Norm Chow accepts Titans job

Erik81

Titans would give Chow big challenge

Commentary by DAVID CLIMER

Senior Writer

Jeff Fisher's ready to give it the old college try.

Fisher is in hot pursuit of Norm Chow, the prince of pass, the ruler of the run game, the pharaoh of formations. In a week where college recruiting was hot and heavy, Fisher has elevated his game.

Chow is the oddest of coaching animals — a college assistant who long has been coveted by the pros. He's been offered umpteen jobs on NFL staffs, only to remain true to his college roots.

And you can't really blame him, especially now. For the last four seasons, he has been the offensive genius behind Southern Cal's return to glory. He has counseled two Heisman Trophy winners in the last three years. He has a 24-karat touch.

So what gives? How now Norm Chow?

Why would Fisher think he could lure Chow to the Titans to replace Mike Heimerdinger as offensive coordinator? Is Fisher just trying to put a happy face on a dubious offseason or is this serious business?

Don't underestimate Fisher. Since the day Heimerdinger left for the Jets, Chow has been the wild card in this. There are others on Fisher's list, but make no mistake about who is No. 1.

Fisher already scored points with his alma mater by waiting until after National Signing Day to begin open pursuit of Chow. Nothing was done to disrupt the Trojans' talent haul that included such prospects as Goodpasture High wide receiver Patrick Turner.

Oh, sure, opposing coaching staffs, including Tennessee's, kept telling Turner that Chow might be outbound from USC, but they couldn't prove it. All's fair in love and recruiting.

Now the chase is on.

Head coaches often preach the virtues of stability, but sometimes a coaching staff can get a little too stable. It's fine to be on the same page when the game starts but there comes a time when you need a new book. What's wrong with fresh ideas instead of stale strategy?

Consider what Jack Del Rio is doing with the Jaguars. The Jags continued to gain upward momentum in the AFC South this season but Del Rio continues to overhaul his staff. He's made six changes in two seasons. Wonder what he would've done if he had gone 5-11 in '04 instead of 9-7?

You have to wonder if first Heimerdinger then receivers coach Steve Walters got out while the getting was good. Yes, Heimerdinger got a nice bump in pay to go to the Jets, but otherwise it's a lateral move. Maybe Walters just got tired of trying to make fifth-round picks and undrafted free agents into legitimate NFL receivers. It was just time for a change.

All of which brings us back around to Chow. He's been an assistant in the college game for 32 seasons (27 of them at BYU) and, at age 58, sounds like a man who is ready to step out of his comfort zone and take on a new challenge.

And if you want a challenge, you've come to the right place.

The Titans have a quarterback who is contemplating retirement while recovering from surgery on his sternum. Their most proven receiver is a possible salary cap casualty. Their most talented receiver has caught a grand total of 20 NFL passes. Their running back can't stay healthy. Their offensive line is in transition.

Other than that, Coach Chow, everything is just peachy in Titans Town. Come on down.

David Climer is a senior writer and columnist for The Tennessean. Reach him at dclimer@tennessean.com or 259-8020.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTS TOP STORIES:

Kearse a star for Philadelphia

Titans set talks with Chow

McElhiney staying as Rhythm's coach

Arena football is back with a celebrity luster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TODAY'S TOP STORIES:

Washington can't fix TennCare, say state's senators

McElhiney staying as Rhythm's coach

Chamber of Commerce panel gives schools B, C

Retailers put faith in Christian books

Police to survey public on performance

NATIONAL SPORTS NEWS

Thrashers' Heatley sentenced to probation

Reid: Owens may not start in Super Bowl

NHL, union resume talks to save season

Marino, Young head Hall of Fame ballot

Tagliabue eyes starting network for NFL

German boxing legend Max Schmeling dies

Soderling, Ljubicic win at Milan Indoors

Montgomerie, Lonard share Heineken lead

Kostelic wins combined at skiing event

Europe panel may not object to UEFA rule

R.N. Nurse Manager Seeking applicants

Sales

Payroll/Benefit Coordinator

All Top Jobs

[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive

I bet Leinart wishes he had gone pro :)

That was my exact thought when I saw the Topic. I wonder if they will have the let down we had after we lost Petrino. Did we sign Borges to a longer term contract yet???!!!!

so has he actually taken the job? i didn't get that impression from the article. we're going to find out what pete carroll is made of if he loses chow. that would be his dline coach/ast. head coach (orgeron), his offensive coordinator (chow), i believe his qb coach left, and orgeron brought their tightends coach with him. pete carroll, welcome to the downside of success.

I didn't get that it was a done deal either. I hope it is. Can someone verify it's been offered and he accepted?

By the way, great Fox News clip TopShelf. :au:

Still no word if he accepted from that article. Only that he has interviewed and been offered a contract for $1mill a season. Coaches do not play a role in salary cap. They should pay more.

I sometimes wonder if Chow has any aspirations of becoming a head coach. He's turned down so many job offers. Maybe he just doesn't want all the responsability that comes with being a head coach. Who knows.

Eric -

where did you get that JC pic? he's got an orange facemask in that one. is it photoshopped or did we really wear those once this season? if we did, it sure slipped by me.

Eric -

where did you get that JC pic? he's got an orange facemask in that one. is it photoshopped or did we really wear those once this season? if we did, it sure slipped by me.

144455[/snapback]

it is from the Sugar Bowl Dr. Flunkenstein. Were you that wasted whil in NO?

If chow leaves, I have no sympathy for lienart. You just don't pass up a chance to be the #1 pick. It can only go down from there. What if he drops out of the 1st round w/ or w/o chow? How many millions will he have peed away?

I think its a bold move, and I respect him for that. Looks at winning a 3rd consecutive championship more importantly than $.

He will have his degree.

He obviously likes the college atmosphere.

Plus, he's sending a positive message for not leaving early.

Plus, the NCAA and Pete Carrol will love the graduation percentage :big:

Yeah, it was a bold move. I'll still bet you his sack shrivels up like a raisin if chow leaves.

Once again, a guaranteed top three pick and most I heard said #1. There are so many things that could drop him down in the draft. I loved the college atmosphere as much as anyone, maybe too much. However, if someone offerred me a 50 million dollar career (going by eli last year), everyone would be asking, "Where the hell did t88 go?". Bold, stupid, take your pick.

Security. His college life is nearly over anyway, let it go. Go make $50 mil + in the pros then come back and buy the biggest freaking pad on or near campus you can and spend as much time as you want experiencing college life.

50 million will get you a 3br, 1.5 bath out in LA....

is that a single or double wide?

does the leaving of norm chow mean pete caroll will be calling on borges? i seriously doubt it but wouldn't suprise me one bit.

Erik81;

what's the deal w/ JC's orange facemask in your sig?

Archived