Noam Chomsky: Antifa is a 'major gift to the right'

DKW 86

Noam Chomsky: Antifa is a 'major gift to the right'

"As for Antifa, it's a minuscule fringe of the Left, just as its predecessors were," the linguist and political philosopher told the Washington Examiner.  "It's a major gift to the right, including the militant right, who are exuberant."

"What they do is often wrong in principle – like blocking talks – and [the movement] is generally self-destructive,” the 88-year-old told the conservative paper.

He added: "When confrontation shifts to the arena of violence, it's the toughest and most brutal who win – and we know who that is. That's quite apart from the opportunity costs – the loss of the opportunity for education, organising, and serious and constructive activism."

He is right it is a gift to the right. The real gift is how tepid to non-existent is the response from the political leaders and journalists on the left condemning these actions. You have nut cases on both sides. When Trump did not come out quickly enough and hard enough against the White supremacists he was rightly castigated. However Pelosi, Schumer, the main stream media at CNN, MSNBC, etc. have basically ignored or excused groups like AntiFa.  

When you don't have the same standards for condemnation of violent acts then you have decided that politics is more important than people and basic concepts like right and wrong.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He is right it is a gift to the right. The real gift is how tepid to non-existent is the response from the political leaders and journalists on the left condemning these actions. You have nut cases on both sides. When Trump did not come out quickly enough and hard enough against the White supremacists he was rightly castigated. However Pelosi, Schumer, the main stream media at CNN, MSNBC, etc. have basically ignored or excused groups like AntiFa.  

When you don't have the same standards for condemnation of violent acts then you have decided that politics is more important than people and basic concepts like right and wrong.

That's a distorted perspective and a premature conclusion.  

The "left" has not embraced counter-violence by anyone.  It's not reasonable to assume antifa would immediately receive equal condemnation to Nazis.  Most people don't even know who and what antifa is, whereas, Nazis, KKK and white supremacists are very familiar.  And after all, any group that opposes the latter is going to receive the benefit of doubt until they have clearly proven they are an equivalent evil.  That's only natural.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/28/media-criticism-wapo-gives-stunningly-accurate-account-of-antifa-attacks-on-peaceful-protestors/

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/unmasking-antifa-anti-fascists-hard-left/index.html

http://www.occupy.com/article/letter-american-left-antifa-not-your-friend#sthash.tUTnfJvW.dpbs

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's a distorted perspective and a premature conclusion.  

The "left" has not embraced counter-violence by anyone.  It's not reasonable to assume antifa would immediately receive equal condemnation to Nazis.  Most people don't even know who and what antifa is, whereas, Nazis, KKK and white supremacists are very familiar.  And after all, any group that opposes the latter is going to receive the benefit of doubt until they have clearly proven they are an equivalent evil.  That's only natural.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/28/media-criticism-wapo-gives-stunningly-accurate-account-of-antifa-attacks-on-peaceful-protestors/

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/unmasking-antifa-anti-fascists-hard-left/index.html

http://www.occupy.com/article/letter-american-left-antifa-not-your-friend#sthash.tUTnfJvW.dpbs

Your argument is weak. You react to what they did and you condemn what they did. Unless in your world it is ok to attack people physically because they disagree with you. By not condemning the violence when it occurs you are basically condoning it. By the way one article after all the different atacks by this group does not exactly show a lot of effort in painting the group to fit what they do. Any conservative group and I don't mean Nazi types and it would have been headline fodder for a week..

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I'd never heard of them until a few months ago. Bunch of annoying losers, imo.

That is the whole point. They have been basically ignored by mainstream media. All hate groups are losers but an honest press would condemn either side that used violence to stifle free speech. To often our current media only condemns one side and that comment goes for media on both the left and the right.

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Your argument is weak. You react to what they did and you condemn what they did. Unless in your world it is ok to attack people physically because they disagree with you. By not condemning the violence when it occurs you are basically condoning it. By the way one article after all the different atacks by this group does not exactly show a lot of effort in painting the group to fit what they do. Any conservative group and I don't mean Nazi types and it would have been headline fodder for a week..

That doesn't make any sense as a response to my post.  You are inferring things I neither said nor implied.

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That is the whole point. They have been basically ignored by mainstream media. All hate groups are losers but an honest press would condemn either side that used violence to stifle free speech. To often our current media only condemns one side and that comment goes for media on both the left and the right.

How long have they been around? I don't think they've been ignored, they just haven't been prominent until recently and they appear in response to someone else. They don't announce rallies and promote themselves much, do they?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/14/us/what-is-antifa-trnd/index.html

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Absolutely! Any hate group should be condemned, but the MSM only condemns the alt-right. They ignore BLM, Antifi and SPLC.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Absolutely! Any hate group should be condemned, but the MSM only condemns the alt-right. They ignore BLM, Antifi and SPLC.

True!! Nothing new though. They didn't condemn the Black Panthers, BM, etc. They even pooh poohed the BLM chanting "kill cops.".The MSM might more accurately be called The Spin Doctors.

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

How long have they been around?

For a while. In America, since Trump's Inauguration Day...which is puzzling because they claim they are running an apolitical movement and have tried( on paper) in distancing their group from the left and the right.

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I'd never heard of them until a few months ago. Bunch of annoying losers, imo.

same here. i did meet a couple of kkk members back in the early 80's while working on a construction site college days. they had proof, key chains kkk. (ha ha)

have not met any since. funny how less than 1% to 2% of the population can stir everyone

19 hours ago, PUB78 said:

BLM and SPLC should not be grouped with ANTIFA. While BLM has had bad moments like the ones in NY chanting what do we want Dead Cops that is not representative of the whole group. neither BLM or SPLC put forth violence as part of their core beliefs even though like all groups they have nut case members. ANTIFA at its core is against free speech of anybody they disagree with and preach violence.

I don't usually agree with BLM or SPLC but calling them a hate group is counter productive as you can't debate with hate groups.  My problem is more with MSM when they give no to minimal coverage when one of these groups or some of its members do step over the line. If they treated these groups the same way they treat a conservative group that steps over the line my opinion of MSM would change dramatically.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

BLM and SPLC should not be grouped with ANTIFA. While BLM has had bad moments like the ones in NY chanting what do we want Dead Cops that is not representative of the whole group. neither BLM or SPLC put forth violence as part of their core beliefs even though like all groups they have nut case members. ANTIFA at its core is against free speech of anybody they disagree with and preach violence.

I don't usually agree with BLM or SPLC but calling them a hate group is counter productive as you can't debate with hate groups.  My problem is more with MSM when they give no to minimal coverage when one of these groups or some of its members do step over the line. If they treated these groups the same way they treat a conservative group that steps over the line my opinion of MSM would change dramatically.

BLM may not be as violent as Antifi, but they, along with SPLC, are still in the category of hate groups.

43 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Absurd.

Every now and then I find myself feeling like I have been transported from here into the comments section on InfoWars.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Every now and then I find myself feeling like I have been transported from here into the comments section on InfoWars.

It's truly embarrassing. 

6 hours ago, AUHighPlainsDrifter said:

Antifa is a gift to the left as well. They do the left's bidding for them by shutting down those they (the left) oppose, which is anyone from the right. 

:-\        Lame.

Archived