You know what ticks me off?

Auburn06

As a Muslim, it really irritates me when people hijack the religion and do things that are completely at odds with Islamic teachings. It makes me upset when I see people use the words in the Quran to justify their actions. Did you know that killing women, children, and non combatants of war, is forbidden in Islam? Killing anyone with fire is forbidden..Also,killing yourself(I am assuming it means non mental illness)  is forbidden.

I get upset when I see Islamaphobes use words in the Quran to slander Islam,too. The time, place, and event in which a surah(chapter) was revealed has to be learned before you can even grasp what the surah or verse means. Especially when just a part of a verse is used yet the verses before and after are left out. 

It is quite sad, I have always been afraid to say "I am Muslim" on the internet, much less in person.

Not saying it is closely related, but many people pick and choose what words they quote or follow in their own religion. And many more that pick and choose when trying to cricize a religion.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Not saying it is closely related, but many people pick and choose what words they quote or follow in their own religion. And many more that pick and choose when trying to cricize a religion.

Religion is ripe for those who wish to use it for their own political purposes.  Those who are more invested in doctrine than true spirituality are too willing to serve as the useful idiots.  IMMHO, the love in our hearts is much more important than the words in our heads.  The words are easily twisted and, once the words are corrupted, the love can become corrupted.

Separating Church and state preserves the integrity of both the Church and the state.

12 hours ago, Auburn06 said:

As a Muslim, it really irritates me when people hijack the religion and do things that are completely at odds with Islamic teachings. It makes me upset when I see people use the words in the Quran to justify their actions. Did you know that killing women, children, and non combatants of war, is forbidden in Islam? Killing anyone with fire is forbidden..Also,killing yourself(I am assuming it means non mental illness)  is forbidden.

I get upset when I see Islamaphobes use words in the Quran to slander Islam,too. The time, place, and event in which a surah(chapter) was revealed has to be learned before you can even grasp what the surah or verse means. Especially when just a part of a verse is used yet the verses before and after are left out. 

It is quite sad, I have always been afraid to say "I am Muslim" on the internet, much less in person.

I believe it was Fareed Zakaria who did a piece on how America isn't really educated on the teachings of the Muslim faith and that lack of understanding creates a fear which in turn breeds a distrust. When a radical Christian group rises up, Westboro Baptist Church for example, America understands their beliefs don't encompass the majority of Christians because Christian beliefs are well known in America. Christianity is a religion that has existed here since the founding fathers so because it is a faith that is known, it isn't feared. I applaud your courage admitting your faith in a time when that cannot be an easy thing to do. I can only imagine the unease that comes from having something as personally valuable as your faith being hated simply because it isn't understood. 

This could be the most significant thread ever started in this forum.  The implications as to who we are individually, collectively, politically, religiously, spiritually, GENUINELY are profound.  The implications in regard to the nature of power are profound.

This speaks to the motives of those who proclaim their ideology as perfect, their religion as superior, and desire the domination of both.

The God of Abraham is the God of love.  Too many use Him, His love for the purposes of hate and evil.  Politics and sadly, the church seem too often to be the conduit, with power/control the underlying intention.

Can we be too religious, too political, too zealous?  Does God tell us to build an unstoppable military, powerful institutions, great personal wealth?  Are our motivations based on our love of God and our fellow man or, our own selfish desires?  Do we look to God for guidance or, attempt to utilize him to further our own belief systems?  Are we humble and loving in our faith (what the word faith implies) or, arrogant and judgmental in our dogmatic knowing?  Which is more important, reflecting the love of God or, proclaiming the word of God?  Which is more subject to corruption?  Which is more common, "popular"?

Why are so many around the world, who claim to be Muslim, committing violence in Islam's name ? 

2 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Why are so many around the world, who claim to be Muslim, committing violence in Islam's name ? 

Human nature often corrupts religion?

Human nature is what made religion in the first place, so...

I guess my question is with regards to Islam specifically. Why are we seeing so many expressions of that religion with the violence, and not all the other religions? 

Most religions have been plagued with the problem of extremism at some point in their history.

Islam is particularly susceptible due to the social and geopolitical issues plaguing the region where it originated and predominates.

24 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

And Stockholm? San Bernadino? Orlando? Boston? 

Extremism is often contagious.

For example, Nazis occur even here in the good ole US of A.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Extremism is often contagious.

For example, Nazis occur even here in the good ole US of A.

Last mass killing  by nazis? And do you even know what nazis preach? It's not a club for everyone, like Christianity 

7 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

This could be the most significant thread ever started in this forum.  The implications as to who we are individually, collectively, politically, religiously, spiritually, GENUINELY are profound.  The implications in regard to the nature of power are profound.

This speaks to the motives of those who proclaim their ideology as perfect, their religion as superior, and desire the domination of both.

The God of Abraham is the God of love.  Too many use Him, His love for the purposes of hate and evil.  Politics and sadly, the church seem too often to be the conduit, with power/control the underlying intention.

Can we be too religious, too political, too zealous?  Does God tell us to build an unstoppable military, powerful institutions, great personal wealth?  Are our motivations based on our love of God and our fellow man or, our own selfish desires?  Do we look to God for guidance or, attempt to utilize him to further our own belief systems?  Are we humble and loving in our faith (what the word faith implies) or, arrogant and judgmental in our dogmatic knowing?  Which is more important, reflecting the love of God or, proclaiming the word of God?  Which is more subject to corruption?  Which is more common, "popular"?

In Islam, God created humans for one purpose, to worship and obey him...the only salvation in Islam is forgiveness from God, because God is the most forgiving, most merciful.

I think this pdf booklet explains a lot, http://mccmd.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/islam-is.pdf

There are a few good American Muslim speakers too, that while their lectures are towards Muslims, help a lot to explain things people may not understand about Islam.

10 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Are you Sunni or Shite. Do you want Sharia law for America?

Sunni, and you cannot "want" or try to change the laws of another land. Muslims lived(migrated to) in Abyssinia and were commanded by the prophet to follow their laws(as long as they did not conflict with Islamic teachings) and not cause problems... 

https://www.thoughtco.com/zaydi-shia-in-yemen-2004192

17 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Last mass killing  by nazis? And do you even know what nazis preach? It's not a club for everyone, like Christianity 

You asked a question and I tried to answer it.  Stop trolling.

59 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You asked a question and I tried to answer it.  Stop trolling.

No trolling on my part.

Your "example" was ... pretty weak. Islam, a religion, is currently ( and has been, for a long time ) like no other religion on the planet. 

ETA - 

Dozens Killed As 2 Attacks Target Coptic Christians In Egypt

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Seems like a thread on the subject of a specific religion belongs somewhere besides the Political Forum

It's fine here for now.

7 hours ago, Auburn06 said:

Sunni, and you cannot "want" or try to change the laws of another land. Muslims lived(migrated to) in Abyssinia and were commanded by the prophet to follow their laws(as long as they did not conflict with Islamic teachings) and not cause problems... 

https://www.thoughtco.com/zaydi-shia-in-yemen-2004192

Aren't most if not all AlQaeda/ISIS types Sunni? and if the Sunnis' are to obey the laws of the land, why do Sunnis have large areaa in France where they practice Sharia law.?

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Aren't most if not all AlQaeda/ISIS types Sunni? and if the Sunnis' are to obey the laws of the land, why do Sunnis have large areaa in France where they practice Sharia law.?

"Al-Qaeda/ISIS types" are better described as Salafi, or ultra-conservatives, within Sunni Islam.  A comparison that might make more sense is think of Salafi as Westboro Baptist, and Sunni Islam as the Baptist denomination itself.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

"Al-Qaeda/ISIS types" are better described as Salafi, or ultra-conservatives, within Sunni Islam.  A comparison that might make more sense is think of Salafi as Westboro Baptist, and Sunni Islam as the Baptist denomination itself.

So I asssume we should keep that group of sunnis out of the U.S.? How are we to know who is in that group if we allow Sunnis into the U.S.? And I take strong issue with your comment on Baptists. i grew up Baptist and there is NO comparison as you suggest. between Baptist and ANY kind of Sunni Islamist. but even 99% of Baptist think the Westboro group is Baptist in name only

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

So I asssume we should keep that group of sunnis out of the U.S.? How are we to know who is in that group if we allow Sunnis into the U.S.? And I take strong issue with your comment on Baptists. i grew up Baptist and there is NO comparison as you suggest. between Baptist and ANY kind of Sunni Islamist. but even 99% of Baptist think the Westboro group is Baptist in name only

How could read what I posted and consider that to be a rational response?  I said:  "A comparison that might make more sense is think of Salafi as Westboro Baptist, and Sunni Islam as the Baptist denomination itself."  The point that you apparently took offense over was the point I was trying to make.  99% of Baptist think Westboro is Baptist in name only.  99% of Sunni Muslims think Al-Qaeda/ISIS are Sunni in name only.  Think of Al-Qaeda/ISIS as Westboro Baptist, and Sunni Islam as the Baptist denomination itself.

There really is no more polite way that I can explain the fact that you did not read and comprehend my post before responding.  In the future, please read and contemplate more, then post.  I do not want to place you on the list of people I will not talk to.

I did read it. Maybe I didn't take it the way you intended. All I had to go on was what read. That is the danger of trying to discuss religion  with short posts. That being the case , you are obviously free not to talk to me anymore. I have several posters here on ignore and it does make this Forum more enjoyable to me.. It''s probably best if I just don't say anymore.

Archived