AUF Anglers

Got 14 today. Didn’t take any pictures yet. I will when I clean them tomorrow. Shingles SEEM to be drying up very nicely,( knock on wood) compared to most people I’ve seen and talked to. I fished from 10:30-3:30 had Advil and some stronger stuff in my pocket and didn’t need it. Wore my fingerless wool glove on my left hand and it worked out well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

Got 14 today. Didn’t take any pictures yet. I will when I clean them tomorrow. Shingles SEEM to be drying up very nicely,( knock on wood) compared to most people I’ve seen and talked to. I fished from 10:30-3:30 had Advil and some stronger stuff in my pocket and didn’t need it. Wore my fingerless wool glove on my left hand and it worked out well. 

Hope they continue to dissolve and glad you didn’t need the stronger stuff. Caught 10 big bream today with Mrs Salty in about hour and half. Filleted, butter, lemon, Everglades seasoning and put on grill. Good stuff. Gorgeous day in East Alabama.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alexava said:

ADCD6D32-43D4-4E68-8ACF-2E95EDB13410.jpeg

Great. What fillet knife is that? I use electric knife and in need of a new one. Always ice down after catching and before cleaning. Seems to make job cleaner and easier. Also keep until next day if I opt to have a couple of beers. Beer and electric knife not a great combo. Fish glove a plus also.

• Like 1

October 2021 Lake Martin night Tournament 6.71lb

243192243_4280354892081798_4408420811566126000_n.jpg

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

November Lay Lake 2021 5.04lb 

Sylacauga Classic 21.jpg

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Congratulations

to Jamison Drake and Alex Girodo for finishing 4th in the BASS High School Tournament out of 220+ boats on Lake Guntersville having 18.62 pounds. Way to go guys! Also congrats to Landon Story and Garrett Sharp for coming in 21st. The East Limestone Fishing Team is off to a great start this year!

Edited by alexava
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 7:20 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Great. What fillet knife is that? I use electric knife and in need of a new one. Always ice down after catching and before cleaning. Seems to make job cleaner and easier. Also keep until next day if I opt to have a couple of beers. Beer and electric knife not a great combo. Fish glove a plus also.

I gut them at a minimum like most game. Less fishy/gamey tasting. Then put on ice or hang in cooler. Filleting/skinning can come later and indeed much easier. Try it. 

Always have a beer or three. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

I gut them at a minimum like most game. Less fishy/gamey tasting. Then put on ice or hang in cooler. Filleting/skinning can come later and indeed much easier. Try it. 

Always have a beer or three. ;)

If intention is more than a few hours in cooler I will gut them.

Process of fishing/cleaning is sorta like lighting/cooking on the the grill. At some point it will include drinking beer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

If intention is more than a few hours in cooler I will gut them.

Process of fishing/cleaning is sorta like lighting/cooking on the the grill. At some point it will include drinking beer.

If I gut them, I’m going all the way and finishing the job. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alexava said:

If I gut them, I’m going all the way and finishing the job. 

Agree and have rarely gutted only. Take the fillets off and rest of the fish goes in a bucket. Discard remnants in Georgia fans yard if possible. 

Seriously, in the south throw them out anywhere and usually no sign the next next day. Coons, armadillos……etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Agree and have rarely gutted only. Take the fillets off and rest of the fish goes in a bucket. Discard remnants in Georgia fans yard if possible. 

Seriously, in the south throw them out anywhere and usually no sign the next next day. Coons, armadillos……etc

There’s a narrow creek about a mile from me. Very little traffic on this road. I stop on the bridge and dump it. In a couple minutes the current has taken it out of sight. I have always considered getting a minnow trap and catching minnows there  for free I just keep procrastinating it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m fishing for largemouth in north Alabama-Elk River and Second Creek. I catch a lot in spring and fall but winter bass seem to elude me. Any tips on lures and where to find them would be appreciated greatly. 
War Eagle 🦅 today and I hope we clinch the title outright!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I’m fishing for largemouth in north Alabama-Elk River and Second Creek. I catch a lot in spring and fall but winter bass seem to elude me. Any tips on lures and where to find them would be appreciated greatly. 

Not sure about north Alabama and bigger reservoirs. Did well month of February on small John boat type lakes in East Alabama. Fun using light spinning rig and bladed jig. Missed some big fish but a ton of 1 to 3 pound fish. Have learned to enjoy baseball on these beautiful spring days. Need a little chop on the water and some clouds to catch fish most days, jmo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Found an old article that might help. Best of luck!

https://aonmag.com/fishing/wheeler-bass-in-march/#:~:text=“Fishing Wheeler Lake in March,shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not sure about north Alabama and bigger reservoirs. Did well month of February on small John boat type lakes in East Alabama. Fun using light spinning rig and bladed jig. Missed some big fish but a ton of 1 to 3 pound fish. Have learned to enjoy baseball on these beautiful spring days. Need a little chop on the water and some clouds to catch fish most days, jmo.

Love bass fishing with some chop in the water and clouds dark as when rains approahing.....love throwing spinnerbaits.......as it moves towards June/July approaching stoms make me extra cautious.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Rapala Shad Raps in March on Wilson and Pickwick always produced for me.   I would think Wheeler would be the same way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

Rapala Shad Raps in March on Wilson and Pickwick always produced for me.   I would think Wheeler would be the same way.  

Shad Rap was my “go to” when I bass fished often. Got tired of digging all six hooks out when biting aggressively. Went to ER twice in my younger day with lures lodged in me. Once in the hand and another in the knee. Worked out well because 10 years apart and due tetanus both visits. Last visit the doc instructed me on hook removal using fishing line and pressure on hook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Shad Rap was my “go to” when I bass fished often. Got tired of digging all six hooks out when biting aggressively. Went to ER twice in my younger day with lures lodged in me. Once in the hand and another in the knee. Worked out well because 10 years apart and due tetanus both visits. Last visit the doc instructed me on hook removal using fishing line and pressure on hook.

Or hook removal pliers! Lol