Things I Saw - UConn

JwgreDeux

FINAL (OT): Auburn 70  UConn 67

We surged late in the second half, stumbled in the final minutes of regulation, but rallied for a great overtime road win.

The winning team was +5 in rebounds , +6 in offensive rebounds, +5 in second chance points, and +10 in points in the paint. Surprisingly, this team was your Auburn Tigers.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-23-at-3.52.07-PM_iop

This l type of response is exactly what you hope to see from a group of young players facing adversity in their second straight game on the road. 

We pressed a bit early in the game, but Jared Harper took control late to earn a big win heading into conference play. Defense and rebounding, plain and simple, got it done tonight. This wasn't Austin Wiley, or Horace Spencer's return, this was just determination and development of a young team. Danjel Purifoy played almost the whole game and brought down 15 boards along the way. Mustapha Heron had a another productive game and Harper continues to impress in big moments. 

The defense wasn't great, but it was close. We will have a very good chance to win any game we hold our opponents under 70 points. 

The offense wasn't great, shot a poor percentage, forced some shots early, but attacked the basket in the second half and crashed the boards. It was a great adjustment by CBP and Harper. 

One theme we have been watching all season is how our youth develops. Well, this is another mark in the Win column and another tick on our growth chart. It would have been easy for this group to fold once UConn was able to force overtime, instead we came out swinging and got the W. Continued some growing pains for sure, but you have to be encouraged about the response and the rebounding.

Enjoy this one. We are in a great spot heading into conference play, with all of our dreams still alive. With this victory, we are 1 shy of last year's win total .... it's only December. So for all of you not yet getting excited about Auburn Basketball, what are you waiting for?!

War Eagle!

Edited by JwgreDeux
  • Like 2

I was also worried we'd come into OT flat. With how the end of regulation played out on Uconn's side it would have been easy to see the momentum swing in uconn's favor. 

The past three wins are big as we have been able to pull ahead in close victories. They have also, hopefully, showed our young guys how easy it is for teams to make a quick run and get back into the game. 

Great week of Ws for our ooc resume especially if we end up a bubble team.

Edited by Charhair
  • Like 1

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

I loved seeing how Danjel handled himself during a bad shooting night for him. He couldn't hit the side of a barn from deep, so instead he let others do the scoring and contributed in a significant way in rebounds. In my gut, I knew he had one big shot in him and that was the crucial tying 3.

still, he seems to have relied too heavily on the 3 ball since the CC game. He can cut to the basket, and I wish he would begin doing that again versus being passive scorer from 3.

Anfernee McLemore—huge game from him. It's been nice seeing him and Harper grow. It honestly looks like he's taken Spencer's spot in the lineup for now. He contributes well on both ends.

my MVP so far is Heron due to his consistency. He's scoring 15+ consistently, and could go off for 30 any given night I feel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Can anyone shed light on the content on the whiteboard in the locker room. Are there game notes for each player following their jersey number?

There was a lot in that board, definitely game notes. Hard to see as much is obstructed. Appears to primarily be defensive assignments and help side alignments, based on the alignment of UConn's offensive set. 

Our RPI is up to #42 with a home game coming against #39 Georgia. We are on the cusp y'all, everything is there for the taking.