Malzahn's Weekly Presser - Arkansas State Game

tombigbeetiger

Love him or hate him.  Believe him or don't believe him.  Will it happen or won't it happen.

Bottom line is, as far as Gus' press conference goes, everything he said was the "best case scenario" that any one of us would want to hear.

So now, with that said....  Doom and Gloom over here <----  / Sunshine Pumpers over here ---->

Now...GO!!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Love him or hate him.  Believe him or don't believe him.  Will it happen or won't it happen.

Bottom line is, as far as Gus' press conference goes, everything he said was the "best case scenario" that any one of us would want to hear.

So now, with that said....  Doom and Gloom over here <----  / Sunshine Pumpers over here ---->

Now...GO!!

I like what he said.  Just show me Gus. I want so much to believe he is not just feeding us BS.  We will see against Texas A&M and LSU.  Arky State is awful.

wde

21 minutes ago, WinForAuburn said:

It's still scary that "they" thought it was actually a good plan prior to the game.

Well... in what little defense that one can muster, I have read quotes from the Clemson coaches that did say that they were scrambling to keep up.  Unfortunately, so were we.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely. As of right this minute, the only things he can do are 1) say the right things and 2) do the right things. We're only privy to the former, and he accomplished that. And, honestly, he hasn't always managed to do that. So this was a tiny win for me.

But I don't think anybody feels the ship has been righted. Certainly we are all hoping that process *begins* on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

I like what he said.  Just show me Gus. I want so much to believe he is not just feeding us BS.  We will see against Texas A&M and LSU.  Arky State is awful.

wde

Absolutely!  I love what he said but as my wife likes to say "tell him to put it in the paycheck!"

I'm gonna choose to believe.  And if I'm wrong?  Well, at least I'll be in familiar territory.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. As of right this minute, the only things he can do are 1) say the right things and 2) do the right things. We're only privy to the former, and he accomplished that. And, honestly, he hasn't always managed to do that. So this was a tiny win for me.

But I don't think anybody feels the ship has been righted. Certainly we are all hoping that process *begins* on Saturday. 

It is a reversal of his stance on the matter in the post-game presser, where he basically doubled down on it.  Considering how defensive he was about it, I do wonder if he has genuinely accepted that it was a bad idea.

As I said in one of these threads, I had never seen anything quite like that in decades of watching football. But as a Gus supporter, what had bothered me more than anything was why he would even even think this was a good idea in the first place. He did make "some" adjustments at the half so I was willing to chalk it up to one of those things people come up with that sounded good at the time or it was a mid life crisis thing, I wasn't sure. Well it didn't work so I'm glad he came to grips with it.

So lets get back to some smash mouth football, solid OL run blocking, a power run game with Pettway, Johnson the speed/receiving back, let SW get his timing down with these receivers and let's not waste the good defense that appears to be developing. A lot of good teams lost on Saturday, so as long as Gus makes the right adjustments from here, we can have a very good season with this defense.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

It is a reversal of his stance on the matter in the post-game presser, where he basically doubled down on it.  Considering how defensive he was about it, I do wonder if he has genuinely accepted that it was a bad idea.

I'm not so worried about his feelings on what happened against Clemson. What I think is more important is what he plans to do going forward. Perhaps there's not much difference between the two, but as long as he plans to give his quarterback a chance to succeed in future games, I will do my best to forget the Clemson game. 

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well... in what little defense that one can muster, I have read quotes from the Clemson coaches that did say that they were scrambling to keep up.  Unfortunately, so were we.

I think that was the thought in even coming up with this plan.  IMO I feel like Gus thought he could keep them guessing and that would have more of an effect on Clemson's D than our Offense.  I do think he overlooked their O-line which basically pushed us around the first half and that threw off the running game which compounded the offense's issues.  Made some adjustments at halftime and we didn't see as much of a carousal but still too much of one to win the game in the 2nd half.  I wasn't so bothered about him switching QBs but rather when he switched them.  It seemed like every time a QB did something good or started to progress then they were switched out.  That timing made no sense so I'm glad that he admitting it so we can try to get the offense going without complicating it.

after thinking about it for a couple minutes.  i wonder how he wasnt able to see it during the game.   38 yards in the first half.   Granted the OL should shoulder most of the blame

3 minutes ago, McFU said:

I do think he overlooked their O-line which basically pushed us around the first half and that threw off the running game which compounded the offense's issues.

I have a bad feeling that the mystique that is Carl Lawson made them feel like our O-Line was better than it was.  I also hope that Clemson's O-Line was better than I expected... because Carl and crew should have spent a lot more time in the backfield.

45 minutes ago, aubinvnam said:

It is good to hear from him but it almost makes the loss worse.  But for those ridiculous shenanigans, we might well be 1-0 right now with the best win of the first weekend.

Yes but just think if we had pulled it out at the end of the game Saturday night. He would possibly be continuing the experiment. By no means glad we lost but when you win your problems are glossed over and it can give you a false sense of security. The loss made him reconsider. 

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

after thinking about it for a couple minutes.  i wonder how he wasnt able to see it during the game.   38 yards in the first half.   Granted the OL should shoulder most of the blame

Seems like the OL play is getting tremendously overlooked here.  As mad as I was after the game I have had time to think it over and if the OL had blocked better it seems like the QB plan may have worked better.  That being said I am glad we are back down to a normal QB rotation. 

If you didnt get a chance to hear it- his tone is apologetic and sincere. Not robotic. Id give thanks to Kristi Malzahn, since a coaches wife is probably the only person who can make a coach feel dumb.  I think its gonna be a change and what we expected to see week 1. Only part that bothers me is his interest in the Cox whirly-bird play.  Again, sounds like he realized it didnt work but he seemed interested in it still

Malzahn probably didn't realize how disjointed the substitutions were until he saw the film.  Everything looks different watching from a distance than on the field.  He may have had that "Let's take a step back and see" approach.  Either way, great news!

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I have a bad feeling that the mystique that is Carl Lawson made them feel like our O-Line was better than it was.  I also hope that Clemson's O-Line was better than I expected... because Carl and crew should have spent a lot more time in the backfield.

i think that was mostly by design. you can't just go after a qb like Watson. he will shred you. the defense contained Watson very well. its doens't bother me they didnt get to him more. just my opinion. 

Just now, fasttimes said:

i think that was mostly by design. you can't just go after a qb like Watson. he will shred you. the defense contained Watson very well. its doens't bother me they didnt get to him more. just my opinion. 

Hope you're right.  I expect to see a lot of grass stains on the QB this weekend.

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Seems like the OL play is getting tremendously overlooked here.  As mad as I was after the game I have had time to think it over and if the OL had blocked better it seems like the QB plan may have worked better.  That being said I am glad we are back down to a normal QB rotation. 

He talked about that a bit, sounds like theyre fixing it, Cole Cubelic even said it wasnt as bad as what it looked like. Clemson did stuff we didnt expect and it was those guys first game together. Theyve got the talent, just need to put it together. I think a solid run game helps their Pass pro as itll take pressure off

I agree the goal was to most likely contain.  They did cause a little disruption for Watson though. He wasn't entirely comfortable back there.  The Holsey pick was a result of that.  I would have liked to see a little more push up the middle, but I believe that is where Clemson was most experienced. 

4 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

If you didnt get a chance to hear it- his tone is apologetic and sincere. Not robotic. Id give thanks to Kristi Malzahn, since a coaches wife is probably the only person who can make a coach feel dumb.  I think its gonna be a change and what we expected to see week 1. Only part that bothers me is his interest in the Cox whirly-bird play.  Again, sounds like he realized it didnt work but he seemed interested in it still

So true...can strip you bare with one look.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

"Moving forward Sean White will be our starting quartarback. Franklin will rep with the twos."

What I wanted to hear.

Yes! Thanks to all for providing updates. 

15 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I didn't get to hear this press conference, but did watch the one post game...I can imagine that his emotions (not necessarily about being wrong,but losing the game, him feeling solely responsible, etc), came across as very defensive. He's had time to calm down, review the game and realize it's a new week and a new game plan is needed. I so badly want him to get it together (I think he will). I don't want to have a coaching carousel where I see him leaving, getting picked up as a head coach and being extremely successful while we start all over again. I want him successful here. Aside from the crazy calls and QB changes, had execution and blocking been a bit smoother I don't think his plan would have been "as" crazy. 

Archived