Overcoming Political Tribalism...

DKW 86

Most people don't have any interest in even questioning, much less leaving, their political tribalism behind.  We increasingly only tune in to information and news sources that reinforce our view of the world.  If it conflicts with what we already believe, we regard it as suspect at best, "fake news" at worst and then run back to the comfort of our safe sources.  Team loyalty is valued above all, regardless of whether one is telling the truth.

I tend to agree with PT on this one...I don't see it getting better any time soon.  People are too comfortable, too invested in their tribes.  They don't want to "overcome" tribalism.  It makes them comfortable and at ease and distills complex issues and problems into simple platitudes and "solutions."  If everyone else would just join our tribe they'd see it too!

Titan, it is the Rush Limbaugh Effect. He just says what everybody was already thinking. There is no deep consideration of what was said. He just blabs on and on...

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Titan, it is the Rush Limbaugh Effect. He just says what everybody was already thinking. There is no deep consideration of what was said. He just blabs on and on...

I agree and hardly ever listen even a few minutes to Limbaugh. Mark Levin is much better.

9 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I agree and hardly ever listen even a few minutes to Limbaugh. Mark Levin is much better.

You scared me there PT. Levin is...:ucrazy:

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

PT, Levin and others like him, regardless of political persuasion, are part of the problem.

Do you think people like Pelosi, Maxine Waters, etc. are also?

i think both sides have plenty of wingnuts to go around.

I've mentioned the impact of upcoming generations before and how they will reshape American politics.  Good analysis here.  Be forewarned, bit of a long read.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/politics/post-millennial-wave-generation-change-voters-diversity/index.htm

20 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Most people don't have any interest in even questioning, much less leaving, their political tribalism behind.  We increasingly only tune in to information and news sources that reinforce our view of the world.  If it conflicts with what we already believe, we regard it as suspect at best, "fake news" at worst and then run back to the comfort of our safe sources.  Team loyalty is valued above all, regardless of whether one is telling the truth.

I tend to agree with PT on this one...I don't see it getting better any time soon.  People are too comfortable, too invested in their tribes.  They don't want to "overcome" tribalism.  It makes them comfortable and at ease and distills complex issues and problems into simple platitudes and "solutions."  If everyone else would just join our tribe they'd see it too!

It is really hard to tune into anything else.  Finding straight news requires effort and constant vigilance.  Why do that when you have easy access to something like Fox News?  They know what you want to know, how you want to know it, and are ready to give it to you around the clock.  Cherrypick pie is tastier than the stew made from everything.

Even if you are not tuning in to a television propaganda network, it is still being spammed at you through the ubiquitous social media networks.  I have seen longtime friendships torn apart before my eyes due to political arguments on Facebook, between people I never considered to have even a remote interest in politics.  Once you have accepted the fundamental premise that liberals or conservatives are automatically wrong and stupid, technology has made it much easier to simply remove them from your life.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:24 PM, TitanTiger said:

I know it's not news, but I recommend SCOTUS blog, precisely because I don't want something that reinforces my view of the world. Law > Politics. When you read authentic legal analysis depicted from controversies before 9 judges in black robes, deciphering "liberal" or "conservative" is often impossible, because the law favors no group - and for that matter, neither do judges [for the most part]. After all, one of the fundamental effects of Art. III is that courts do not decide political questions (a textually demonstrable constitutional commitment of the issue to a coordinate political department), but rather "cases or controversies." 

But I know our society is more concerned with politics than the "boring" and "dull" law. 

I escaped political tribalism 10 plus years ago. It’s liberating. 

Some tribes - and their leaders - are worse than others.

For example, I found out yesterday - thanks to Rush Limbaugh - that liberals want to confiscate "all guns".  Furthermore, "liberals hate you".

HAtedemocrats-hate-us.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 9:31 AM, homersapien said:

For example, I found out yesterday - thanks to Rush Limbaugh - that liberals want to confiscate "all guns".  Furthermore, "liberals hate you".

I had to ban myself from Facebook for a couple days over the “total confiscation of ALL guns”. I don’t know if they can help it or not. If you can spew this crap on social media and have people cheering you on..... I can’t get into the conversation. Those minds can’t be changed. It’s very profitable for the likes of Rush Limpball though. 

If  my guns are getting confiscated I am going to disregard the state and federal game and fish regulations on hunting seasons. I’ve got too many 12 gauge shells I don’t want to waste and ducks are still stacked up down here in the south. For the next few weeks anyway. If someone in the Democratic Party would confirm this plan I would go on a duck killing rogue spree. I have never seen even a hint from anyone ( including Sen. Finestien) that suggests a confiscation. 

On 3/2/2018 at 9:31 AM, homersapien said:

Most liberals do want to see the 2nd Amendment repealed. It’s just as much a fact as conservatives who want to end abortions.

9 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Most liberals do want to see the 2nd Amendment repealed. It’s just as much a fact as conservatives who want to end abortions.

Not sure I agree with this at all. The vast majority of conservatives I know want abortion completely abolished. Or say they do. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not sure I agree with this at all. The vast majority of conservatives I know want abortion completely abolished. Or say they do. 

I said they want to end abortions. 

23 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I said they want to end abortions. 

I misread it. ?

I’m not sure what you mean by “repealed “. I have only seen calls for better background checks. Maybe licensing, registration of guns. Limit capacity on magazines. The most ardent gun control supporters want assault riffles banned. Not aware of anyone supporting anything more extreme than that. 

Archived