A program DEFINING win

Dual-Threat Rigby

Listen y’all, I’m on the streets here, the core of everything, the program. VERY few people expected to win. VERY few. We were 7-2, top 10, and we wanted our coach gone (all justified). This fan base didn’t fully think we could win dominating another team because it was only 16-7 (again reasonable). A game like this literally flips everything you thought was real. Auburn can re-legitimize themselves with a game like this. This is prime Miami levels of swag and passion I saw tonight

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Listen y’all, I’m on the streets here, the core of everything, the program. VERY few people expected to win. VERY few. We were 7-2, top 10, and we wanted our coach gone (all justified). This fan base didn’t fully think we could win dominating another team because it was only 16-7 (again reasonable). A game like this literally flips everything you thought was real. Auburn can re-legitimize themselves with a game like this. This is prime Miami levels of swag and passion I saw tonight

I was thinking of the ole Jimmy Johnson, Miami Hurricane swag myself! Win or lose to the turds; no way this AU team will be intimated by anyone!

I'll be the first to admit that this game was monumental for the program, and to be honest , for Gus as well. He may very well have finally figured out to trust his staff to do their jobs. I hope to see it continue, regardless of what happens with the Auburn/Gus relationship. The players deserve this, they have all the tools to compete like this on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

I'll be the first to admit that this game was monumental for the program, and to be honest , for Gus as well. He may very well have finally figured out to trust his staff to do their jobs. I hope to see it continue, regardless of what happens with the Auburn/Gus relationship. The players deserve this, they have all the tools to compete like this on a regular basis. 

Exactly, that's why I was most frustrated..idk about the rest of yall. I didn't want our talent to go to waste. This team can do big things as shown tonight.

This was the thrashing of a quality team that has (?had) national recognition and historical relevance that we haven’t had in a long time; reminded me of 2004 UGA beat down. Great to see Gus appearing to grow as an HC. I’m not sold yet but getting closer- maybe the LSU debacle was the slap in the face he needed. Great win today, thrilled to see the players get that big win that they deserved. WDE!

I can’t spend what it would cost to get Iron Bowl tix but I’m seriously considering going to Auburn just to be in that atmosphere.  It will be amazing. Wonder if they will show it in the arena again?

Just now, OnthePlains said:

I can’t spend what it would cost to get Iron Bowl tix but I’m seriously considering going to Auburn just to be in that atmosphere.  It will be amazing. Wonder if they will show it in the arena again?

Post quickly if you find out!   I was there on "One Second Day".  I will NEVER, I mean ever visit the necessary room with one minute left to go.  EVER.  

P.S.  I honestly think they will open up the Arena.  Same stakes in play this year as then.

14 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Post quickly if you find out!   I was there on "One Second Day".  I will NEVER, I mean ever visit the necessary room with one minute left to go.  EVER.  

P.S.  I honestly think they will open up the Arena.  Same stakes in play this year as then.

I hope so. Even if they don’t I wanna be there. I feel confident...damn how things can change. 

I hate to pee in your corn flakes, but that was not program defining.  It was a dominant offensive and defensive performance against a quality SEC opponent.  While Georgia had been voted #1 in the CFP standings, they are far from the best team in the country.  Our kickoff and punt coverage absolutely suck out loud and our intermediate passing game still leaves much to be desired.  Defense as it played today is capable of stopping anybody.  This just simply offsets what were nearly two season defining losses. That last one will always be the one that defines the season.  For the first time all year I seriously think we will win it.

14 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

All this is so wierd. It is a defining game. But at the same time: it reminds us why we were pissed. This is who our team is. I'll take it. War Eagle.

I saw someone call us the most schizo program in CFB a couple days ago (not on here), and its a pretty good way to describe us. We could come out next week and only beat ULM by 11

27 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I'm not going to any potential playoff games (5 year anniversary vacation with wife) or the SECG this year, so I'm spending whatever is necessary to get in on gameday.  Especially since I'm flying in for it.  There's just no way I'm missing this game.

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

I hate to pee in your corn flakes, but that was not program defining.  It was a dominant offensive and defensive performance against a quality SEC opponent.  While they were voted #1 in the CFP standings, they are far from the best team in the country.  Our kickoff and punt coverage absolutely suck out loud and our intermediate passing game still leaves much to be desired.  Defense as it played today is capable of stopping anybody.  This just simply offsets what were nearly two season defining losses. That last one will always be the one that defines the season.  For the first time all year I seriously think we will win it.

Georgia might not've been the best but they had as much of an argument as just about anybody aside from like Oklahoma and Miami 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not going to any potential playoff games (5 year anniversary vacation with wife) or the SECG this year, so I'm spending whatever is necessary to get in on gameday.  Especially since I'm flying in for it.  There's just no way I'm missing this game.

Man if I didn’t have three kiddos to buy Christmas for and bills from a recent surgery I would be right there with ya! I’ll settle for being at Toomers afterward.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And congrats on the anniversary! 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Man if I didn’t have three kiddos to buy Christmas for and bills from a recent surgery I would be right there with ya! I’ll settle for being at Toomers afterward.

That's the advantage I have in this scenario: no kids.  Hope you've recovered well from surgery!

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Georgia might not've been the best but they had as much of an argument as just about anybody aside from like Oklahoma and Miami 

This season has been hard to figure.  OU loses to OSU and then starts rolling like a freight train and they can score a ton of points.  Miami wins a couple of close, ugly ones and then looks convincing against VT and the Irish.  Up until last week I'd have said nobody was close to you know who.  After losing the two linebackers they look very beatable.  I still can't believe we will be #6 (which I agree with you we will be) come Tuesday night.  Looking forward to being the first two loss national champion since LSU in '07.

41 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I hate to pee in your corn flakes, but that was not program defining.  It was a dominant offensive and defensive performance against a quality SEC opponent.  While Georgia had been voted #1 in the CFP standings, they are far from the best team in the country.  Our kickoff and punt coverage absolutely suck out loud and our intermediate passing game still leaves much to be desired.  Defense as it played today is capable of stopping anybody.  This just simply offsets what were nearly two season defining losses. That last one will always be the one that defines the season.  For the first time all year I seriously think we will win it.

POD,  I understand your points, and totally agree with your points on our kick/punt coverage and our intermediate passing game.

But, the poster was talking about program defining moment and not a season defining moment.

We all know that losing is possible to Alabama, as they are the standard, and they continue to find ways to place them selves into the playoff picture every year.  We will be very disappointed as any Alabama loss could be. But we have to now be up for 2 #1 in our last 2 big ballgames. It will be hard to play at the highest level like we did tonight 2 SEC games in a row. 

But the win today can be a program defining program for what we have been the last 3 years, and with Gus's issue with his offense that we have critiqued en-nauseum.  It may, if continues, to show what we can produce with an offense that with a strong solid D, can put up 40 points in SEC games, even critical top 10 matchups. Gus is 7-3 in those matchups. Its getting him there and keeping it in November that has been the problem.

What I saw tonight on offense was what we have been hoping for:

1. I don't remember one pass play that had a chance to be intercepted. JS, when time, delivered so many accurate balls.

2. The offense play calling was so well planned out. I think it got better during the game. I saw plays that I have not seen all season, and most importantly, they called them at key moments in the game. That is calling a game. If this was all CL, then Gus has taken off the reins, and we can only get better.

3. I think the Offensive coaches made great adjustments, especially early in the game. JS was struggling to throw longer developing plays early, as our line was having trouble holding out pressure. But they made adjustments, and later and for the rest of the game, JS had very good pocket protection, and completed a lot of down field passes. 

4.  Sure, we can find called plays that we didn't like, didn't work. But I watch NFL games, and I scratch my head every sunday when I see some play calling, even with some of the best teams.

Biggest win for CGM! Totally dominated. There were no miracle in Jordan-hare, no kick 6, just totally whipped the pups.

Just now, tbone4jc said:

Biggest win for CGM! Totally dominated. There were no miracle in Jordan-hare, no kick 6, just totally whipped the pups.

Yes! Tired of this miracle crap...just beat the snot out of them fair and square.

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It will be hard to play at the highest level like we did tonight 2 SEC games in a row. 

It shouldn't be.  If you asked every single player on the roster I'm betting every single one would say this is why they came here.  It isn't the play that has been hard to overcome.  It's that friggin' Malzahn Boogie Man that terrifies him into going hyper conservative on offense at the most inopportune times.  It would appear that he is beginning to overcome those demons and I am beginning to warm up to the idea that he may be able to coach his way into sticking around.  That said, WHERE IN THE HELL WAS KAM MARTIN TONIGHT?

Archived