2016 Auburn Rushing Attack

AUEngineer2016

I'm hoping to do a couple of these breakdowns over the course of the offseason, so I'm definitely looking for some feedback. Seeing as we are a "run first, play action offense", I figured that the running game would probably be the best place to start.

I'm not going to spend too terribly long on 2015, but simply put the offense did not live up to expectations in all aspects, but probably the most surprising of those was the running game. In hindsight, this lack of production should have been expected (after all, we lost 3 of our top rushers in Nick Marshall, Corey Grant, and CAP), but even so it's worth taking a minute to examine why we were not as potent as predicted:

1. We lost the threat of the QB run in the read option. Most of the time this season, if it looked like a read, it was a called run to the RB. Simply put we are not built to line up and hand the ball off to a RB right up the middle and be successful. That is for a number of reasons, which I may explore in another post (spoiler: I don't think that's a bad thing).
  2. Our offensive line was not the dominant force we had become used to. We lost our OL leader in Reese Dismukes and had some struggles throughout the year, including firing off the ball. It seemed that we were getting pushed around on every play, and it's hard for the RB to find holes if the OL doesn't open any.
  3. We did not have the threat of the passing game that we thought we would. If the defense isn't worried about having the ball thrown over their heads, they are going to bite down on the run and sell out to stop it. That can come back to hurt a defense if the offense has a prolific (or even just serviceable) passing attack, but simply put we did not.

Here's why I think that we will return to a more potent rushing attack in 2016:

1. At this point, our QB race is between 3 people: JF3, JJ, and SW (I left TQ off this list because he is still coming off an injury and is not participating in scrimmages). 2 of those 3 are very capable at running the football, and all 3 can in some capacity. I think that last year Gus got a little nervous about getting his QB hurt because we were low on backup plans. However, with the stable that we have this year of QBs (assuming they all stay healthy), I think we will see more QB runs in 2016. Here is an example of that from the bowl game this year:

7DZsAm.gif

Notice how the OL opens a big hole for Johnson to run through and how Chandler Cox gets a nice kick out block on the safety.

2. Losing PB will hut, but I think that Robinson and Thomas will help compliment JF3 and Johnson's running styles. JF3 is a very shifty, quick runner. To compliment him, we will need a big powerful back who can run inside. Conversely, Johnson is built to run right through the heart of the defense. To counter him, Roc will be a quicker more agile back who can attack the outside.

3. Though our WRs are young, they are certainly talented. I think that Kyle Davis and NCM can make an immediate impact in the passing game. Even if our passing game isn't the primary focus of our offense this year, it can still serve to open up the running game.

What do you guys think? Do you think that our running game will return to previous form in 2016?

Jovon wins the heisman. JF3 throws for 1500 and runs for a thousand. Take it to the bank!!

It is absolutely a must that JF3 is the answer. If he's not, and WB is the only answer, it might take until 2018 to beat one of our rivals again. Of course, the O-line is a frustrating variable, seeing as how we probably won't have more than three returning starters in any year soon. With a possible starting lineup of all upper classman and the entire interior returning (hopefully), if our O-line is too "young" this year, well they sure aren't going to be experienced enough any time soon. I'm not sure if Gus knows what the memory of the '70s means for us, but he needs a quick bounce back to reassure the fan base that we're not headed down that path.

It is absolutely a must that JF3 is the answer. If he's not, and WB is the only answer, it might take until 2018 to beat one of our rivals again. Of course, the O-line is a frustrating variable, seeing as how we probably won't have more than three returning starters in any year soon. With a possible starting lineup of all upper classman and the entire interior returning (hopefully), if our O-line is too "young" this year, well they sure aren't going to be experienced enough any time soon. I'm not sure if Gus knows what the memory of the '70s means for us, but he needs a quick bounce back to reassure the fan base that we're not headed down that path.

The 2018 thing was a joke right

I disagree. JJ's biggest issue last year was his decision making, which IMO was a direct result of his attitude. Go back and watch the first half of Arkansas 2014 or the 2nd half of Memphis 2015. Then go watch Louisville or LSU 2015. JJ is a completely different person in those games, and specifically it looks like he's putting too much pressure on himself.

In 2014, he knew that no matter what he did, Nick was going to be the starter. That meant there was no pressure. As a result, he stopped trying to be a Heisman caliber QB and just went out and had fun. Same story with Memphis- he focused on having fun and played looser.

In the games he's thrown picks in, his mistakes haven't been a result of bad mechanics or not being athletic enough, they have been a result of JJ forcing balls into tight windows or making a decision based off what coverage he sees regardless of who is open. If JJ can learn to play loose despite all of the expectations placed upon him, he is a prototypical big-bodied QB. Cam and Nick Marshall both had that skill- neither were bothered by expectations or pressure.

If he can relax, I think JJ will win the job. If not, look for JF3 to take over, and look for the play-calling be more inside zone-read heavy.

We won't be missing Barber this year. JR and Rock will be stuffing the stat sheet.

I actually think this is the rare case that the guy(s) replacing the previously departed starter will give us a boost in some regard. Not knocking Barber he was the flat out difference in some of our wins this past season and we wouldn't have made a bowl game without him. And we would've been even more of the laughingstock of the country after our Jacksonville State game because we lost that game without PB willing us to victory.

But I think we have more of a chance to hit those big plays that CGM's offense NEEDS for it to work with KJ, Roc, and JR taking the snaps at RB. Without big plays happening Gus often times seems to out-think himself in the process of having to methodically drive down the field. I'm hoping opposing teams don't catch on to this and copy the Miss St gameplan we saw them deploy against us this past season. Or Gus has elevated his offense to combat when defenses sell out to stop the big play and sell out to defend Gus' tendencies.

i think our rushing attack is gonna be insane this year.

Jeremy "Cam Jr." Johnson took a huge step towards the end of last year running the ball. He was able to run through LSU too!! I can't wait to see the video game numbers he's gonna put up this year.

1355355194531419935troll-md.png

I expect Cam Jr. to get at LEAST 750 yards rushing and Roc to double that number!!!

I think you are correct about the read option. What we were running last year was straight handoffs. JJ and SW weren't reading anything. If the light has come on for JJ I hope he gets a chance but I think JF3 is our best bet to get the real read option back into the attack and that is what gives defenses fits. The QB must be a real threat for the option to work and the quicker the he can make the read and hit the hole or get around the edge the better. I'm a little concerned about what we are hearing about his size but I also hear he is really quick and that might help offset those concerns.

Jeremy "Cam Jr." Johnson took a huge step towards the end of last year running the ball. He was able to run through LSU too!! I can't wait to see the video game numbers he's gonna put up this year.

I expect Cam Jr. to get at LEAST 750 yards rushing and Roc to double that number!!!

Has JJ decided he doesn't mind getting hit? If he's going to rack up +750 yrds rushing, he's gotta LOVE contact and getting hit by freight trains disguised as men.

Jovon wins the heisman. JF3 throws for 1500 and runs for a thousand. Take it to the bank!!

Mark my words??

Personally, I think JF3 is too small to last more than five games on our schedule.. He is just to small. I do think Gus is going to go all in on the read option this year Jovon will hit 2000 yards. Could JF3 when the job, most likely, but I would not be surprised if Barrett finishes the season. either way, the offense will look more like it did in 13.

Personally, I think JF3 is too small to last more than five games on our schedule.. He is just to small. I do think Gus is going to go all in on the read option this year Jovon will hit 2000 yards. Could JF3 when the job, most likely, but I would not be surprised if Barrett finishes the season. either way, the offense will look more like it did in 13.

They're trying to get him to 195 before the start of the season. Same mark Marshall was at in 2013.

Can I get a loan from that bank? ;)

Bless your heart.

Most polite insult ever.

They're trying to get him to 195 before the start of the season. Same mark Marshall was at in 2013.

Regardless of whether or not JF3 wins the job if our stregth coach gets him up to 195 that is impressive.

Has JJ decided he doesn't mind getting hit? If he's going to rack up +750 yrds rushing, he's gotta LOVE contact and getting hit by freight trains disguised as men.

YaBoy is being sarcastic I believe. He's been posting this same stuff the past few days and judging from his posts during the season, no way he believes anything he's saying.

Bless your heart.

It was a joke, "Ty."

Bless your heart.

Most polite insult ever.

Only when it follows an insult.

"That girl is wearing hideous clothes. Bless ber heart..."

Archived