Alabama Post Game- What you saw

AUGoo

I'd love to see them work on some pick and roll with him. That would create some mismatches for both him and our guards. I saw a little, but the timing was never there.

I have watched very little this year and not all this game. I really like Wiley. That is about all the opinion I have on the team. Spencer looked good at times in other games, maybe LSU. But I think Wiley is the real deal.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd love to see them work on some pick and roll with him. That would create some mismatches for both him and our guards. I saw a little, but the timing was never there.

Timing is definitely what he needs work on offensively. I know the announcer gave DP flack for it but I thought his dump off to wiley on the fast break was a good idea, considering he was still dealing with the ankle. Give those two a few extra months of practicing together and that play is likely a walk in the park. 

While I'd also like to see more pick and rolls with Wiley, I think a more effective post game (a two or three man game with Wiley staying down low) will be the most efficient way to use Wiley. As long as he doesn't get double-teamed when he puts the ball on his floor, it's looking like teams are having a bunch of trouble slowing him down, down low. This will also give us more three point opportunities as defenses will be forced to crash in on Wiley and leave shooters open. Another benefit to keep him around the post is a better chance for putbacks and offensive rebounds which seem to be one of Wiley's strong suits. Not saying that pulling him out for pick and rolls is a bad idea but I feel that until he's more comfortable on the court, he will gain more confidence by playing down low just due to it being that much easier for him to flex.

btw, does anyone know if Wiley has any kind of shot? He seems to have a decent form and release on FT but is only 50%. I would say that judging by the fact he doesn't shoot non dunks/layups very often that he doesn't. But I'm not sure if I've ever seen it mentioned 

1 minute ago, Charhair said:

btw, does anyone know if Wiley has any kind of shot? He seems to have a decent form and release on FT but is only 50%. I would say that judging by the fact he doesn't shoot non dunks/layups very often that he doesn't. But I'm not sure if I've ever seen it mentioned 

He has a nice baby hook. I don't think he's taken anything from outside 3-4' though. No need really. 

2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

He has a nice baby hook. I don't think he's taken anything from outside 3-4' though. No need really. 

It's never a "need" to have your 7 footer taking long distance shots but if Wiley was able to knock down elbow-distance shots, it would give him a lot more on the offensive end. He could headfake and drive, hit little jumpers off of a triangle play, be more effective on picks and rolls (as we could add the pick and pop if he could shoot). 

If he had a good shot, it would also give me more confidence that he can hit FTs consistently and that his terrible % coming into last night was based on too small of a sample and not inability. If he can't shoot and continues to improve as an offensive player, we could see other teams just start implementing "hack-a-Shaq" I watched hack-a-Shaq happen to both Shaq and Dwight Howard during their times in Orlando. it makes dominant and elite big men non factors, offensively.

On 1/22/2017 at 5:34 AM, cole256 said:

And that is what having size can do....Once Wiley established himself as a threat, open looks came in the second half from deep. It's just basketball. If you can't create shots one way, you can do so another way. The better he gets you'll see Brown get better as well. Especially once Harper gets out of his slump, which I also said was coming. Don't worry I'm just going to make one told you so post at the end of the year....But if anybody followed my post from the beginning of the season to now....well I'll save that too.

But when there are a few let down games (which there will be) remember games like this and how the team is growing and stop the sky is falling post after a loss. This is a process, and we're just a piece or two away. 

Like I said had we got Petty in this class with our other guys we'd be ready to make a run but we're almost there. 

As usual a great post with the right amount of positive and enough honest criticism so we don't think this team is better than it is, as you said there will still be some bad games.

Archived