Baseball vs Ole Miss - SEC Tournament

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I'm going to need you to buy a lotto ticket tonight and share the winnings with the board then with all your luck ?

There weren't that many good ones to call myself lucky. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, around4ever said:

Oh yeah, Helmet Guy was there and I also saw a Canadian Flag being waved.  

I was on helmet guy's row.  

47 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Ole Miss is quickly taking the lead for me in the "clueless low baseball IQ fanbases who just like to whine about anything."  My gosh, they were insufferable today.  

It starts at the top with those guys, Bianco is complete dick of a coach.  He may have the all time record for coaching victories at OM, but it will never be LSU and he will forever wear that inadequacy on his sleeve.  

Complaining about opponent fans is tricky business.   I've been to a lot of AU sporting events over the years and AU fans are as bad as you will find anywhere.  Not all, but just enough to be embarrassing....and that's probably the same with other schools too.  Just listen to the gripes AU fans in the background of baseball and basketball games on radio broadcasts....and Rod cries throughout most baseball games about calls of every nature...have gotten where I can't listen to him unless I have no other choice.   

But as for Bianco...yep....he's a pain. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Rod cries throughout most baseball games about calls of every nature...have gotten where I can't listen to him unless I have no other choice.   

I had to step away from the earbuds myself this afternoon.  His reaction to the overrule on the Jarvis pick off was childish.  

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Complaining about opponent fans is tricky business.   I've been to a lot of AU sporting events over the years and AU fans are as bad as you will find anywhere.  Not all, but just enough to be embarrassing....and that's probably the same with other schools too.  Just listen to the gripes AU fans in the background of baseball and basketball games on radio broadcasts....and Rod cries throughout most baseball games about calls of every nature...have gotten where I can't listen to him unless I have no other choice.   

But as for Bianco...yep....he's a pain. 

Very obvious in our game threads on the football forum. 

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Very obvious in our game threads on the football forum. 

Who us?   :-\   you must be thinking of someone else...:)

Julien now has 62 RBI in 58 games which I thought was ridiculous so I looked up the conference record.  Holy smokes the old gorilla ball teams that Skip Bertman put on the field for LSU must have made SEC pitchers wet the bed.  Brandon Larson had 118 RBI (and 40 freakin' home runs) in 70 games in '97.  That is ridiculous.  I guess the moral to that story is that the old BESR bats just slightly distorted the game.

22 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I had to step away from the earbuds myself this afternoon.  His reaction to the overrule on the Jarvis pick off was childish.  

He and Andy are unbearable together for my taste.  Just can't bring myself to listen to them unless I have no other options.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

He and Andy are unbearable together for my taste.  Just can't bring myself to listen to them unless I have no other options.

I don't understand the compulsion for schools to use the football guy for everything.  If you've ever listened to that fat ass Eli Gold call a game it's obvious he has no clue how baseball is played.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I don't understand the compulsion for schools to use the football guy for everything.  If you've ever listened to that fat ass Eli Gold call a game it's obvious he has no clue how baseball is played.

Some of these guys have their own following and I guess schools figure that their fans will listen (and like) the familiar voice.  

Back in the day, I would have listened to Buddy Rutledge call a domino game....and guys like Cawood Ledford and Larry Munson were legendary.......very few equal to them these day IMO.

23 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

To be fair to Rod, he was doing AU baseball long before he did football/basketball.  I just don't find him to be a fun listen outside of football.  His homerism is too over the top for me.  Always preferred a Scully type who could call a game professionally while still having a slight slant to his team.

11 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Been a great two days of baseball, especially watching AU come out on top in some high stress spots.  

By the way, I've been chuckling all day about your 167 degrees in the shade post from yesterday.  Seriously hope you're hydrating well in the evenings...we're going to need a few more wins out of you in the next few days.  Hoping tomorrow's evening game is a little cooler for you, bear down big guy.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Oh yeah, Helmet Guy was there and I also saw a Canadian Flag being waved.  

Who is Helmet Guy?

I wonder if that was Big Canada's parents? They were down in Auburn for a couple of weeks and were at Plainsman Park waving the Maple Leaf. 

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be fair to Rod, he was doing AU baseball long before he did football/basketball.  I just don't find him to be a fun listen outside of football.  His homerism is too over the top for me.  Always preferred a Scully type who could call a game professionally while still having a slight slant to his team.

I don't mind listening to them at all. Anything is better than the garbage on ESPN/SEC Network.

36 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

By the way, I've been chuckling all day about your 167 degrees in the shade post from yesterday.  Seriously hope your hydrating well in the evenings...we're going to need a few more wins out of you in the next few days.  Hoping tomorrow's evening game is a little cooler for you, bear down big guy.

I'm not taking summer classes, but had only planned on going to the first two games like I usually do because I'm a Masters student who hasn't furthered the research in my field much this week lol.  That said, I see Casey Mize getting a start in a game to put AU 2 wins away from a championship, I immediately buy tickets.  I'll be there (with sunscreen this time)

30 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Who is Helmet Guy?

I wonder if that was Big Canada's parents? They were down in Auburn for a couple of weeks and were at Plainsman Park waving the Maple Leaf. 

The Juliens were there, not sure I saw them with the flag though.  There are a couple of AU students who always bring one to the games, so most likely them making an appearance.

56 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't mind listening to them at all. Anything is better than the garbage on ESPN/SEC Network.

See, I feel like I get more info from the analysts on the network than I do from Rod and Andy.  The explanation given yesterday about Casey's grip after his interview was fantastic.

And again, Rod and Andy's blatant over-the-top homerism kills me.  If anything is remotely borderline, they tend to lose their minds.  Just not my cup of tea.

4 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Yep. And half the pitches him or Andy get bent out of shape about are correctly called by the umps at least.

But we are 2-0 this week with me listening to them so I’ll take one for the team again and listen to them tomorrow.

4 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Sad thing there is Rod was originally the baseball guy when he started out with AU Sports network in 1988. ( yes I know I’m old . Lol) When Jim Fyffe  was the football guy.. Jim did some baseball games too. I thought he was pretty good the few times I heard him call games.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

And again, Rod and Andy's blatant over-the-top homerism kills me.  If anything is remotely borderline, they tend to lose their minds.  Just not my cup of tea.

Sometimes it's not even borderline. Rod got bent out of shape Tuesday on some AU pitches that were mid-chin high he was thinking was strikes. Andy is better when he's on TV I guess partly cuz he has to be & he has a tv monitor in there so he sees what we see. The radio guys don't have monitors.

You can be a team fan & call a spade a spade. My all time favorite baseball play-by-play guy was Skip Carey & that was his style.

Anyone else see Butch yelling at Connor Davis in the dugout after he was pulled for Judd ward? Right after Ward took strike one they went to the dugout camera and BT and CD were walking down the tunnel and BT was pointing his arms down the tunnel and looked the most animated I’ve ever seen him. It was rather funny in a way... as long as CD doesn’t get benched for it tomorrow 

9 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Who is Helmet Guy?

Helmet Guy or some call him Cap is from Clanton.  I set behind him is softball and he is a great guy who like Auburn Sports and started leading cheers in Baseball years ago and now does the same at softball and some other Auburn sport events.   http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2015/04/meet-the-helmet-guy-alum-adds-spirit-to-softball-baseball

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep they showed the exchange between the ump and the coach...and the coach nodded and went back to the dugout when he saw the catcher was OK.  

But the announcers kept saying that Anthony should have stopped running since he was out by a couple yards.....which the way he was running was not possible.....and that's like saying a runner from first on a  DP ball to an infielder should stop and give the SS an unobstructed thrown to first.    

Also from Anthony's poinr of view running down the line he has one thing on his mind and that's scoring. At the point that the catcher actually catches the ball Anthony doesn't know if he was able to keep his foot on the plate or not seeing how high the throw was. I know I watched the play several times and it came close to pulling him off the plate. Players have to finish the play. 

Archived