Gibbs the New DC?

LegalEagle

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...39409177840.xml

Well, it seems as if this guy came out of nowhere for the job! I don't know how good it will be to recycle old coaches sons back into our program. Seems as if he has a hot head also, getting fired at Denver. Like father , like son! No mention of most people's (at least here) choice, RCS. I haven't heard much about him, except for this site. No big names on the list mentioned in the article. But then again, who are the big names out there that would be willing to look at Auburn?

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...39409177840.xml

Well, it seems as if this guy came out of nowhere for the job! I don't know how good it will be to recycle old coaches sons back into our program. Seems as if he has a hot head also, getting fired at Denver. Like father , like son! No mention of most people's (at least here) choice, RCS. I haven't heard much about him, except for this site. No big names on the list mentioned in the article. But then again, who are the big names out there that would be willing to look at Auburn?

143593[/snapback]

With all the talk about getting a "big name", with Tubs saying we'd get somebody as good or better than Chizik and with LSU hiring Campo (although he sucked as a head coach and may not be any good he still has name recognition), this hire wouldn't seem to me like we traded up or even. It looks on the surface to be a step down.

What can I say, though. The Borges hire concerned me, too. We were a laughingstock then. I'm no longer concerned and nobody's laughing any more.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I don't know this guy personally, but when I was at Auburn I was in ROTC with a good friend of his from Auburn High. Our mutual friend always liked him. I think this would be a great hire. Denver has always had a heck of a defense, but can you name any big name players besides Atwater?

Here's one person hoping it's true!

I don't know this guy personally, but when I was at Auburn I was in ROTC with a good friend of his from Auburn High.  Our mutual friend always liked him.  I think this would be a great hire.  Denver has always had a heck of a defense, but can you name any big name players besides Atwater? 

Here's one person hoping it's true!

143705[/snapback]

Karl Mecklenburg.......Trevor Pryce, Champ Bailey.....I can't think of anymore :big:

Exactly......I'm sure that Coach Tubbs, if he thinks he's a Great Hire, has done an extensive interview with him.........The same happened with Big Al. Nobody, except for Stat (He knows everything about anything, seriously), knew anything about him......But, almost everyone else was like....Why Him, he coached at Indiana...bla,bla,bla........But, Coach Tubbs loved what he saw. That's all that matters......If CTT thinks he'll step right in and keep this Ship heading in the correct direction, then By God he'll be a Heck of a hire.......War "BY GOD" Eagle

Coach Tuberville, the BEST COACH in AMERICA as voted by his peers, is fully capable of hiring the RIGHT man for the job. I will trust his judgement as to who that person may be and simply say WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Let's just hope CAB isn't a "one hit wonder"! The new DC hire, hopefully, will be a good one. It doesn't appear to be right now, however.

143802[/snapback]

PowerI, is that you in an Aubie 7 suit?

From ITAT

Tuberville Excited About New Defensive Coordinator

By Mark Murphy Inside the Auburn Tigers

Date: Feb 2, 2005

David Gibbs brings college and NFL experience to Auburn and will be a "player's coach," Tommy Tuberville says.

Auburn, Ala.--A former Auburn resident with coaching experience in the collegiate and NFL ranks has been named as the new defensive coordinator at Auburn, Coach Tommy Tuberville announced on Wednesday. He is expected to start at work in Auburn on Thursday.

David Gibbs, who last coached with the NFL’s Denver Broncos, has been chosen to replace Gene Chizik, who left Auburn last month to become assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator at the University of Texas.

Chizik served as Auburn’s secondary coach and defensive coordinator the past three years.

"He kind of reminds of a young Al Borges--a student of the game," Tuberville said. "His dad is still a very high profile coach in the NFL. After visiting with him, and probably a dozen other people about this job, there is no doubt he fits what we need."

Gibbs, who coached safeties for one season with the Broncos and the whole secondary for 2 1/2 seasons, has four years as a defensive coordinator at the collegiate level at the University of Minnesota.

Gibbs graduated from Auburn High School where he was an outstanding athlete while his father, Alex Gibbs, was an offensive line coach at Auburn University as an assistant to head coach Doug Barfield. Alex Gibbs moved on to the NFL and spent 10 seasons with the Denver Broncos where he developed a reputation as one of the nation’s top offensive line coaches. He is currently coaching for the Atlanta Falcons.

David Gibbs, who is 37, was believed to have a variety of coaching opportunities despite being fired by Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan during the 2004 season. Reports from Denver indicate there were coaching disagreements between Gibbs and defensive coordinator Larry Coyer.

Gibbs, who was in Auburn over the weekend, joined the Broncos staff for the 2001 season after spending four seasons as defensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota where he also worked as secondary coach.

"My criteria for this job this year was trying to hire an NFL coach, somebody that can take us to the next level," Tuberville said. "This past year we kind of hit the wall on some things we were doing defensively. We kind of struggled the last part of the season in a couple of games we had. We felt like we needed to bring in somebody who could take us to another level in what we are doing on defense.

"We are not going to change anything we are doing defensively. We are going to add to it. I think David is going to be able to help us. What they did at Denver is almost exactly what we are doing. We will not change any of the terminology. He will have to adapt to that, which will be on his shoulders, but we did it last year with Al and it really worked out well for us going into spring practice."

Tommy Tuberville

Gibbs played football at Auburn High School and later for the University of Colorado where he played on four bowl teams and was a four-year letterman. He was a starter on CU’s 1989 team that finished 11-1 overall and No. 4 nationally. He earned All-Big Eight Academic honors in 1990 as a senior on an 11-1-1 team that was co-national champion with Georgia Tech.

He worked as a graduate assistant coach at Oklahoma from 1991-92 and at Colorado from 1993-94 before becoming the secondary coach at Kansas in 1995 and 1996.

He moved to Minnesota as the nation’s youngest Division I defensive coordinator where he inherited a Golden Gopher team that was ranked last in every Big 10 defensive statistical category. His 1999 defense that allowed 319.9 yards per game was his best. It ranked fourth in the Big 10 and 22nd nationally in total defense. It also led the conference in pass defense while being ranked No. 2 in the conference and No. 8 nationally in both scoring defense and pass defense efficiency.

Tuberville said Gibbs visited him in Auburn last weekend and two met on the road and talked about the job on the phone. He said of the group of coaches he was considering that Gibbs stood out as his clear favorite.

"There was no doubt who we needed to come here and coach this team," Tuberville said. "He has high energy. He is big on fundamentals and techniques. He is a player's coach. He works hard. He puts his arms around him. That is what I heard from the Denver coaches out there--the players really enjoyed playing for him and the coaches at Minnesota."

Tuberville said Gibbs had his pick of a variety of jobs. "I think we are fortunate to have him come here to Auburn."

At Minnesota, he coached safety Tyrone Carter, who won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation’s top defensive back, an honor won by Auburn’s Carlos Rogers last season. Carter was Minnesota’s first player to win All-American honors in consecutive seasons since 1962.

Gibbs’ 1998 defense, which ranked fourth in the Big 10 and 13th nationally in rushing defense at 103.7 yards per game, gave up the fewest yards on the ground of any University of Minnesota team since 1962. His defense has the top three single-season QB sack team totals in school history with 44 in 1999, 41 in 1997 and 38 in 1998.

In 2001 he coached the safeties with the Broncos and coached all of the defensive backs beginning in 2002.

Tuberville said he had no problems with the fact that Gibbs was fired during the 2004 season with the Broncos. "It was one of those things he stood up for and thank goodness for that because now he is going to be with us and we are going to benefit from it. It wasn't anything to do anything that would keep him from having a job anywhere else--I will put it that way."

Auburn is scheduled to begin spring practice on March 1st. Last season the Tigers broke in a new offensive coordinator, Al Borges.

CTT is only as good as his assistants.

143678[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well then, HE must have some GREAT assistants ! ! ! :au:

Let's just hope CAB isn't a "one hit wonder"! The new DC hire, hopefully, will be a good one. It doesn't appear to be right now, however.

143802[/snapback]

What in the world would make you say something like that!? :blink:

Please, explain why it "does not appear" to be a good hire. :blink:

I would LOVE to read this ! ! ! ! :lol:

I am as excited as I can be about this hire. Just think about all of the talent that he will have to work with, just like Borges did last year. Just like CTT said, "We felt like we needed to bring in somebody who could take us to another level in what we are doing on defense." If CTT feels that Gibbs can take us to a level higher than where we were with Chizik, who am I to question him? War Eagle!

143802[/snapback]

I think statements go hand in hand with ones that I have ranted and raved at my UAT friends for saying. This shows that no matter that we went 13-0, have won 15 straight games, an SEC title, a BCS game and if not for that screwed up system would have played for the NC.. this shows that despite all that, people STILL do not trust our coach, and think that just because we lost some players and a DC are going to drop off the face of ther earth. This coach, who as WarTim always emphasizes is THE BEST coach in America as voted by 3 different awards has done more in 1 season than some do in a career. You forget that we still have a lot of talent. There is no reason to believe that this isn't a good hire, it's just a statement that we still have fans that don't trust their coach even though he led them to a championship season. How does it look to other people when we have fans making statements like this? Come on, get behind your coach, appreciate what we have and stay behind the Tigers!

i, for one, am really, really excited about this hire. he was productive with minimal talent in the big ten. i mean come on... if you can get minnesota in the top 20 in total defense, you can keep auburn in the top five. he's proved he can coach players to greatness (champ bailey in denver and a thorpe award winner in minnesota). he ran an aggressive defense in the big ten (44 sacks in a year is a lot). it's going to be a lot of fun. he's a young guy that, if successful, we'll probably lose in two or three years, but that kind of energy is going to really help us stay hungry next year. i think it's good to have a new voice every 3-5 years, personally, and i'm really excited to see what gibbs gives us next season.

Gibbs will breathe new life into the secondary. Al will have the offfense ready...doubt it not. The 2005 FB season just took a step up. Watch out West...here we come again. It will take the other teams a while to figure out our new defensive allignments.

143802[/snapback]

I think statements go hand in hand with ones that I have ranted and raved at my UAT friends for saying. This shows that no matter that we went 13-0, have won 15 straight games, an SEC title, a BCS game and if not for that screwed up system would have played for the NC.. this shows that despite all that, people STILL do not trust our coach, and think that just because we lost some players and a DC are going to drop off the face of ther earth. This coach, who as WarTim always emphasizes is THE BEST coach in America as voted by 3 different awards has done more in 1 season than some do in a career. You forget that we still have a lot of talent. There is no reason to believe that this isn't a good hire, it's just a statement that we still have fans that don't trust their coach even though he led them to a championship season. How does it look to other people when we have fans making statements like this? Come on, get behind your coach, appreciate what we have and stay behind the Tigers!

143847[/snapback]

War D Lowe

Unless you know me, and you don't, don't put words into my mouth. If you have your own doubts fine, but don't let them spill over into my posts. I was simply saying: I hope that this was not a one-time thing for our offense. I hope that CAB continues to be successful and we continue to win. Maybe I was talking over your head, because I was brief. I still don't see this as a GREAT defensive hire for Auburn. Only time will tell us if it was. It was not a flashy hire NOR was it the one the "experts" here decreed early on, which makes you wonder how much they know. I do trust "our" coach. We have too. I personally don't care what "other fans" think. They are of no concern to me, especailly those losers from the other side of the state. My statement was just my opinion, and as usual, when someone here doesn't agree with another's opinion, they put it down and say it's wrong! Oh well! Guess what I don't care about that either! :au:

I don't have any real insight to add to the topic, but I just have a gut feeling that this was a very good move. As my friend mcgufcm said, he got a lot out of the talent he had as a DC in Minnesota, just think what he can do here. I can't really fathom us ever having a bad defense while Tubs is around. Don't get me wrong, we had a few average ones, like 2001, but never a bad one. Tubs has forgotten more about defense than most of us will ever learn about defense. Most of us just plain aren't qualified to doubt his defensive hires. And it appears that he was really impressed with what he saw in Gibbs, just like he was with Borges, who was a dark horse candidate, and with Chizik before that. Anyway, with the talent we have, and hopefully with the prowess in the secondary that Gibbs brings, which will help us in rebuilding that part of the D, there's no reason to believe we won't be successful. Welcome back home, coach Gibbs! War Eagle!

And one more thing: In case yall have forgotten, even though we had Carlos and Junior last year, our secondary as a whole still had a lot of "OH, S*** !" moments. Hopefully we can cut down on those with Gibbs coaching them.

"CTT is only as good as his assistants".

True for offense, not true for defense.

FWIW, now both our OC (Indiana) and DC (Minn) recently hailed from trditionally pathetic big 10 schools...

Our DC and Bama's HC left the NFL for college...hmmm, now which one would be more likely to get hired again by an NFL team?

Good hire, but who cares. CTT has a brilliant defensive mind and Woodie Allen (although not Woodenhoffer) could be our DC and still rock under Tubbs. GREAT situation for Gibbs who gets to fine-tune under a master.

FYI, until yesterday, late yesterday, I was being told it was Davie. I mean strongly told it was Davie. There was evidently problems with Davie's ND severance package. I think we will all be happy with Gibbs.

I also very much appreciate that CTT says that he thinks Gibbs will ELEVATE our D Play. Man, if he makes our D better than Number One in points allowed, the sky is the limit. I do not think we will be there in 2005, there are always some readjustments with a new co-ordinator but Borges broke that mold last year too.

Anxious to see what happens!

Waiting on A-Day...

FYI, until yesterday, late yesterday, I was being told it was Davie. I mean strongly told it was Davie. There was evidently problems with Davie's ND severance package. I think we will all be happy with Gibbs.

I also very much appreciate that CTT says that he thinks Gibbs will ELEVATE our D Play. Man, if he makes our D better than Number One in points allowed, the sky is the limit. I do not think we will be there in 2005, there are always some readjustments with a new co-ordinator but Borges broke that mold last year too.

Anxious to see what happens!

Waiting on A-Day...

143957[/snapback]

Man... sounds like you got punk'd... :lol::lol::poke::lol::lol:

Found this blurb on Gibbs' firing...

Denver, once 7-3, has lost three of its last four and was just blown off the field by the Kansas City Chiefs, an eliminated team. Yet coming into Week 15, the Broncos were the league's No. 1 team in combined offense-defense performance. By this barometer, the lower the number the better, and Denver had the league's lowest number at 9 -- defense fourth, offense fifth. The next lowest numbers were possessed by Jersey/B and Philadelphia, both at 19 -- the Eagles offense seventh, defense 12th, the Jets the mirror image at defense seventh, offense 12th. Yes, these figures are for yards rather than points, and they don't take into account special teams, which are harder to quantify statistically. But still, on paper, Denver looks mighty. On the field, Denver looks snake-bit.

Could this have something to do with Mike Shanahan's bizarre decision to fire defensive backfield coach David Gibbs during the team's bye week? At that point, the Broncs were 6-3; they are 2-3 since the Gibbs firing, having beaten only two cellar-dwellers, Miami and New Orleans. Before Gibbs was fired, Denver's pass defense looked pretty good; since, it has looked awful. (Yes, Denver has injuries -- but this is December, every NFL club has injuries.) There's never been a public explanation for Shanahan's firing of Gibbs, nor has he been accused of having any personal problems nor doing a poor job: most of the rumors say bureaucratic power-grabbing was the issue. But what do you suppose the football gods thought of firing a position coach when his players were doing well and the team winning?

Archived