2017 4* DE Ryan Johnson

WarDamnEagleWDE

4 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

Nothing against Auburn academics but playing football and maintaining high academic standings in a challenging curriculum such as Engineering at a school like Stanford is a tall order.  As I recall, Ben Obamanu had the chance to go to Stanford but chose Auburn instead.  He was thus able to play closer to home while at the same time achieving his academic goals. Last I heard he was in Law School, or had recently graduated.  I imagine that he will embark on a successful career and the lack of a more "prestigious" degree will have little impact on his future.  This is just my take on academics.

Yeah I read an article not long ago that Obamanu is at UAT Law School and proudly wearing burnt orange and blue all over T-Town.  He represents AU very well from what I recall.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Yeah I read an article not long ago that Obamanu is at UAT Law School and proudly wearing burnt orange and blue all over T-Town.  He represents AU very well from what I recall.

Dude is all class. showed that after the ole miss loss where he dropped the would be GW or tying??? td pass.

Barton SImmons crystal balled him to Stanford tonight....... 

This is what burns me. We have been on this guy for awhile and then Stanford comes in and it  appears it's see you later. I know Stanford is a fine school with a great academic reputation but do you think the turds would have to be doing any last minute worrying about Stanford for a player they  really wanted four days before NSD?

59 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

This is what burns me. We have been on this guy for awhile and then Stanford comes in and it  appears it's see you later. I know Stanford is a fine school with a great academic reputation but do you think the turds would have to be doing any last minute worrying about Stanford for a player they  really wanted four days before NSD?

Stanford has been on him a long time too & Barton Simmons doesn't cover either team so his pick doesn't mean much.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Stanford has been on him a long time too & Barton Simmons doesn't cover either team so his pick doesn't mean much.

That's why in my post I said "appears" about his decision. I don't mean to disrespect Johnson or his decision, as I said Stanford is a fine school with a great academic reputation. But I saw where RJ wanted to major in engineering and I thought Auburn had a great engineering school. I just hope he doesn't take Horace Greeley's advice, "God west young man, go west".

42 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

That's why in my post I said "appears" about his decision. I don't mean to disrespect Johnson or his decision, as I said Stanford is a fine school with a great academic reputation. But I saw where RJ wanted to major in engineering and I thought Auburn had a great engineering school. I just hope he doesn't take Horace Greeley's advice, "God west young man, go west".

We do have a great engineering school...but not as good as Stanford's.

We need to close strong. 

As a parent of college kid, I would hate it if my son played where family could almost never see him play.  also, if he plans to return to the Southeast as adult, the Stanford degree vs the Auburn Engr degree is a 'push' or equal.  Auburn Engineers have a great regional reputation.  Stanford is a 'name', but ....

45 minutes ago, Beaker said:

As a parent of college kid, I would hate it if my son played where family could almost never see him play.  also, if he plans to return to the Southeast as adult, the Stanford degree vs the Auburn Engr degree is a 'push' or equal.  Auburn Engineers have a great regional reputation.  Stanford is a 'name', but ....

I don't know,.  Stanford is world renowned.   Either way,. The young man is in a great position. 

1 hour ago, au_bsci_04 said:

I think there were 4-5 commits tweeting at him to commit to AU.

no doubt. he was hanging out with them all last weekend. would be weird if all 3 of the big official visitors from last week (lancaster, taylor and johnson) did not come here. Usually for our big recruiting weekend it nets us 1 big fish. *knock on wood*

On 1/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, milehighfan said:

I'm going to be honest... if it weren't for the fact that I didn't pass the economic standards of Stanford's admission process (something the federal government made them drop 2 years after I was "deferred"), I'd be on a Stanford football forum right now instead of an Auburn forum. Stanford is borderline Ivy League education in California, and now they are perennial contenders in the PAC 10. That's hard to pass up if it's offered to you no matter how late they come into the game.

Auburn can't compete on education, they can't compete on weather, they can't compete on access to beaches and girls dressed for said weather and beaches... it's a pretty easy sell. The ONLY thing Auburn has on Stanford is that we are a better football program in the SEC... but you can still get into the league from Stanford. 

Good for you but i would never want my child exposed to the world view that is Stanford when they could be at Auburn. I guess it is just what you believe!

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm going to be honest... if it weren't for the fact that I didn't pass the economic standards of Stanford's admission process (something the federal government made them drop 2 years after I was "deferred"), I'd be on a Stanford football forum right now instead of an Auburn forum. Stanford is borderline Ivy League education in California, and now they are perennial contenders in the PAC 10. That's hard to pass up if it's offered to you no matter how late they come into the game.

Auburn can't compete on education, they can't compete on weather, they can't compete on access to beaches and girls dressed for said weather and beaches... it's a pretty easy sell. The ONLY thing Auburn has on Stanford is that we are a better football program in the SEC... but you can still get into the league from Stanford. 

I'm not sure those exist.

Just now, auol72 said:

Good for you but i would never want my child exposed to the world view that is Stanford when they could be at Auburn. I guess it is just what you believe!

I've lived up there. Just outside of city areas up there it's surprisingly conservative.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:
7 minutes ago, auol72 said:

I've lived up there. Just outside of city areas up there it's surprisingly conservative.

Yea... stay out of San Fran and away from Berkeley and you find a lot of normal folks in Cali.  Stanford is not an ultra-liberal college. It's not the most conservative college in the country, like Auburn, but it's far more even keel than most in Northern California.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... stay out of San Fran and away from Berkeley and you fine a lot of normal folks in Cali.  Stanford is not an ultra-liberal college. It's not the most conservative college in the country, like Auburn, but it's far more even keel than most in Northern California.

Yup! Loved living up there. Really miss the weather up there too.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... stay out of San Fran and away from Berkeley and you find a lot of normal folks in Cali.  Stanford is not an ultra-liberal college. It's not the most conservative college in the country, like Auburn, but it's far more even keel than most in Northern California.

Depends how you define normal. I lived in Marin county for four years and much prefer that brand of "normal" over what you find in the South.

3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Depends how you define normal. I lived in Marin county for four years and much prefer that brand of "normal" over what you find in the South.

I hear you... I'm more a Southern California guy than Northern, but the South can definitely have it's interesting characters unlike anything they've every seen in the entire state of California (outside of a theme park or sound stage).

Archived