2005 Depth Chart

Dlewis23

What does every one think the depth chart will look like next year. I am excited about our defense as well as our receiving corps. Will Prechae Rodriguez and Montez Billings both be playing this fall? I am also excited about seeing Kenny Irons and Tre Smith in the backfield. I have heard alot about Carl Stewart and I have no doubt that he will have an impact as well. Also who will be opposite David Irons(who I expect to start at one corner)Maybe Wilhite or Tony Bell or who. Also, I noticed the other night will playing playstation, that A. Williams is listed as a free safety primarily because he smaller, but can hit and I thought is there any possiblity that something like this would happen with Tray Blackmon? Just wondering. Quaterback is also up for grabs I believe. I think that Cox will start the season, but Booker may finish the season. I really think that Booker will be the QB Next season. Gabe Mckenzie: where will he play? I can't wait to see the team next season. I look forward to another special year.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My depth chart off the top of my head:

QB

Cox

Booker

Field

HB

Stewart

Smith

Irons

Lestor

FB

Slaughter

Mclaughin

TE

Wallace

Trott

McKenzie

Bennett

WR

Talyor

Obomanu

Aromashadu

Mix

Rodreguiz

Billings

Guess

Ramsey

T

McNeill

Reddick

Hart

Duckworth

G

Grubbs

Britt

Daniels

C

Hart

Ross

DE

McClover

Groves

Browder

DT

Jackson

Thompson

Simms

LOLB

Sears

Balkcom

ROLB

Williams

Dede

MLB

Williams

Blackmon

Collier

CB

Pitts

Irons

McFadden

Lee

Powers

Wilhite

FS

Bell

Brock

SS

Herring

Davis

Gandy

probable starters:

.....................................................Stewart..............................................

..............................................................................................................

.....................................................Slaughter...........................................

..............................................................................................................

.........................................................Cox...............................................

Obomanu................................................................................................

....................Wallace...Reddick...Britt...Hart...Grubbs...McNeill..........Taylor.

=================================================

............................Groves.....Thompson....Jackson....McClover....................

Irons..............................................................................................Pitts...

........................Sears......................Williams..................Williams...............

...............................................................................................................

........................................................................Herring............................

.......................................Bell..................................................................

obviously, any depth chart is speculation since we lost the backfield, and we're bringing in a new DC who i assume will have his say in the starting lineup. that said, i can take a stab at who/where based on what i've seen/heard here in auburn.

QB: cox (has a bit of a headstart)/ booker (i think he's 40/60 right now)

TB: kenny irons (looked great in spring, knows the offense now)/ tre smith

RB (ronnieback): carl stewart/ tre

FB: jake slaughter/ mike mclaughlin (i'm excited about this guy for some odd reason)

WR: taylor/ obomanu

WR: aromashodu/ open spot... i'd guess rodriguez or james swinton who looked great last fall

WR (slot): mix/ guess (this could be swinton too)

LT: mcneill/ hart

LG: grubbs/ jonothan palmer

C: big question mark... ross (if healthy)/ ward or harness... i also think leon hart may get moved here in the spring since steven won't be back by then

RG: duckworth/ open spot... best guess would be jarrod britt if he comes back healthy

RT: reddick/ dunlap

TE: wallace/ bennett for blocking... obviously we signed trott and mckenzie for a reason so they could play here early

SDE: mcclover (he's the biggest on the team now)/ gunn

DT (nose guard): tj/ thompson

DT: dickens (another guy i'm excited about for no real reason at all)/ open spot... neil brown or pat sims is going to win this spot though

WDE: groves/ browder/ there could be another guy in the rotation here or at the other end like alonzo horton

SLB: sears/ dede (he's the returning guy, but he may get moved to the other side if will herring slides down to linebacker and does well)

MLB: williams/ open spot... total question mark for me, burnam will be a senior here, will is just as big as travis so he could play here too

WLB: a.t./ open spot... i think this will be dede, montavian collier, or blackmon if he's all he's hyped to be; it's a spot for a playmaker

CB: david irons (if healthy)/ open spot... best guess wilhite or campbell will be the guy here

FS: will herring (unless he's moved to linebacker which is the hot rumor)/ open spot... i think kevin hobbs may be the guy to replace will, he was running second until irons got hurt and he moved back to corner/ brock could be the guy as well

SS: tony bell/ steve gandy (you could flip these two as well)

CB: montae pitts/ open spot... lee was a backup here/ zach gilbert will play a lot, but i don't think he'll play on the outside; i expect him to play as the nickelback almost exclusively if he keeps getting better/ any of the new guys (mcfadden, powers, or savage) could crack this rotation since we have the new DC that coaches the secondary

it's long. sorry. that's just my thoughts

I don't think that there is going to be a "Ronnieback"-I think Borges customized the offense to our strengths and one of them was Ronnie's catching and blocking abilities-it created mismatches everywhere. He will adjust our offense to our strengths this year and I don't think Carl's catching/blocking abilities are anything to base an offense around. I think we will see alot of short passes this year with our WRs.

the reason i think the "position" will stay is b/c the offense is much more dynamic with tre/carl or tre/kenny or kenny/carl on the field than with just one of those guys playing with jake all the time. we could use more three wide sets, but with a new qb, i just don't think that's very likely. so i expect to see carl or tre as the upback a decent amount of the time with kenny or the other guy behind him to keep the running game diverse.

What does every one think the depth chart will look like next year. I am excited about our defense as well as our receiving corps. Will Prechae Rodriguez and Montez Billings both be playing this fall? I am also excited about seeing Kenny Irons and Tre Smith in the backfield. I have heard alot about Carl Stewart and I have no doubt that he will have an impact as well. Also who will be opposite David Irons(who I expect to start at one corner)Maybe Wilhite or Tony Bell or who. Also, I noticed the other night will playing playstation, that A. Williams is listed as a free safety primarily because he smaller, but can hit and I thought is there any possiblity that something like this would happen with Tray Blackmon? Just wondering. Quaterback is also up for grabs I believe. I think that Cox will start the season, but Booker may finish the season. I really think that Booker will be the QB Next season. Gabe Mckenzie: where will he play?  I can't wait to see the team next season. I look forward to another special year.

143899[/snapback]

Wanna play some '05 sometime?

the reason i think the "position" will stay is b/c the offense is much more dynamic with tre/carl or tre/kenny or kenny/carl on the field than with just one of those guys playing with jake all the time. we could use more three wide sets, but with a new qb, i just don't think that's very likely. so i expect to see carl or tre as the upback a decent amount of the time with kenny or the other guy behind him to keep the running game diverse.

143925[/snapback]

I didn't say that we were going to run an "I" all the time-we probably will run a single back most of the time (ace). I expect to see some two back sets but I do not think we will see a "Ronnie" position where a RB is line up at FB one play then at slot then at RB.

I think we might see a lot of 3 WR and 2 TE sets this year to take advantage of our strengths. We might not see a whole lot of 2 back sets next season.

I don't think that there is going to be a "Ronnieback"-I think Borges customized the offense to our strengths and one of them was Ronnie's catching and blocking abilities-it created mismatches everywhere.  He will adjust our offense to our strengths this year and I don't think Carl's catching/blocking abilities are anything to base an offense around.  I think we will see alot of short passes this year with our WRs.

143921[/snapback]

I think that they may very well use mutiple back sets. I want to see Kenny Irons and Carl Stewart on the feild at the same time. Stewart with his 4.4 speed and Irons with the combination of speed and size. Tre smith is also a very versatile and will probabaly see alot of time in the slot postion. When will Leon Hart 6'5 see significant playing time. Marcus McNeil 6'9, Troy Reddick 6'6 and King Dunlap 6'8 along with Andrew McCain 6'6 and Leon Hart in on runnig situations could be a very imposing offensive line. :big:

Add me to the list that thinks Will Herring should be moved to Sam LB. He's got the size, speed & smarts to play there. He needs to be a step faster to play the SS spot.

What does every one think the depth chart will look like next year. I am excited about our defense as well as our receiving corps. Will Prechae Rodriguez and Montez Billings both be playing this fall? I am also excited about seeing Kenny Irons and Tre Smith in the backfield. I have heard alot about Carl Stewart and I have no doubt that he will have an impact as well. Also who will be opposite David Irons(who I expect to start at one corner)Maybe Wilhite or Tony Bell or who. Also, I noticed the other night will playing playstation, that A. Williams is listed as a free safety primarily because he smaller, but can hit and I thought is there any possiblity that something like this would happen with Tray Blackmon? Just wondering. Quaterback is also up for grabs I believe. I think that Cox will start the season, but Booker may finish the season. I really think that Booker will be the QB Next season. Gabe Mckenzie: where will he play?  I can't wait to see the team next season. I look forward to another special year.

143899[/snapback]

143926[/snapback]

Sure, but I get to choose my team first :big::big::big:

you really don't think will could get pt at strongside linebacker? i think dede is playing way to small at the position, and is much more fit for weakside. if he were to get moved, who's the backup? courtney harden? will's gotten a lot of field time, and he's already proved he can play the run. plus he'd have above average coverage skills for a linebacker. moving there and becoming second string there wouldn't surprise me in the least.

143899[/snapback]

143926[/snapback]

143951[/snapback]

I don't care who you are, I'm gonna be Auburn. Even if we both Auburn - then there is no bias of one team being better than the other. You go to AU?

I'll stand by this-so remember! Kenny Irons will be the surprise RB next season! Just wait and see..... WDE :au:

143899[/snapback]

143926[/snapback]

143951[/snapback]

I don't care who you are, I'm gonna be Auburn. Even if we both Auburn - then there is no bias of one team being better than the other. You go to AU?

144028[/snapback]

No, actually I went to the Univeristy of Alabama. I'm from Tuscaloosa, but moved to Auburn and lived there for about four years and then moved back to finish school. I guess us both being :au: would be the only fair way to go.

I'll stand by this-so remember! Kenny Irons will be the surprise RB next season! Just wait and see..... WDE :au:

144125[/snapback]

I think that Kenny Irons should be listed as the #1 back on the depth charts, not only because he is extremely talented and capable of being a feature back, but he has the most experience. Even though Tre has seniorityhe spent his three years here as a back up and in mop up duty; where as Kenny led :usc: in rushing his freshman year. I definitly think K. Irons will be the surprise of the season next year.

From the fact that he almost lost us the game against Va Tech and let Tenn get back in it (both single handedly) I hope that they do something with him other than FS. I think he should be moved to LB as well.

Guest Tigrinum Major
From the fact that he almost lost us the game against Va Tech and let Tenn get back in it (both single handedly) I hope that they do something with him other than FS. I think he should be moved to LB as well.

144129[/snapback]

Woah! No one player won anything last year and no one player almost did anything singlehandedly. There were ten other players on the field on each of the plays you are talking about. Herring has been a good player who might have made some mistakes, but he doesn't deserve this much bashing. If he is not the best we have at that position, I am sure that he won't be starting next year. He is a good hitter. Did he have some blown assignments? Probably, but so did some others. Lay off WH.

the long run by riggs was due to junior and will blowing their assignments. junior and zach gilbert got beat for the first vatech score, and yeah, will gave up the last one all by himself. no ten men, no nothing, he just didn't cover his man.

will is really solid until the play is 50 yards downfield, then his lack of deep speed is exposed-he is a perfect fit for SS and there are rumors that he is moving there next year. We need him in the secondary and not at LB-our LB corps are stout and getting stouter with this class coming in-we would waste a player with 2 years of experience to add depth to a position that we do not need. An experienced safety is very valuable to a defense.

Iron's Aday game was inflated by the second team offensive line demolishing the second team d line. Not saying he won't be good-just that he wasn't touched until he was 15 yards downfield. Stewart is going to be the workhorse IMO with Tre and Irons working in and out for about 30% of the carries-about halfway into the season we will probably see an even distribution between Stewart and whoever does the best b/w Smith, Irons and Lestor.

Watch out for Lestor-I see alot of potential in him

Archived