Men vs. Ole Miss - Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good I'm glad Pearl did that even if it costs us the game bc that can snowball

...."even if costs us the game".? the way things were going , it was not going to make much difference in the game outcome...so BP might as well make his point. JMO

Agreed. Benching Bowers didn't cost AU anything tonight. That first half was begging for OM to run away with it and the did. Poor shot selection, poor rebounding, poor defense, bad fouls and dumb turnovers all mean AU looks like this and gets blown out. Just a bad night. Gotta shake it off, hopefully learn something, and Coke ready to compete against OSU Saturday.

He was benched when the game was still in the balance if I recall correctly

could be...was not too clear to me when he was gone... but OM got off to a hot start in the 2nd half and AU quit hitting the boards and the game momentum shifted right away. Lang kept it respectable but we were getting out rebounded by a smaller team.

Well, Auburn falls again on the road. We're just not quiet there yet. Not consistent enough yet. Once we do get one on the road, perhaps it will change the mentality of the team. Auburn falls. 80-63

Not saying we would've won if Cim played in the 2nd half. But he's either our 2nd or 3rd most important player on a team where we have no bodies. It was detrimental to our chances to win even if our chances were slim

What in the hell did Bowers do?

Pearl was clearly yelling his *** off to Cim to go set a screen for Canty on the last possession of the 1st half. Cim ignored BP and stayed in the corner with his hands on his knees. The entire broadcast could hear it over the stadium noise so I don't think he can say he didn't hear him. I heard him from my couch.

OM is a team AU should match up well against. However AU has taken 3 steps backwards since the UK-uat double. They believed they were good when they are not. Maybe this string of blowout losses will bring them back to reality, but when one of your leaders is benched for apparent insubordination, it usually means bad things for your season. AU is just too thin right now (in numbers and size) to compete with teams on the road. One can only hope they are able to win a couple more at home so there's some tangible improvement this season record-wise.

I'm not sure this game means anything much visa vi the future. All road games have been a disaster and most home games have been fairly well played.

For that reason,....if CB accepts what happened and moves on ....AU should have a reasonable chance against Oky State which is a10-10 team and not out of reach of Auburn.

A big noisy crowd would be the difference.

Auburn mentally has lost the game before it even started. This was a game Auburn could have won.

It will be interesting to see when Bowers plays again if at all.

This is becoming like the football team

The second half of this game was painful to watch. When the opponent gets 90% of the 50/50 balls, there are problems.

Sounds like something might have happened at the half.....they looked pretty good the entire first half, did not give up big runs and were close on the RBs....but immediately when the second half started, the team just died. Maybe it was the incident that Tiger mentioned in #84 above....but it was a different team those last 20 minutes.

Hoping that's behind them now.....AU can beat OSU if they play even close to the way they played against bama or UK...I mean, CB had something like 18 RBs against a pretty solid and big bama team.....it can be done ....

Slept most of second half. I noticed moody get about as hot as any player I have seen. We had no answers. Did bower not play at all?

Slept most of second half. I noticed moody get about as hot as any player I have seen. We had no answers. Did bower not play at all?

Missed most or all of the second half.....will be interesting to read the post game report tomorrow....might even have to check al.com for the story.

Definitely a chemistry situation with Bowers, which could easily overflow into the locker room. Bowers seems to have authority issues.....just an assessment.

Definitely a chemistry situation with Bowers, which could easily overflow into the locker room. Bowers seems to have authority issues.....just an assessment.

He's always seemed to have an attitude issue, but having no inside info on him, I've always been hesitant to claim it to be true. It certainly seems the case occasionally, but again it may be a misconception.

He's always seemed to have an attitude issue, but having no inside info on him, I've always been hesitant to claim it to be true. It certainly seems the case occasionally, but again it may be a misconception.

I don't get this assessment in the least. I've watched every basketball game our men/s team has played since Pearl arrived at Auburn and I see NOTHING from Bowers to indicated an attitude problem. He didn't do what his coach told him to do at the end of the half last night and sat most of the 2nd half because of it (we are assuming). This is the only time since Bowers has been here that I can recall him getting benched because of something. One incident does not translate into an attitude problem.

I don't get this assessment in the least. I've watched every basketball game our men/s team has played since Pearl arrived at Auburn and I see NOTHING from Bowers to indicated an attitude problem. He didn't do what his coach told him to do at the end of the half last night and sat most of the 2nd half because of it (we are assuming). This is the only time since Bowers has been here that I can recall him getting benched because of something. One incident does not translate into an attitude problem.

That's true but one incident....does not usually get a guy benched.... if that's what happened. For the time he was in the game in the first half, CB played about as he usually does in road games....missed some easy buckets but got some rebounds and I don't recall him taking any wild 3s for which I was grateful. But somewhere between the last minute of play and the opening of the second half....something happened. BP has not had the depth on the squad to crack down when players don't accept instruction...but sometimes enough is enough.

Interesting too in the "official" recap of the game by Charles Goldberg ....there is no mention of Bowers in the game write-up....no explanation about why he was missing most of the game....only an innocuous comment from BP about "that's what happens when you have 7 players" and lack of depth affecting the rebounding.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/012716aaa.html

I don't think the incident at the end of the first half got Bowers benched. He started the second half and had an assist to Canty and then a layup off an assist from Canty. The layup, I believe, was a set play off of an inbounds prior to which Pearl had a fit because Bowers was getting ready to throw the ball in when he was supposed to be on the court receiving the inbounds. Just my take, but maybe Pearl sensed a lack of focus or something because that is about the time that he went to the bench.

I don't think the incident at the end of the first half got Bowers benched. He started the second half and had an assist to Canty and then a layup off an assist from Canty. The layup, I believe, was a set play off of an inbounds prior to which Pearl had a fit because Bowers was getting ready to throw the ball in when he was supposed to be on the court receiving the inbounds. Just my take, but maybe Pearl sensed a lack of focus or something because that is about the time that he went to the bench.

seems reasonable...and as noted ...likely not just "one incident".....but something became the straw that broke the camel's back perhaps.

Archived