Nice Move, Dick's Sporting Goods

RunInRed

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Like I said, people today love sustainable causes.

Maybe people just have a genuine interest in their grandkids having a habitable planet to live on? And maybe they have a genuine interest in their children living long enough to make grandkids? 

It's not a "cause". It's simple self preservation. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe people just have a genuine interest in their grandkids having a habitable planet to live on? And maybe they have a genuine interest in their children living long enough to make grandkids? 

If those things are their concern, they need to put firearms way deep on the back burner. DUI with alcohol and drugs, opioid addiction and texting while driving are much more likely to kill their grandchildren than firearms. A firearms in the hands of a legally carrying citizen is more likely to save their lives than to take them.

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If those things are their concern, they need to put firearms way deep on the back burner. DUI with alcohol and drugs, opioid addiction and texting while driving are much more likely to kill their grandchildren than firearms. A firearms in the hands of a legally carrying citizen is more likely to save their lives than to take them.

Guess what, Mikey? THEY DO CARE ABOUT THOSE THINGS, ALSO. There is no mutual exclusion here. Christ, what an odd thing to think.

As for your claim about legally owned guns, please provide statistics from a legitimate source. I'm fairly certain it's nonsense, but I'm willing to listen if you have evidence. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Guess what, Mikey? THEY DO CARE ABOUT THOSE THINGS, ALSO. There is no mutual exclusion here. Christ, what an odd thing to think.

As for your claim about legally owned guns, please provide statistics from a legitimate source. I'm fairly certain it's nonsense, but I'm willing to listen if you have evidence. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/27/new-evidence-confirms-what-gun-rights-advocates-have-been-saying-for-a-long-time-about-crime/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5a54fe2884d1

19 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

What that confirms is that a legal gun owner is more likely to commute ownership of their gun to a future perpetrator of gun crime than they are to save a life with one. No news there. 

Several things stand out:

More than 30 percent of the guns that ended up at crime scenes had been stolen, according to Fabio's research. But more than 40 percent of those stolen guns weren't reported by the owners as stolen until after police contacted them when the gun was used in a crime.

So guns that are legally purchased commit 50% of gun crime, even if it wasn't the legal purchaser who commits the crime. And that last part doesn't really matter, because legal gun owners are- as evidenced here- frequently irresponsible and, consequently, a danger to their fellow man.

What I am seeking is evidence that gun owners are effectively saving lives at a higher clip- get it? hah!- than they're endangering them. That was @Mikey's claim.

PS- Something else that stands out, and is yet another example of the government not taking even the most basic steps to make us safer from guns which do NOT involve taking anybody's guns away:

For instance, 10 states plus the District of Columbia have laws in place requiring gun owners to report the theft or loss of firearms to law enforcement, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a group that advocates for stronger firearm regulations. But in the majority of states, no such law is in place.

Additionally, past research has demonstrated that a small fraction of gun dealers are responsible for the majority of guns used in crimes in the United States. A 2000 report from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms found that in 1998, more than 85 percent of gun dealers had no guns used in crimes trace back to them. By contrast, 1 percent of dealers accounted for nearly 6 in 10 crime gun traces that year.

The firearms bureau knows exactly who these gun dealers are — but they're not allowed to share that information with policymakers or researchers due to a law passed by Congress in 2003. As a result, solutions for stanching the flow of guns from these dealers to crime scenes remain frustratingly out of reach for public-health researchers.

"There's not much federal funding out there to do research on firearm and firearm safety," Fabio said. As a result, "there's not a lot of good research out there. The process of getting it done has been hindered by a lot of limits on academics and how they can do firearms research."

Hmmm. 1 percent of gun dealers account for nearly 6 in 10 crime gun traces. Hmmm. Hell of a market share. I wonder what those dealers are doing with all that money? I mean, obviously they couldn't be shaping public policy and perception...

@McLoofus, I know I have stated before that I do support some gun control initiatives.  If I recall, I detailed it clearly in the other thread.

One of the biggest problems with firearm sales is that an individual selling a firearm to another individual resident of the same state is perfectly legal, but that individual has no real means of verifying whether the buyer can even legally possess firearms, aside from taking them at their word.  There is no background check or even paperwork requirement, and there are no real means for an individual to check without paying a fee for a dealer to do it.  Since nothing is really required, doing nothing is the option basically everyone chooses.  People usually call this the gunshow loophole, but it is a much bigger issue than gun shows.  Personally, I think people that cannot legally possess firearms buying them from people that can, but do not know that the buyer cannot, is a larger source of illegal firearms than theft.

If I want to sell a firearm, and someone that I know very well cannot or does not want to buy it, I sell it to a dealer.  We really have no way of knowing, but I suspect that puts me in a small minority.

20 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

@McLoofus, I know I have stated before that I do support some gun control initiatives.  If I recall, I detailed it clearly in the other thread.

Yeah. That was an aside, not directed at you or anyone in particular. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. That was an aside, not directed at you or anyone in particular. 

While you are in here, give this link a listen.  It is the guy that plays Alex, recounting his chat with Jeff Bezos and Bezos' later announcement that Amazon was picking it up.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-churn-episode-308-an-unexpected-betrayal-forces-the-roci-crew-to-take-drastic-action-in

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

While you are in here, give this link a listen.  It is the guy that plays Alex, recounting his chat with Jeff Bezos and Bezos' later announcement that Amazon was picking it up.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-churn-episode-308-an-unexpected-betrayal-forces-the-roci-crew-to-take-drastic-action-in

I haven't caught up on S3 yet :(

Is the recounting at the beginning of the podcast, by chance?

Also, cha-ching, new podcast.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I haven't caught up on S3 yet :(

Is the recounting at the beginning of the podcast, by chance?

Also, cha-ching, new podcast.

Yeah, the first 20 minutes or so are Alex talking about the ISDC panel with Bezos, then spends a few minutes with the writers talking about getting started on writing for season 4.  No spoilers.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Call it a cause, preservation, whatever you want. Point is people for whatever reason will choose these companies in today's market and spend more at these companies. The purpose of Dicks Sporting Goods is to produce a profit for it's shareholders. It appears in this case for the moment Green Marketing for Dicks has worked.

But when millennials do decide to part with their money, key patterns are beginning to emerge. Millennials prefer to do business with corporations and brands with pro-social messages, sustainable manufacturing methods and ethical business standards.

In 2015, Nielson published its annual Global Corporate Sustainability Report. It indicated that, globally, 66% of consumers are willing to spend more on a product if it comes from a sustainable brand. Millennials gave an even more impressive showing, with 73% of surveyed millennials indicating a similar preference. Additionally, 81% of millennials even expect their favorite companies to make public declarations of their corporate citizenship.

Simply put, people — millennials most of all — want the companies they buy from to practice business sustainably and ethically. And because advertising and marketing in the States appears to have reached a deafening roar in recent years, millennials also want companies to get serious about marketing in a socially responsible way.

Millennials are looking for four major qualities in socially responsible companies:

• They want companies to be actively invested in the betterment of society and the solution of social problems.
  • They want companies that prioritize “making an impact” on the world around them.
  • They want companies to be open and honest about their efforts — and to be public about their pro-social initiatives.
  • Finally, millennials want companies to involve their customers in their good works. They want an opportunity to give back — whether it’s with a gift of their time or their money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahlandrum/2017/03/17/millennials-driving-brands-to-practice-socially-responsible-marketing/#286818f04990

Archived