Alabama execution of 83-year-old Moody - Read with caution please

NolaAuTiger

Clink link for full article https://articles.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/04/execution_of_alabamas_oldest_d.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Alabama on Thursday night executed 83-year-old Walter Leroy Moody for the 1989 pipe bombing death of a federal judge. He became the oldest inmate executed in the United States since the return of executions in the 1970s.

The execution was delayed about two hours after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a temporary stay about 15 minutes before the scheduled 6 p.m. execution time.

The Supreme Court gave no explanation in its orders for the delay or why it later lifted the stay.

The execution began at 8:16 p.m. and according to prison officials his time of death was 8:42 p.m.

Moody kept his eyes closed and head still throughout the lethal injection execution and did not respond when asked by the warden whether he wanted to make a last statement.

Other than his chest moving during the early part of the execution and his jaw dropping slightly, only once during the event did he move when a few of his left fingers fluttered.

That happened soon after he didn't respond to a consciousness test. The test involves a corrections officer calling out the inmate's name, brushing his left eye brow, and pinching the left arm. It is administered to make sure the inmate is sedated enough to administer the two drugs used to halt breathing and the heart.

One of Moody's attorneys with the federal public defender's office in Montgomery took issue with the execution even though Moody moved less on the gurney than some previous inmates.

"I have attended two executions. In both, my client moved after the consciousness check. Ron Smith's was more horrific, but both were disturbing, and raise grave concerns about the DOC's (Department of Corrections) process," said attorney Spencer Hahn.

"Further, I'd like to know what they gave him before to knock him out and prevent him from getting to give his last words. There was no dignity in that room. This dishonored the memory of Judge Vance and Mr. Robinson," Hahn said.

Alabama Corrections Commissioner Jeff Dunn said Moody was not given any sedatives prior to the execution.

The execution was carried out with more security than usual because of the high profile nature of Moody's crimes. There were 10 investigators and intelligence agents at the prison, instead of the usual two to four, as the hour of Moody's death neared.

"I approach every execution by giving the condemned, and the issues raised by the underlying case, the careful consideration both deserve. My ultimate desire is to see justice rightly administered," Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey said in a statement issued after the execution.

Long overdue.

41 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If we are going to execute people, use a guillotine.  And broadcast it.

Or a 12 guage to the temple?

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

It's true......even the mighty F.B.I. can jump to conclusions and make mistakes.

But think about how many offices and agents the FBI has. Literally over 35,000 work for FBI. Thousands of on-going investigations. Yeah, when they mess up we hear about it. But they are overwhelmingly accurate in their work. It’s not even close. The Mueller thing isn’t all they do, by far.

This is not a rebuttal to you, as I don’t disagree with what you said. Just a thought I spurred.

37 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

But think about how many offices and agents the FBI has. Literally over 35,000 work for FBI. Thousands of on-going investigations. Yeah, when they mess up we hear about it. But they are overwhelmingly accurate in their work. It’s not even close. The Mueller thing isn’t all they do, by far.

This is not a rebuttal to you, as I don’t disagree with what you said. Just a thought I spurred.

I totally agree...

49 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not at all.   I am totally serious.

You "get" nothing, presumptious youngster.

What a "wise" and "mature" response. Ever notice how drastically different your comments read as compared with those of your counterparts? You should try learning from them. Wisdom can come late, it's okay. 

Bless your heart if you were being serious. 

28 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What a "wise" and "mature" response. Ever notice how drastically different your comments read as compared with those of your counterparts? You should try learning from them. Wisdom can come late, it's okay. 

Bless your heart if you were being serious. 

Awww,   :comfort:

Archived