top wide receiver

aubiefifty

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

be what guy? If a player is not playing well and has no business being on the field more than they are then yah I am going to get frustrated and want that player to sit in favor of someone else. All I remember is he had a good arkansas state game where he got most of his production. I cannot wait for us to have a real passing game under chip. Gus had lost his way in the passing game and chip is what was much needed a guy who is well versed in the air raid. Combine that with the talent of Stidham and our young wrs and the passing game should be the best it has been in a long time under gus.

Based on your first sentence then there probably should've been a lot of frustration with both T Stevens at times and M Davis? R Davis missed several key blocks and seemed to be the most chewed out of the WR group. I think with all those other issues people are just curious about why you want to pile things on Hastings. I will say I think if used and coached correctly that he could be a good change of pace, situational WR but that is just my opinion. My top 5 WRs for next year are (in no order) KD, NCM, ES, MM, and DS. WH and RD would be my 6-7s and situational WRs. I think we are on the same page as this is the most talented WR group we have had at AU in a very long time and with the addition of Sal at TE I think our Pass O could be great. Just my opinion on the situation.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

this is the most talented WR group we have had at AU in a very long time and with the addition of Sal at TE I think our Pass O could be great. 

KJ's going to get his, too. Exciting. 

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

KJ's going to get his, too. Exciting. 

Yes... in fact, he was one of our most reliable receivers, but I didn't include his stats, since he's running back. He and Pettway both have good hands.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Yes... in fact, he was one of our most reliable receivers, but I didn't include his stats, since he's running back. He and Pettway both have good hands.

ASU's top 2 receiving RBs had 600 yds last season. All of Auburn's RBs together had 350, and half of that was from Chandler Cox, Rudy Ford and Stanton Truitt, who might've been lined up as a WR for some, most or even all of his 100 yds. 

I'm not sure how much of ASU's receiving production from the RB position was a byproduct of less running, but I definitely think it's more of a feature for us this year. 

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I love KJ catching balls out of the backfield. I think that's one area where he is incredibly valuable. 

40 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

WH and RD would be my 6-7s and situational WRs.

Interesting that you separate these two out.  I see Hastings and Davis as our "in the trenches" guys... they seem to excel at the short crossing routes and other passes that tend to happen in traffic.  Incidentally, R. Davis was our #2 most reliable receiver. Hopefully they can fix his blocking issues.

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I love KJ catching balls out of the backfield. I think that's one area where he is incredibly valuable. 

Yes... he caught 74% of his passes last year.  His yards per catch wasn't great, but it's a great weapon to mix things up, and if we can get the secondary loosened up trying to cover our deep threats, his yards per catch should increase.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Interesting that you separate these two out.  I see Hastings and Davis as our "in the trenches" guys... they seem to excel at the short crossing routes and other passes that tend to happen in traffic.  Incidentally, R. Davis was our #2 most reliable receiver. Hopefully they can fix his blocking issues.

I agree with you on Ryan Davis; I thought he had some of the best hands on the team last year, I just hope he figures the blocking out so he can get on the field.

59 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Based on your first sentence then there probably should've been a lot of frustration with both T Stevens at times and M Davis? R Davis missed several key blocks and seemed to be the most chewed out of the WR group. I think with all those other issues people are just curious about why you want to pile things on Hastings. I will say I think if used and coached correctly that he could be a good change of pace, situational WR but that is just my opinion. My top 5 WRs for next year are (in no order) KD, NCM, ES, MM, and DS. WH and RD would be my 6-7s and situational WRs. I think we are on the same page as this is the most talented WR group we have had at AU in a very long time and with the addition of Sal at TE I think our Pass O could be great. Just my opinion on the situation.

absolutely. My frustration with the WR rotations is not just limited to hastings. Marcus Davis is the most frustrating WR for me in recent memory at AU. Had some clutch catches in tough situations his freshmen year but then never got better and it seemed like he just got worse actually each season. Never took that next step like I thought he would. Stevens looked like a hero against the directional schools but always dropped a bunch when it mattered against sec schools. Horrible drops problems.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That just doesn't compute. Like, it literally makes no sense. He caught 3 balls against Clemson and 3 against TAMU while playing for an SEC team with a mediocre pass offense. In fact, if we'd beaten Clemson, the kid would've been instrumental in it. 

Did he yield to the most high profile WR corps to ever wear the O&B as the season went on? Of course. These guys are freaks. We've likely never had a pair like KD and NCM, and it's not out of the question that the next 3 are just as good (and possibly would be WR1 on several current SEC teams or most Auburn teams of the past). Jason Smith, for whatever shortcomings he's had above and/or below the neck at Auburn, was a #1 juco athlete coming in. McClain could be a sleeping giant. Every one of them is a legit SEC WR in the right offense (unless McClain severely underwhelms). Nobody's trying to say that Hastings has the future that the other guys do. 

But does that mean he's the garbage you're making him out to be? Absolutely not. He proved that he can play in the SEC, on an SEC team. It's really weird that you're disputing that. You even went into detail about how he was in a crap passing offense, yet he still managed to put up a stat line.

He's shown that he's athletic by putting up numbers in the same agility drills that all the other guys participated in. He's the same size as Ryan Davis. Maybe he dropped some balls- I don't remember much of that, but the last half of the season is a bad dream that I don't really care to remember and I'll just believe you- but other guys dropped balls, too. 

You're stargazing. That's fine, we all do it. But don't crap on the other kids in the process.  

lol #notmymcloofus this is not the happy go lucky golden boy mcloofus we all know and love!!!! You just went on a rant that sounded and looked like a audition tape to be on MTV the challenge!!! I dig it! That had me cracking up the whole time and was very entertaining.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I separate them out because I think that stove can handle that responsibility down after down as well as the blocking responsibilities (if we're talking a 3 WR set). I just feel like stove has a ton of talent and the most upside as well as the extra size. Stove showed on a couple of occasions that he can turn short passes into some pretty good gains. 

In terms of pure talent I think the 5 i listed are our best 5 imo. Though I think WH and RD could be used effectively, I just don't see them as every down WR's at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

absolutely. My frustration with the WR rotations is not just limited to hastings. Marcus Davis is the most frustrating WR for me in recent memory at AU. Had some clutch catches in tough situations his freshmen year but then never got better and it seemed like he just got worse actually each season. Never took that next step like I thought he would. Stevens looked like a hero against the directional schools but always dropped a bunch when it mattered against sec schools. Horrible drops problems.

I agree with this. I just think it sounded to some as piling things on Hastings when our WR issues were farther branched out than that as you just said.

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree with this. I just think it sounded to some as piling things on Hastings when our WR issues were farther branched out than that as you just said.

hastings I just used as a example of my problem with Gus bad WR rotations. I think all of the RS and true freshmen along with ryan davis were better and more talented than stevens, davis and hastings last year and anytime I saw them on the field instead of our better players it got frustrating. If asked Gus if he even gave a real answer would probaly just say something I like what their doing at practice which probaly equates to them being better blockers but I saw plenty of times over the years davis and stevens whiff on blocks.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol #notmymcloofus this is not the happy go lucky golden boy mcloofus we all know and love!!!! You just went on a rant that sounded and looked like a audition tape to be on MTV the challenge!!! I dig it! That had me cracking up the whole time and was very entertaining.

Cool bro! 

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I separate them out because I think that stove can handle that responsibility down after down as well as the blocking responsibilities (if we're talking a 3 WR set). I just feel like stove has a ton of talent and the most upside as well as the extra size. Stove showed on a couple of occasions that he can turn short passes into some pretty good gains. 

In terms of pure talent I think the 5 i listed are our best 5 imo. Though I think WH and RD could be used effectively, I just don't see them as every down WR's at the moment. 

You are totally right about Stove... he's actually our #1 most reliable receiver, and arguably our most versatile receiver as well.

I disagree on Davis however. I see him as becoming another Darvin Adams, if he can get the blocking down. He just seems to make the tough catches when they are needed. I still think, if we establish the long ball, and a team decides to play prevent against us, R. Davis, Stove, and Hastings would destroy them with the short pass. They all have great hands and they all have the quickness to get open and then get free for yards.

Of course, none of us have seen what Myers or McClaine can really do, so that could change the dynamic entirely, but right now I see K. Davis and NCM (hopefully) as highlight reel receivers, Slayton and Stove as jacks of all trades, and R Davis and Hastings as work horses. No clue what to label McClain at this point.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cool bro! 

I was not being sarcastic at all just so were clear! I genuinely loved it!! WOOOOO!!!!! lets go!

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You are totally right about Stove... he's actually our #1 most reliable receiver, and arguably our most versatile receiver as well.

I disagree on Davis however. I see him as becoming another Darvin Adams, if he can get the blocking down. He just seems to make the tough catches when they are needed. I still think, if we establish the long ball, and a team decides to play prevent against us, R. Davis, Stove, and Hastings would destroy them with the short pass. They all have great hands and they all have the quickness to get open and then get free for yards.

Of course, none of us have seen what Myers or McClaine can really do, so that could change the dynamic entirely, but right now I see K. Davis and NCM (hopefully) as highlight reel receivers, Slayton and Stove as jacks of all trades, and R Davis and Hastings as work horses. No clue what to label McClain at this point.

We may disagree on the RD part for now (he could totally prove me wrong especially with the blocking) but  definitely I agree with your labeling as I do agree that RD and WH could be the work horses when it comes to the short make plays in space passes. Though we are truly in a good position to have, as you called them, 2 talented jack of all trades guys in Stove and Slayton. For some reason when McClain is mentioned I envision possibly a more athletic version of Anthony Mix 

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

For some reason when McClain is mentioned I envision possibly a more athletic version of Anthony Mix 

The first name that came to mind for me when we recruited him. Melvin Ray was kind of in that mold, but- hopefully- McClain will have advantages that Ol' Man Ray did not. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

The first name that came to mind for me when we recruited him. Melvin Ray was kind of in that mold, but- hopefully- McClain will have advantages that Ol' Man Ray did not. 

Melvin Ray was really sure handed then all of sudden his senior year he had arguably the worst case of the drops on the team. That arkansas game....... YIKES. Ole miss as well he was dropping really critical catches.

I think we'll see the coming out party of all these freshmen receivers from last year in 2017. Kyle Davis, Eli Stove, Nate Craig-Myers, and Marquis McClain I bet will all be pretty frequent targets. Ryan Davis will be the experienced guy that we know can catch pretty well. Hope he continues to progress. Incredibly excited about these guys. Would love to have K. Davis and NCM as the 1 and 2 guys. I think those guys are dangerous college receivers waiting to happen.

To me McClain reminds me of Sammie Coates or Terrell Zachary.  To me his body just reminds me of them. I LOVED Anthony Mix. I have a few 8x10s autographed by him. (I also have a program of the Sugar Bowl signed by the entire team after the 04 undefeated season.) Anyway, Mix was MUCH bigger than McClain that I remember. 

And I to me the only hate I have on Hastings is the fact that he never seemed to have any YAC. To me, it seemed he would catch almost everything that was thrown to him (ESPECIALLY early season) but he rarely seemed to extend the catch, at all. I could be wrong. Perhaps the stats won't back that up, but it sure seemed that way to me at least. 

For this season, our passing game is truly unknown. We could go back and watch film of Southern Mississippi or ASU to see CCLs offense. However we truly don't know how much he will allowed to do his thing. I hope Gus has learned he has to let CCL run things. I guess we will see game 1. We won't know anything before that. And Gus better not keep it Vanilla. 

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To me McClain reminds me of Sammie Coates or Terrell Zachary.  To me his body just reminds me of them. I LOVED Anthony Mix. I have a few 8x10s autographed by him. (I also have a program of the Sugar Bowl signed by the entire team after the 04 undefeated season.) Anyway, Mix was MUCH bigger than McClain that I remember. 

And I to me the only hate I have on Hastings is the fact that he never seemed to have any YAC. To me, it seemed he would catch almost everything that was thrown to him (ESPECIALLY early season) but he rarely seemed to extend the catch, at all. I could be wrong. Perhaps the stats won't back that up, but it sure seemed that way to me at least. 

For this season, our passing game is truly unknown. We could go back and watch film of Southern Mississippi or ASU to see CCLs offense. However we truly don't know how much he will allowed to do his thing. I hope Gus has learned he has to let CCL run things. I guess we will see game 1. We won't know anything before that. And Gus better not keep it Vanilla. 

I think if gus truly gets out of the way we will pass a lot more and get a bump of 10% in more passes from 70-30 run pass ratio to more like 60- 40%.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think if gus truly gets out of the way we will pass a lot more and get a bump of 10% in more passes from 70-30 run pass ratio to more like 60- 40%.

If he truly gets out of the way, and lets CCL do his thing, I see more like 50-50 maybe even 40-60. Chip loves his passing. And to RBs. 

I could very well see KJ be our #2 in receptions. CCL likes throwing to backs, and KJ played a LOT of WR in high school (at least in his highlights.) 

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You aren't wrong.  Of course part of that is that he is usually targeted in traffic, so there's really no where to go once the catch is made. Just making the catch is often enough to get the first.

I think Stove is going to be the man when it comes to catching in traffic and the juking a defender to break a long run.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If he truly gets out of the way, and lets CCL do his thing, I see more like 50-50 maybe even 40-60. Chip loves his passing. And to RBs. 

I could very well see KJ be our #2 in receptions. CCL likes throwing to backs, and KJ played a LOT of WR in high school (at least in his highlights.) 

It would be so nice for us to get the most out of all the talent we have at our disposal on offense. I hope chip unlocks all of it. YES YES YES! this!!! KJ was a maestro catching passes out of the backfield! It has been many many moons since we have ran a screen to our RBs effectively. Yet it always seems to work to perfection against us.......

Archived