in November but f*** it, I agree that patriotism/nationalism should trump the rivalry but for w/e reason it didn't do so for me.

Fair enough and I can understand why it would bother some of the AU faithful but I do think we should all agree that Alabama had nothing to do with it.

Fair enough and I can understand why it would bother some of the AU faithful but I do think we should all agree that Alabama had nothing to do with it.

I agree! Sometimes I just have to much Auburn in me.

Archived