You know what ticks me off?

Auburn06

5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Seems like a thread on the subject of a specific religion belongs somewhere besides the Political Forum

This thread is obviously political.

38 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

So I asssume we should keep that group of sunnis out of the U.S.? How are we to know who is in that group if we allow Sunnis into the U.S.? And I take strong issue with your comment on Baptists. i grew up Baptist and there is NO comparison as you suggest. between Baptist and ANY kind of Sunni Islamist. but even 99% of Baptist think the Westboro group is Baptist in name only

Southern Baptist?  Their founding principle was the support of slavery.  

12 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Southern Baptist?  Their founding principle was the support of slavery.  

I've got an idea for you ichy. Why don't you come down to Argo 1st Baptist Church in Walker County, AL and sit next to one of the several black people who attend my church regularly, and ask them if they have ever been made to feel unwelcome, or like a slave (at any time) at my church. See for yourself what really goes on in a Southern Baptist Church before you go shooting out ignorant slurs. Your comments are offensive, ignorant, and over the line. Please think before you speak in the future. It doesn't matter what the Southern Baptist Church, or any other church was founded on; it matters what they practice and believe today.

19 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I've got an idea for you ichy. Why don't you come down to Argo 1st Baptist Church in Walker County, AL and sit next to one of the several black people who attend my church regularly, and ask them if they have ever been made to feel unwelcome, or like a slave (at any time) at my church. See for yourself what really goes on in a Southern Baptist Church before you go shooting out ignorant slurs. Your comments are offensive, ignorant, and over the line. Please think before you speak in the future. It doesn't matter what the Southern Baptist Church, or any other church was founded on; it matters what they practice and believe today.

Is it not true?  Of course it is.  There is no reason this should anger you so.  It is a fact, not an indictment.  I have spent more than my fair share of time in Southern Baptist Churches.

Exacty!  But, that was never the point.  The point is, religion can be used for the purposes of furthering evil.  It can, provide the cover for good people to commit horrible acts of inhumanity and, no one is immune.  Therefore, we need to exercise caution in allowing ourselves to demonize a group or, allowing ourselves to become immersed in group-think.

26 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Is it not true?  Of course it is.  There is no reason this should anger you so.  It is a fact, not an indictment.  I have spent more than my fair share of time in Southern Baptist Churches.

Exacty!  But, that was never the point.  The point is, religion can be used for the purposes of furthering evil.  It can, provide the cover for good people to commit horrible acts of inhumanity and, no one is immune.  Therefore, we need to exercise caution in allowing ourselves to demonize a group or, allowing ourselves to become immersed in group-think.

Your post may not have been indicting, but it did seem suggestive. Since I expounded on it and clarified that the Southern Baptist Church does not stand for slavery and discrimination any longer, then I'll let it go at that. Have a blessed day.

5 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Your post may not have been indicting, but it did seem suggestive. Since I expounded on it and clarified that the Southern Baptist Church does not stand for slavery and discrimination any longer, then I'll let it go at that. Have a blessed day.

The defense of your Church is admirable.  However, I would focus more on defending the principles of Christ.  The Church is corruptible when we do not.

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

The defense of your Church is admirable.  However, I would focus more on defending the principles of Christ.  The Church is corruptible when we do not.

I do.

7 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

As I recall, the contemporary leadership made a concerted public effort to publicly repudiate - if not repent - the racial politics of their past.    

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

As I recall, the contemporary leadership made a concerted public effort to publicly repudiate - if not repent - the racial politics of their past.    

True.  I believe the SBC has, or has had, a black President.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Same invitation from  me in Auburn.

Archived