Auburns WRs and Blocking, Etc.

BHDAU1

A couple of observations that I would like discussion on.  1. How many others here watched many of the running and passing plays that had potential to be large gains fail to do so because the WRs out there didnt stay on their blocks long enough? Seems to me that there were at least a dozen times where I saw the WR standing there as the db they should be blocking made the tackle.  Stevens was particularly guilty of this numerous times. Some of these pitiful attempts were the difference between a play gaining 5 yrds and likely taking it 20 yrds or to the house.  2. We have never had this many highly ranked freshman at WR who are in SEC ready bodies and Gus wont give them many reps nor will he call a pass play farther than ten yrds. I have to wonder, how many of these guys will stick around at AU if they arent getting PT and passes thrown their way?  There are very few schools I can come up with that would not likely be starting any one of them.  They have to be aware of that as well....

The problem I see is the fact that we are asking certain types of WRs to play like MSU and Georgia Tech receivers. Who the heck is the little walk on WR going to block down the field? Personally, I wish we would recruit big, large receivers who can make plays on 3rd and long/plus have the bodies to just block people by getting in the way. To me, it is pointless to recruit the type of WRs that would fit better under a Sumlin type of offense. Darvin Adams, Zachery, Duke Williams, Sammie Coates, etc. Those aren't small dudes. 

Big targets is what I would like Gus go to. Specifically since he has such a limited route tree and want to run the zone read. 

12 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

We have never had this many highly ranked freshman at WR who are in SEC ready bodies and Gus wont give them many reps nor will he call a pass play farther than ten yrds.

Odds are that they haven't moved up the depth chart to earn those reps.  Davis was out there most of the game. 

As for not calling pass plays farther than 10 yards... by they time our receivers got farther than 10 yards, Sean had a face full of Miles Garrett... that's the only reason you weren't seeing those plays.

No disagreement with point 1.  Kodi needs to get on that.

Lion, you are correct about the time limitations.  SW hasnt had much time to throw other than Ark St. and the end of the Clemson game when they only rushed 3 or 4 and everyone else dropped into coverage. I just wonder why there are not some plays in AU's arsenal that use a TE and blocking back out of the shotgun to leave some more people at the line and in the backfield to give him more time.  Drop the stinking read option sets at times and take a WR off the field in exchange for an extra lineman and see if the physical specimens that we have at WR can get open.  For gosh sake there doesnt need to be a ball fake every play when u have potentially great receivers.  

I think we have the man in Kodi to handle wr blocking. I think improvement will come. Stevens has sat on the bench for years for a reason. Maybe this is his year to both catch the ball and block. Sammie I believe was a 3 star athlete who just out worked anybody else. These freshmen are stellar recruits and need a year under Kodi and I feel we will be pleased with their development. Kudo's to Craig for that. Our smaller guys are just too undersized to be dominating at blocking. Maybe annoying but not dominating.

Just like when Auburn was good at running the ball even when the D knew it was coming.  The pass can be effective in the same manner if you can block at the line and u have a superior athelete at WR. I might be wrong but i think there are several guys that fit that description on the roster.  

12 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

Lion, you are correct about the time limitations.  SW hasnt had much time to throw other than Ark St. and the end of the Clemson game when they only rushed 3 or 4 and everyone else dropped into coverage. I just wonder why there are not some plays in AU's arsenal that use a TE and blocking back out of the shotgun to leave some more people at the line and in the backfield to give him more time.  

Lack of a good tight end would be my guess.  As several have pointed out, Cox shows promise but is inconsistent with his blocks.

Archived