Why Roy Moore Matters

Proud Tiger

Really what I think we're seeing is a character test. How much are Republicans willing to compromise their beliefs to retain power in the Senate (or the Whitehouse, for that matter).

Just now, TitanTiger said:

100%

Well, I think it's less than 100%. I have some faith in my fellow human beings. I think some will vote for Jones, some will write in another name, and some will not vote at all.

Whether that's enough votes to keep Moore out of the Senate is another question.

4 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Well, I think it's less than 100%. I have some faith in my fellow human beings. I think some will vote for Jones, some will write in another name, and some will not vote at all.

Whether that's enough votes to keep Moore out of the Senate is another question.

Oh, the latest poll I saw had about 17% of Alabama Republicans who believe the allegations are "probably" or "definitely" true.  71% think the allegations are false.  So something between 71% and 83% roughly will end up voting for him anyway, if the percentage you we looking for was about how many Republicans would compromise themselves.  My percentage was snark basically saying that there apparently is no limit to what a person can do or have done to override retaining political power.  If Trump didn't disqualify himself multiple times during the primaries in their minds, if he didn't disqualify himself in the general election, then it's hard to imagine what would.

Oh, the latest poll I saw had about 17% of Alabama Republicans who believe the allegations are "probably" or "definitely" true.  71% think the allegations are false.  So something between 71% and 83% roughly will end up voting for him anyway, if the percentage you we looking for was about how many Republicans would compromise themselves.  My percentage was snark basically saying that there apparently is no limit to what a person can do or have done to override retaining political power.  If Trump didn't disqualify himself multiple times during the primaries in their minds, if he didn't disqualify himself in the general election, then it's hard to imagine what would.

Interesting. The one that blows my mind -- and tests my faith in my fellow human beings -- is that 71% think the allegations are false. 

2 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Interesting. The one that blows my mind -- and tests my faith in my fellow human beings -- is that 71% think the allegations are false. 

Funny enough, I hardly heard anyone saying they didn't believe the women when it was various Hollywood directors, actors, and other powerful men being accused.  But touch one of their guys and threaten political power, and suddenly all the women are on trial and it's a vast liberal conspiracy to pay off the women to lie and steal a Senate seat.

Funny enough, I hardly heard anyone saying they didn't believe the women when it was various Hollywood directors, actors, and other powerful men being accused.  But touch one of their guys and threaten political power, and suddenly all the women are on trial and it's a vast liberal conspiracy to pay off the women to lie and steal a Senate seat.

I'd have thought the failed attempt to 'sting' the post with an impostor accuser would have put that story to bed ....

3 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

I'd have thought the failed attempt to 'sting' the post with an impostor accuser would have put that story to bed ....

One would think.  But the politically diseased mind is an infinitely malleable thing.  It was totally a "heads I win/tails you lose" scenario for the diehards.  If WaPo fell for the ruse by Project Veritas and published the accusations of their secret shopper, it's proof they didn't do their due diligence on Roy Moore's other accusers as well.  If WaPo digs and finds inconsistencies, and in the course of that finds that the person is a plant by this group, then it's somehow proof that they only dig when it can expose a conservative group trying to trick them.  Either outcome magically proves the point they wish to believe.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

One would think.  But the politically diseased mind is an infinitely malleable thing.  It was totally a "heads I win/tails you lose" scenario for the diehards.  If WaPo fell for the ruse by Project Veritas and published the accusations of their secret shopper, it's proof they didn't do their due diligence on Roy Moore's other accusers as well.  If WaPo digs and finds inconsistencies, and in the course of that finds that the person is a plant by this group, then it's somehow proof that they only dig when it can expose a conservative group trying to trick them.  Either outcome magically proves the point they wish to believe.

'Diseased' is the right word for anyone who thinks that way

Archived