Experience means a lot

WarTim

When AU lines up to play their first offensive series against GT this Fall, look for BC

at qb and TS at rb. In College Football , EXPERIENCE is VERY important. In the SEC, there is no substitute.

Any thoughts to the contrary?

Time will tell...... :au:

I get the impression from the media that the QB job is BC's to lose. Experience may just be the thing that puts Tre in the starting slot, but I also get the impression that there's at least 3 backs that could very well split the playing time. Just guessing obviously, but it sounds like Tre, Irons and Stewart are all having their moments. Can't go wrong with any of them.

My guess is that Cox will be at QB and Tre will be at tailback with Stewart at the "Ronnie" slot. But, don't be shocked if by year's end, Kenny Irons overtakes Tre at tailback because of his "home run" ability.

i'm not knocking tre here but i would rather see irons and stewart filling 24 and 23's shoes and let tre do the special teams returns and what not. i think that there will be some drop off in the backfield but i don't think it's going to drop nearly as much as others say it will.

Stewart at the "Ronnie" slot.

150800[/snapback]

Hey, I like this name for the new position in Borges offense! ..Not necessarily #2 running back, just a different running back with a slightly different role.

[Although didn't I read something about Tre catching more passes this past week? ...wouldn't that put him more in the "Ronnie slot"?]

I can understand your logic with tre smith and experience...Tre has actually played a whole game(s)....But adding brandon cox to that argument is not wise. I wouldnt say he has "experience".

I doubt any experience vs "wipeout" teams we put him in for would count as "valuable experience".

Brandon will gain his "experience" this year, playing SEC caliber teams. No one can argue that Cox is "experienced"....i would label him inexperienced.

As far as Tre goes....Irons and Stewart have blown me away, and tre is up there. I expect all 3 to play, Irons and Stewart to start and Tre to return kicks and sub in for rb.

My guess is that Cox will be at QB and Tre will be at tailback with Stewart at the "Ronnie" slot.  But, don't be shocked if by year's end, Kenny Irons overtakes Tre at tailback because of his "home run" ability.

150800[/snapback]

Let's remember Mr. Borges' favorite scheme - put 'em all out there andlet the defense sort it out, IF they can! If he can split duties two ways last year, who's to say he can't do it THREE ways this year? Talk about mass confusion for a defense. Each one of the three has special talents in a particular area, and I imagine they will be used in those situations - kind of like the Bus and Zereoue for the Steelers - Zereoue gets you down the field, but you KNOW that on fourth and 1, the wheels on the Bus go round and round!

I may be mistaken but didnt Irons gain a couple of hundred yards at South Carolina his freshman year there? I seem to remember reading something about him being the second leading rusher that year. So wouldn't that give him "experience" that could equal Tre's? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are all right!! Cox running the show, and not showing that he is a first year starter. Stewart, Irons, Tre spliting time at RB, but with Tre getting the majority of the punt return duties. I don't know if any others have been getting looks at kick returners, but I would bet we will see Tre doing a good portion of punt returns if not all. Has any one seen if Jamoga Ramsey has been in the mix playing any where?? I had just heard of his quickness being almost deafening.

I agree on the experience thing. It is the only reason Daniel Cobb started over Jason Campbell and probably why it took Tubs so long to put JC in the starting position when he was obviously the better back - to get him experience before starting him.

I can understand your logic with tre smith and experience...Tre has actually played a whole game(s)....But adding brandon cox to that argument is not wise. I wouldnt say he has "experience".

Let's look at the stats.

BC 7 games 22 of 34 357 yards 2 TD

The rest of AU's qbs : 0 of 0 0 yards 0 TD

THAT is what I mean by "experience". Not to mention the fact that he was the back up last year and only one play away from being the starter. He took the vast majority of snaps in practice, second only to Jason, and he was a part of every game plan for that reason. :au:

I doubt any experience vs "wipeout" teams we put him in for would count as "valuable experience"

Cox saw playing time against "wipeout" teams like Tennessee and Arkansas. I'd say playing against those 2 should count for some valuable experience. IMO, anytime a player gets off the sideline and onto the playing field, he's gaining some valuable experience. But then again, what do I know. I'm just a evil, God fearing, bible toting republican.

I doubt any experience vs "wipeout" teams we put him in for would count as "valuable experience"

Cox saw playing time against "wipeout" teams like Tennessee and Arkansas. I'd say playing against those 2 should count for some valuable experience. IMO, anytime a player gets off the sideline and onto the playing field, he's gaining some valuable experience. But then again, what do I know. I'm just a evil, God fearing, bible toting republican.

150882[/snapback]

Hey, TIS, you forgot "guntotin' " and "war-mongering". ;)

150882[/snapback]

That makes TWO of "US" ! ! ! :D

150882[/snapback]

Last time I recalled...those 2 teams were wipeout teams when Cox went in....look it up. Those tenn. and arkansas games were really close!

Guest Tigrinum Major

150882[/snapback]

Last time I recalled...those 2 teams were wipeout teams when Cox went in....look it up. Those tenn. and arkansas games were really close!

150958[/snapback]

It was still SEC experience. Sounds like you are saying that Kevin Burnett had quit by that time. Granted, we have inexperienced QBs, no matter who starts, but Cox knows what it feels like to look up at a sea of orange (well, what was left of it by that time) and put his hands under center.

Personally, I don't give a rat's behind who starts, as long as Tuberville and Borges feel like they are the best person for the job.

Yo vatty! :D You are attemting to make an arguement that you can't win. Why bother? :blink:

Yo vatty!  :D  You are attemting to make an arguement that you can't win. Why bother? :blink:

150974[/snapback]

Actually, I tend to agree with vatz - those games were both over by the time Brandon got in there. Maybe Tenn and the pork rinds hadn't totally given up, but the fat lady was warming up on the sidelines... and every player out there knew it. No way would BC have gotten playing time if CTT was worried about a comeback. I AM glad that it was playing time in Neyland Stadium tho, even if the crowd was headed for the doors. If you can play there, you can play anywhere. Hopefully, even in Red Stick. B)

Vatz has just as much right to an opinion as you, Timmy. Just because War Tim has spoken does not mean Moses has come down from the Mount. :rolleyes:

BTW, it's "argument". Guess what I am giving you for Christmas, Timmy boy? ;)

And enough already - we have all had our fun at vatz's expense about the evil, God fearing, bible toting republican statement - who knows, maybe he had a reason for saying that - maybe some little old lady smacked him in the head with her hardcover, large print NKJV. But I am sure he DEEPLY regrets saying that, even if he still feels that way. It's not like we all haven't said things on this board that we regretted posting later. :bigblush:

150882[/snapback]

150958[/snapback]

It was still SEC experience. Sounds like you are saying that Kevin Burnett had quit by that time. Granted, we have inexperienced QBs, no matter who starts, but Cox knows what it feels like to look up at a sea of orange (well, what was left of it by that time) and put his hands under center.

Personally, I don't give a rat's behind who starts, as long as Tuberville and Borges feel like they are the best person for the job.

150966[/snapback]

True...SEC experience is more valuable than any citadel or LA tech we play.

Last time I recalled...those 2 teams were wipeout teams when Cox went in....look it up.  Those tenn. and arkansas games were really close!

150958[/snapback]

What close games did :au: have last season, other than LSU? Maybe I'm delusional, but I find it hard to believe that a player good enough to play on an SEC football team would flat out quit playing just because his team is getting beat (other than Bama, of course :big: ).

There's a big difference between "wipeout teams" and "wipeout games".

Last time I recalled...those 2 teams were wipeout teams when Cox went in....look it up.  Those tenn. and arkansas games were really close!

150958[/snapback]

What close games did :au: have last season, other than LSU? Maybe I'm delusional, but I find it hard to believe that a player good enough to play on an SEC football team would flat out quit playing just because his team is getting beat (other than Bama, of course :big: ).

151063[/snapback]

ANY experience in the SEC is "GOOD" experience. BC reminds me of a guy named Patrick Nix, at this stage of his career. I wouldn't say that PN was a great skilled player, but, he had good pocket ability and was a very good leader.

He had very little "quality" experience when he took over the reigns in '04.

p.s. Jenny, my guess would be a bag of coal stuffed into a Webster's dictionary?

(Or is it the other way around?) :D

p.s. Jenny, my guess would be a bag of coal stuffed into a Webster's dictionary?

(Or is it the other way around?)  :D

151068[/snapback]

Hey, just be glad you are even ON my Christmas list! Especially because you are SO BAD!!! :no:

I'll bet Santa had you on permanent blacklist. ;)

Love ya', dude!! B)

150958[/snapback]

151063[/snapback]

ANY experience in the SEC is "GOOD" experience. BC reminds me of a guy named Patrick Nix, at this stage of his career. I wouldn't say that PN was a great skilled player, but, he had good pocket ability and was a very good leader.

He had very little "quality" experience when he took over the reigns in '04.

(Or is it the other way around?) :D

151068[/snapback]

He sure did, any SEC experience I guess can be considered valuable.

I was just trying to state that Cox will receive the bulk of his "new experience" this year being a starter. Its a totally different mindset when you start a game vs LSU in baton rouge rather than coming in Tennesse and coach putting you in the 4th quarter when your own team is already up by a couple tds. When you start, your nervous, shakey, jittery.....when you come in and your up by a billion points....its just fun and games.

I expect Cox to flourish as the season progresses.....I think times might be a little shakey in the beginning, but as he settles into the role of a starter he'll be more at ease come game time.

Archived