Men's Postseason chatter thread (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

The way you phrased your question no. We need more an better rebounding than we have talent wise. As for our other weaknesses we have the talent. They just have to develop themselves as basketball players & not athletes who play basketball. The good thing for us though is there is a  path to finishing in the top 3 of the tournament without being actually 1 of the 3 best teams. If we best Mizzou, Rebs, & Arky we will be in the semis & finish basically tied for 3rd losing then to UF or Vandy.

I Agree that we have the offensive firepower to stay in every game.

But, we simply do not play consistent or long enough D during the game to not make every game a nail biter, no matter how big a lead we sometimes have. And because of that, I dont feel that SEC tournament will be any different that any regular season game we played.

I feel too that our young guys will be hyperventilating in the first SEC game, and unless someone DOES show stability and leadership on the court, I don't feel we can win 2 games in a row. I definitely don't see this team mentally strong as that team that made it to the semi's a couple of years ago.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Tiger said:

IMO they will mail it in.

But @lionheartkc, I'm actually one of the folks who thinks we are capable of finishing in the top 3. Not saying we do it, as it is very unlikely, but if we hit a 72 hour hot streak we certainly could. Even with our porous defense when we are on we can beat anyone. We would just need to survive our offensive droughts which our defense has not been allowing us to do.

I know Bruce didn't want to play in the first round, but I think it could be really good for this team. It gives them a game to get used to the arena and comfortable shooting under game pressure. I think that could help a lot if they are able to get to OM in the second game. 

25 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But, we simply do not play consistent or long enough D during the game to not make every game a nail biter, no matter how big a lead we sometimes have. And because of that, I dont feel that SEC tournament will be any different that any regular season game we played.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with talent which is how the original question was phrased. The defensive deficiencies, other than rebounding, are strictly a lack of desire, fight, & focus. If they maxed in all these areas D would improve instantly and could win 3 games in the SEC Tourney from that.

21 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I know Bruce didn't want to play in the first round, but I think it could be really good for this team. It gives them a game to get used to the arena and comfortable shooting under game pressure. I think that could help a lot if they are able to get to OM in the second game. 

I can see the bright side of it too. Let the young guys find a rhythm in a game against an opponent we are better than. We are going to need them to be in the flow against Ole Miss.

Also...I am so tired of losing to Ole Miss in gut-wrenching fashion this year. It would be poetic for us to beat them in the tourney.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And that has absolutely nothing to do with talent which is how the original question was phrased. The defensive deficiencies, other than rebounding, are strictly a lack of desire, fight, & focus. If they maxed in all these areas D would improve instantly and could win 3 games in the SEC Tourney from that.

I agree E, playing defense has mostly nothing to do with talent. But getting these guys to play hard D needed to have been cultivated and instilled before the season started. And these talented players are much better offensive players than defensive players except for Brown, who is getting better. 

I don't feel any better that we can beat OM and Ark on a neutral floor, when we couldnt even beat them in our own house. I just feel something is missing from this team that needs leadership on the floor in the worst way....

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I just feel something is missing from this team that needs leadership on the floor in the worst way....

Leadership is missing & it should get better in the roster turnover from this year to next.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Leadership is missing & it should get better in the roster turnover from this year to next.

It sounds like the departure of Dunans will be an overall improvement in team chemistry. Hopefully Murray or Heron step up and become the leader of this group.

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It sounds like the departure of Dunans will be an overall improvement in team chemistry. Hopefully Murray or Heron step up and become the leader of this group.

You decoded that way to fast & easily.

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

ANything more to that then what we see on the court? In regards to Dunans

Nothing like the situation between him and Canty last year. I think he just thinks highly of himself and his abilities, wants to demand touches and usage, and isn't particularly fond of the younger guys' roles overshadowing him. Unfortunately, he just isn't a big team guy. From what I've heard and know, he's about the team so long as it benefits him. 

I like Dunans, and I can understand some of his frustrations. But I think he could've handled himself better and been a better example for the young guys on the team.

Here's the most current RPI rankings:  

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

Talking about the NIT, the SEC should get around 4-5 teams into the NIT. Vandy, Tennessee, UGA, and Ole Miss probably have the nod over us right now. A&M might have a small edge over us, but we've got them beat record wise and we have a roughly similar RPI. We have the edge over Bama- overall record is similar (technically better for AU), same RPI (93 and 94) and we have the head to head over them. I also expect at least one of the teams above to get into the NCAAs. Vandy, UGA, Ole Miss, maybe 2. 

UGA plays Tennessee this week in Nashville, and it is the perfect time to cheer for Georgia. Hard. Tennessee could become a quick NIT bubble team if they lose that one, and UGA could all the sudden be in tournament discussion. Especially if UGA can make a run after that game. You also need to cheer for Vanderbilt to play well this week. I think if we get a little help from UGA and Vandy, and we take care of our business against Mizzou, we will be in. We beat Ole Miss after Mizzou, and I think we are in. Period.

15 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Nothing like the situation between him and Canty last year. I think he just thinks highly of himself and his abilities, wants to demand touches and usage, and isn't particularly fond of the younger guys' roles overshadowing him. Unfortunately, he just isn't a big team guy. From what I've heard and know, he's about the team so long as it benefits him. 

I like Dunans, and I can understand some of his frustrations. But I think he could've handled himself better and been a better example for the young guys on the team.

I agree with this. He doesn't seem like the most team first guy but I feel like he isn't exactly a "cancer" in the locker room. Remember, he has a lot of pressure on him. He's trying to get his degree, play pro ball, and raise a son. Not easy. 

Anyone know if the young guys are about the team? The only one I'm concerned about is Purifoy but he's seemed to play more unselfishly and smarter lately

50 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Here's the most current RPI rankings:  

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

Talking about the NIT, the SEC should get around 4-5 teams into the NIT. Vandy, Tennessee, UGA, and Ole Miss probably have the nod over us right now. A&M might have a small edge over us, but we've got them beat record wise and we have a roughly similar RPI. We have the edge over Bama- overall record is similar (technically better for AU), same RPI (93 and 94) and we have the head to head over them. I also expect at least one of the teams above to get into the NCAAs. Vandy, UGA, Ole Miss, maybe 2. 

UGA plays Tennessee this week in Nashville, and it is the perfect time to cheer for Georgia. Hard. Tennessee could become a quick NIT bubble team if they lose that one, and UGA could all the sudden be in tournament discussion. Especially if UGA can make a run after that game. You also need to cheer for Vanderbilt to play well this week. I think if we get a little help from UGA and Vandy, and we take care of our business against Mizzou, we will be in. We beat Ole Miss after Mizzou, and I think we are in. Period.

Saw somewhere that one of the NIT committee members said in a radio interview he anticipates 3-4 SEC schools to get in. So, we need a good 2 wins and some help from some others. 

I have no idea about Dunans off the court attitude, but CBP gave the seniors a start vs Mizzou, and Dunans responded by pulling an early three point attempt. That really raised my eyebrows. He isn't helping himself or the team by taking those shots. I think he could be the factor that determines how we play in the SEC tourney. His ability to contribute in all stat categories is unlike any other player we have.If he would play that game we can make a run, and he will help himself. IF he gets a chance to play anywhere other than a mid-level European league, it will be his defense and utility ability that will get him there, not his shooting prowess. 7-10pts, 5rebs, 3asts, 2stls, and 1blk is what we need from him. 

I can see how Dunans' role has soured on him a bit. Didn't he lead all jucos in scoring before coming to AU? Or was he just the #1 ranked juco player? Sorry if I'm confusing things but I'm sure his version of the plan wasn't going to have him coming off the bench his senior year with so much pressure in his personal life to be successful. Plus feeling the need to overcome coming off the bench probably leads to him pressing or making bad decisions. But he has provided a huge spark and much needed boost for us many times throughout this season and next year I have no idea who is going to be our 3rd ball handler because he ain't on the roster right now. Ideally you'd want Bryce to be able to do that but it's just not his game to handle the rock very much

We don't even deserve the CBI. It's a crap tournament and we'll just crap the bed again. Call it a season and move on. 

Auburn finished the season fittingly - like crap.  They don't deserve to be in any tournament.  Worst effort I have seen in a long time.  They don't communicate, they make stupid fouls and unforced errors, and lose to the worst team in the SEC.

How many times did Auburn give up leads this year with a couple of minutes to go?  This is a highly undisciplined team.

9 minutes ago, jared52 said:

AU pays it's way into the CBI? Sorry, but that is a huge failure for this season.

The staff does not have the pulse of these players at all and are straight up to soft with them. So much loafing on defense. At one point I wish I was there to yell at Jared to stop lolligagging and get his A back on D and show some leadership for once in this season. It was so quiet the entire arena would have heard it and I would not care if I had gotten thrown out.

They Auburn'd us from 2014. With less talent than that team as well. No Harrell or Mason. They hit 16 threes. had all the recipes of a upset but did not look like it was going to happen till the kid flopped on harper.

Just now, ellitor said:

Failure no. Huge disappointment yes. The staff does not have the pulse of these players at all and are straight up to soft with them. So much loafing on defense. At one point I wish I was there to yell at Jared to stop lolligagging and get his A back on D and show some leadership for once in this season. It was so quiet the entire arena would have heard it and I would not care if I had gotten thrown out.

Set a goal, miss a goal, fail. Pretty simple. It's a strong word, and yes I am VERY frustrated with what I saw tonight from AU and the refs, but it's the very definition of a failure of a season. If Duke or UNC miss the NCAA tournament, that's a failure of a season. AU has the talent to make the NIT. They didn't. It is what it is, but it's a failure.

@jared52 Umm. If you look up you will see I took the part out that you soapboxed about before you replied. The reply is pointless.

Archived