Greg Brown

auburn4ever

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Probably was not a "wow" hire out there but posting negative comments about the coaching staff seems to be a favorite sport among Auburn fans lately. 

Certain people on Auburn boards! There are several on here that want to dominate EVERY thread with all things negative against Gus and Auburn. I'm not sure that they are really Auburn fans. If so, We have some miserable people in our fan base. I'm as frustrated as most on the last 2 years, but come on man! I truly believe that some would rather see Gus fail than to see Auburn succeed!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus does not know how to bring in wow hires.

For their respected position Steele, Garner, and ever Hand are pretty top notch guys

Solid hire IMO, but same story as last year. Hard to bring big splash WOW hires when you're on the hot seat. He has done little to quiet the speculation with the last 4 games of the season. Had we closed strong with wins vs UGA and OU, splash hire would have been likely.

20 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Does Steele look like a guy that relates to the kids?

Some seem to feel he is better at developing the talent than bringing it in. Nice to know he is going to do what he can to make them better, not just sit around and be no better when they leave than when they got here.

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

Certain people on Auburn boards! There are several on here that want to dominate EVERY thread with all things negative against Gus and Auburn. I'm not sure that they are really Auburn fans. If so, We have some miserable people in our fan base. I'm as frustrated as most on the last 2 years, but come on man! I truly believe that some would rather see Gus fail than to see Auburn succeed!

there are other Auburn sites where there are clear trolls who are not a fan of Auburn but on this board I have yet to see that. I just think 3 straight 5 or more loss seasons makes it pretty clear Gus is not the answer. I do not think we will ever crater like Chizik did in 2012 but more often than not I think a 8-4 season is about what you can expect from Gus. I say all of this predicting we win 10 regular season games next year if Stidham stays healthy. still will not change my opinion on gus until I see him BUILD A SUSTAINABLE program. A season where our down years are not 8-5 and 7-6 and losing to bad georgia teams every year but instead 10-3 or 9-4. We are a football power. 5 loss seasons is never acceptable. Especially 3 in a row.

A journeyman defensive assistant coach. He has worked at a large number of different programs, but at 59 years old, has never been able to move up the coaching ladder. Maybe like RG, he is best suited for position coaching positions.

All I care about is, do our players (1) respect him and play hard for him, and (2) does our secondary improve even more to shut down the Mayfields of the college football world.

Welcome to Auburn, CGB. Now get yer butt to work.

For what it's worth on his recruiting, just one case I found quickly, but in 2012 he recruited Yuri Wright from NJ to Colorado. The kid was the #5 CB in the country and the #63 overall recruit. Had offers from Auburn, ND and uat. So maybe he is not a total bust at recruiting like some think without even looking. WDE.

53 minutes ago, AURex said:

A journeyman defensive assistant coach. He has worked at a large number of different programs, but at 59 years old, has never been able to move up the coaching ladder. Maybe like RG, he is best suited for position coaching positions.

All I care about is, do our players (1) respect him and play hard for him, and (2) does our secondary improve even more to shut down the Mayfields of the college football world.

Welcome to Auburn, CGB. Now get yer butt to work.

I guess being a DC doesn't count as moving up.  :dunno:

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I keep reading that this isn't a "wow" hire. I can understand that.  So, who would have been considered a "wow" hire?

Corey Raymond.

Or Greg Brown, had it been announced a few weeks ago.  Due to the timing I think some folks assume, fairly or otherwise, he was way, way down the list.

WDE!

Can the man have one practice with the team before determining whether he is a splash or not. I swear it seems as if some of you would prefer to win the press conference instead of winning the conference that matters most. One thing for sure he has experience and seems to be a good on the field can coach. 

What I find humorous is the guys that get angry and start correcting everybody who questions a hire are the EXACT people who meltdown during games that insult the players and all of that....it's like Dr.Jekyll/Mr. Hyde 

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

For their respected position Steele, Garner, and ever Hand are pretty top notch guys

He also wrestled Craig away from FSU despite being newly hired after the 2012 disaster, and McGriff while being on the proverbial hot seat.

I don't know if this counts since he immediately left for a much better job, but Rich Bisaccia (currently Asst. HC and ST coordinator for the Cowboys) was part of the original staff. Believe he was supposed to coach special teams and RBs.  When he took the job in Dallas we promoted either Fountain or Horton from an off the field position, I don't remember which.

WDE!

4 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

He also wrestled Craig away from FSU despite being newly hired after the 2012 disaster, and McGriff while being on the proverbial hot seat.

I don't know if this counts since he immediately left for a much better job, but Rich Bisaccia (currently Asst. HC and ST coordinator for the Cowboys) was part of the original staff. Believe he was supposed to coach special teams and RBs.  When he took the job in Dallas we promoted either Fountain or Horton from an off the field position, I don't remember which.

WDE!

got horton from arkansas and promoted fountain to on the field. But yah rich screwed us. he is still the cowboys special teams coach btw. Def did not help him get closer to a head coaching job like he thought.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus does not know how to bring in wow hires.

He definitely should have been able to get Saban as DC instead of Muschamp, that's for sure.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

got horton from arkansas and promoted fountain to on the field. But yah rich screwed us. he is still the cowboys special teams coach btw. Def did not help him get closer to a head coaching job like he thought.

Yeah, that was definitely a gut punch.

I remember reading something about the staff as it was being put together and another SEC coach anonymously said they thought CRB would be one of the better assistants in the league.  I'm pleased with Fountain and Horton (although I do think our RBs and TEs have been a bit subpar), but it would have been nice to have CRB handle those duties and add another position coach.  There probably aren't too may around (and probably for good reason), but a dedicated h-back/fullback/tight end coach might have been useful.  Or maybe a lights out recruiter for the defense, kind of like how dink pairs with Lupoi with actual football coaches.

WDE!

13 hours ago, rtftiger said:

"Gus better get control of his wardrobe. How can you relate to kids with cutoff sweats?"

if you are wearing 4 Super Bowl Rings with those sweats, they relate real quick

Not a huge fan of this hire. But I don't think it is a bad one or anything. Definitely a step down from McGriff and its always disappointing to take a step backwards when I change is made. 

10 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

WDE!

Good call

Archived