A program DEFINING win

Dual-Threat Rigby

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

LOL on DawgSports (SBNation's UG blog), they're calling us classless for playing/dancing to Soulja Boy.

Irony is dope yo. :lol:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

They don't understand that

3 hours ago, auskip07 said:

it was something to see.   I enjoyed watching the team have fun on the field. 

THIS.  Our boys were having fun tonight.  For those that said Gus had lost the team....the response should be the game tonight, he hasnt lost the team, he steered them in the right direction.

Gus said the loss to LSU "wasnt the end of the world" and he seems to have done everything to right the ship, including having the players on focus that they control their own destiny for the SECC.

Im hoping Gus learned alot from that LSU loss, and there is a "new Gus", one that is relentless, and ruthless.  

#FlyDownTheField

When our game got to 30-10 in the 4th qtr, all I could think about is this going to be deja vu like the GA game in 2013 or the LSU game this year? But what happened gives me hope in the big games in the future.

1. Our offense called plays that gave us a chance to continue to SCORE. I mean score, not run clock, and rely on the D to win it.

2. They continued to be aggressive offensively and defensively.

3. We took advantage of turnovers with not just FGs, but TDs. 

4. We started at the 4 yd line, drove it 70 yds and kept the ball for 7 minutes. We settled for a FG, but if not for a fumbled snap on 3rd and 2, I think we score a TD. but a FG did put us up more than 3 scores, and game was over.

5 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

They don't understand that

My memory wasn't long enough to understand the connection, so I Googled the "Soulja Boy" Auburn/Georgia history.  Linking what I found AND completely thrilled that none of us had to watch VERNE dancing in the CBS booth tonight.  That would have been the nastiest icing on an already bad cake.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburn-throws-soulja-boy-shade-georgia-decade-long-memory/

@the earlier poster, I wondered myself where Kam was at. He ran decoy a couple times, most notably for KJ’s first long run, but it seems they prefer DB for those RPOs. Maybe they believe he’s more durable? I certainly believe Kam is more eclectic with his moveset and more electric when in one on one situations. Maybe they’re saving him for UA or maybe he’s really in the dog house like I suspected a couple weeks back (although I guess they wouldn’t have ran him at all in that case) 

also hope we see some Malik in those 3rd quarter gaps where they’re trying to actively get KJ rest. I know just the threat of him on the field opened a screen for R Davis but if KJ can get just 2 minutes of air and Gatorade in him, it would mean the world to me

For the last couple weeks I have been one of the louder anti-Gus posters. And I have to give the man props here. This was maybe the best game of the entire Gus era. 2014 LSU type domination except vs the #1 team in the nation and we're peaking at the right time. It looks like he's learning from his mistakes regarding his ultra conservative nature and hopefully he continues to allow CCL to call the plays (this was the case this game, right?). I say hopefully because while I love, love, loved the team and the staff's performance on Saturday one staple of Gus' tenure has been inconsistency. But this was about as good as it gets in showing the critical fans the type of trajectory we can be on, I hope he has found that he can be a good HC if he just allows it to happen.

I do agree this is program defining, because it was becoming a distant memory those big games we had won in 2013. Auburn under Gus was looking like a program that didn't win big games anymore -- and I'm sure our rivals were very vocal about that on the recruiting trail. But this game was wonderful, Gus and the staff did an amazing job. The defense is just freaking nasty, and we stayed aggressive!!

Stop with the hyperbole. This was most certainly not a "program defining" win.

It was a dominating performance over a hated rival who's had our number for awhile but, it is NOT a program defining win.

1 minute ago, selias said:

Stop with the hyperbole. This was most certainly not a "program defining" win.

It was a dominating performance over a hated rival who's had our number for awhile but, it is NOT a program defining win.

If this win propels us to beat a #1 Bama and into the playoff picture - then yes, it IS a program defining win. Anytime you beat a #1 team the implications can be HUGE for the program going forward. It wasn't the prettiest win, there were still glaring deficiencies, but we dominated a team many thought had a legit shot to stay #1 and win a National Championship.

10 minutes ago, Linayus said:

If this win propels us to beat a #1 Bama and into the playoff picture - then yes, it IS a program defining win. Anytime you beat a #1 team the implications can be HUGE for the program going forward. It wasn't the prettiest win, there were still glaring deficiencies, but we dominated a team many thought had a legit shot to stay #1 and win a National Championship.

It would be a season defining win.

Auburn is a a well established program with conference and national championship history. We've had 3 Heisman winners, 2 Outland Trophy winners, 3 Walter Camp Award winners, etc...

Beating Georgia is NOT a program defining win for Auburn. We've done it a total of 56 times over the years.

7 minutes ago, selias said:

It would be a season defining win.

Auburn is a a well established program with conference and national championship history. We've had 3 Heisman winners, 2 Outland Trophy winners, 3 Walter Camp Award winners, etc...

Beating Georgia is NOT a program defining win for Auburn. We've done it a total of 56 times over the years.

I get your point - but we're thinking about more of a recent history program defining win. Gus-era if you will. If this ends up being a turning point in the program, Gus learning to trust his staff and the team rising to the occasion, then we can certain look back at the win and say it was program defining. Yes we've won the SEC and been to a National Championship with Gus as HC but we did it on the backs of miracle plays. THIS win was dominant on both sides and could lay the foundation for us going forward.

But like I said, I see your point and it's definitely not program defining over the scope of our history. :)

Maybe rephrase to "brand defining win"?

Our brand under Gus umm had seen much better days and those days were when the current top recruits in the nation were in middle school. And while our recruiting hasn't been bad at all, there have been lots of murmurs that us treading around 8 wins each year and how we are being surpassed by our rivals recently has been a main point of our rivals to make against us to kids we are recruiting. So this was a brand defining win IMO more than a program-defining one as I had previously mentioned. I still stick by my other thoughts though lol

Archived