Rudi gets a franchise tag

bigsixfive

link

(Id copy it but it wont let me for some reason)

Sounds like the Bengals are only using him until something better comes along. Well, I think he's been nothing short of great up there considering the team around him.

Agree, major problem with that team is that haven't had a front office that cared and like the rest of the bottome feeders, drafting has been hit and a whole lotta miss.

I am forcing myself to become a Bengals fan, because I'm an hour away from Cincy now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a defense Cincinnatti!!

I'd Love to see Cincy win it all..........I love the Hell outta their uniforms. Tiger Stripes? You can't beat that.........Yea they need a couple, okay alot, of Ballers on the defensive side..........maybe they'll trade up and pick up Derrick Johnson LB Texas...........or they could be going after a CB........maybe pick up Carlos??

Someone correct me if I misunderstood this. I thought I heard them say on ESPN that by placing the franchise tag on him they are obligated to pay him 6.3 million next year. He is talking about sitting out the season in protest. I thought 6.3 million was pretty high up on the pay scale for the NFL. Why would he sit out?

If you read the article, it explains it pretty well.

The Franchise tag basically allows them to string him along a little longer. They get a longer amount of time to delay their contract signing. Cincinnatti is SO afraid of success that they don't want to lock up a good athlete on offense. Instead their a$$et$ are going towards locking down a decent defense for next year. Therefore, Rudi gets the shaft and only gets a one year deal. NFL running backs are not known for longevity and long contracts are GOLDEN.

here's what i don't get about complaining for a longer contract in the nfl: NO CONTRACTS ARE GUARANTEED! if you get hurt, you're going to get cut anyway. the team will take a cap hit, but you're still not going to see the money. that's why they say that only the first 3 years of a contract in the nfl are even relevant. the only real monetary reason i can see rudi protesting is that you can't get a signing bonus if you get franchised. either way, it'd be a HUGE mistake to sit out the year. that team is going to be really good this year (chad johnson is the third best receiver in the league)

Archived