Baseball vs Ole Miss - SEC Tournament

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Also from Anthony's poinr of view running down the line he has one thing on his mind and that's scoring. At the point that the catcher actually catches the ball Anthony doesn't know if he was able to keep his foot on the plate or not seeing how high the throw was. I know I watched the play several times and it came close to pulling him off the plate. Players have to finish the play. 

Our guy was dead to rights and he knew it before he even started the slide...at that point his only job is to break up the double play without hurting the catcher.  In my (catcher's experienced) opinion Josh Anthony did it absolutely perfectly.  He did not slide late, he did not slide with his feet up and he did not slide one inch outside the base path.  The only way it could have been any cleaner would have been to not slide at all, and he's been taught correctly to finish the play so that wasn't an option. 

Last night after the LSU/UF game Kyle Peterson was commenting on some play (don't even remember what it was) and said something to the effect that the broadcast team has to make things seem more exciting/controversial than they really are, which is what they did on the Anthony slide in my opinion  By the way, I really (really) like Peterson.  Chris Burke on the other hand needs to learn how to stop running his mouth constantly.  And if I hear him say "dudes" one more time I'm going to puke....

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Announcers: You can always tell the top-level pros because they talk about the game in front of them. The lower the announcer is down the food chain, the more he/they talk about random stuff from years past. The real greenhorns ignore the game and carry on a conversation between themselves. Unfortunately, the SEC network has some greenhorns.

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Announcers: You can always tell the top-level pros because they talk about the game in front of them. The lower the announcer is down the food chain, the more he/they talk about random stuff from years past. The real greenhorns ignore the game and carry on a conversation between themselves. Unfortunately, the SEC network has some greenhorns.

And then there are just good guys who are fun to listen to...Ben McDonald is as purple and gold as he can be but he's never been the least bit obnoxious to my ears.

Love that we have the aggies......and good chance to advance.

Meanwhile Arky wore out USCe last night....must be a pitcher's nightmare having to face that team....even in the big Met.   Two good games in the evening..... . UF against Arky should be interesting.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Meanwhile Arky wore out USCe last night....must be a pitcher's nightmare having to face that team....

That thing late last night was not the SEC's best look.  21 combined runs on 22 combined hits and 6 total errors (5 by Arkansas).  USC used 5 total pitchers who threw a total of 197 pitches, and still struck out 11 Arkansas batters.  3 wild pitches, a passed ball and two hit batters.  That game went close to four hours and ended at 1:30 this morning.

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

That thing late last night was not the SEC's best look.  21 combined runs on 22 combined hits and 6 total errors (5 by Arkansas).  USC used 5 total pitchers who threw a total of 197 pitches, and still struck out 11 Arkansas batters.  3 wild pitches, a passed ball and two hit batters.  That game went close to four hours and ended at 1:30 this morning.

Thanks.......I guess midnight baseball can look like that ...and we complain about noon time football?     USCe got a bad draw with two midnight ball games.  

Good thing from an SEC perspective is that only gamecocks and piggies were probably up watching that game.        Like you, I am in the EDT zone so only made it through a couple innings and it was 3-0 when I hit the off button on my TV control....so missed all the real fun. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

only made it through a couple innings and it was 3-0 when I hit the off button on my TV control....so missed all the real fun. 

Arkansas scored 3 in the first and second and 2 in the fourth and fifth.  It was 10-1 by the time SC decided to start playing in the sixth.

10 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

The Juliens were there, not sure I saw them with the flag though.  There are a couple of AU students who always bring one to the games, so most likely them making an appearance.

The Juliens got some great television time after Edouard's grand slam.  His dad was going crazy. I saw the replay after I got home. 

And for those that didn't see it, the SEC did a profile of USC's Carlos Cortes who plays OF left handed and 2B right handed.  Kid's got serious pop in his bat.

I get the sneaking suspicion his dad isn't easy for his coaches to deal with....

USC's Cortes, father share same passion for baseball

http://www.secsports.com/video/23575444

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's where I'll disagree with you whole-heartedly.  The best ones can weave stories in about all kinds of things while calling the game.  Scully was amazing at this.  Baseball in particular is a slow moving game where, especially on radio, there's a ton of dead time to fill.  You can only talk about stats/grips/etc so much before the listener gets bored.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to with Scully.  He spent nearly five minutes weaving the history of beards into the game, and it's just a glorious listen.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's where I'll disagree with you whole-heartedly.  The best ones can weave stories in about all kinds of things while calling the game.  Scully was amazing at this.  Baseball in particular is a slow moving game where, especially on radio, there's a ton of dead time to fill.  You can only talk about stats/grips/etc so much before the listener gets bored.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to with Scully.  He spent nearly five minutes weaving the history of beards into the game, and it's just a glorious listen.

Vin Scully is not a pro...... He's a sports angel sent by God.

Seriously, though, some announcers are way, way, way above the rest that they almost have to be called something else besides announcers.  Like Ambassadors.

Vin's a legend.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Vin Scully is not a pro...... He's a sports angel sent by God.

Seriously, though, some announcers are way, way, way above the rest that they almost have to be called something else besides announcers.  Like Ambassadors.

Vin's a legend.

I got to sit in his seat once on a tour of Dodger Stadium and almost cried.  I absolutely LOVE Vin.  You know how special he is when visiting players would come up to the booth to meet him.

See...that narrative by Vin is what I was talking about......pace of game allows a guy like Vin to educate his audience about beards and not interfere with the enjoyment of the game.....rather than having some guy complain for three innings about a call at the plate where they did not even know the applicable rule.

Thanks for vid...

Meanwhile...OM up on UGa 1-0 in bottom of 2nd...

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

And then there are just good guys who are fun to listen to...Ben McDonald is as purple and gold as he can be but he's never been the least bit obnoxious to my ears.

Totally agree.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Sad thing there is Rod was originally the baseball guy when he started out with AU Sports network in 1988. ( yes I know I’m old . Lol) When Jim Fyffe  was the football guy.. Jim did some baseball games too. I thought he was pretty good the few times I heard him call games.

Good god almighty :-\

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Meanwhile...OM up on UGa 1-0 in bottom of 2nd...

Dawgs lookin' for "two and a barbecue".  I wonder if they can play themselves out of hosting?  

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Dawgs lookin' for "two and a barbecue".  I wonder if they can play themselves out of hosting?  

They can probably play themselves out of a national seed, but they'll still host.

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Good god almighty :-\

Yep....could not help but laugh about that comment......so other than us and Mikey, does anyone know who Buddy R was?  ...

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They can probably play themselves out of a national seed, but they'll still host.

Before the last series against Arkansas they were sitting in the mid teens in most polls, very little chance they're top 8 after yesterday.  If they get beat, or worse shutout again today, I'm not sure they're even top 16.  Selection committee is going to have hell dealing with the RPI this year, starting with Auburn in my opinion.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

You can be a team fan & call a spade a spade. My all time favorite baseball play-by-play guy was Skip Carey & that was his style.

That whole crew was one of, if not THE, best announcer crews ever.

Skip Carey, Ernie Johnson & Pete Van Wieren (even Don Sutton, once he got a few yrs experience under his belt).  

Classic.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Agreed. They were projected #3 or #4 overall seed in the CWST from the 3 major baseball sites in BA, PG, & D1 going into the SECT after just taking 2 of 3 from Arky who was projected as a #5 or #7 seed. Going 2 & out vs Ole Miss who is projected #6 or #7 overall & losing to a top 15 RPI team who has likely played themselves as a 2 seed in aTm will not drop UGA from hosting & may not drop them from a national host either. Kendall Rogers of D1 basically covered this yesterday on twitter when asked about Ole Miss going 0-2 in the SECT & losing a national seed.

17 hours ago

11 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Before the last series against Arkansas they were sitting in the mid teens in most polls, very little chance they're top 8 after yesterday.  If they get beat, or worse shutout again today, I'm not sure they're even top 16.  Selection committee is going to have hell dealing with the RPI this year, starting with Auburn in my opinion.

FWIW NCAA selection committees don't usually pay much attention to human polls. It's why I don't pay attention to them at all besides having something interesting to talk about. UGA is likely safe as a National seed.

15 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I would say take less stock in the human polls and pay more attention to RPI.  Baseball committee has traditionally focused on RPI + conference record for hosts.  UGA is #4 in RPI as of this morning and of course had a good conferemce record.  They're a lock to host.

EDIT:  ELLITOR beat me to it LOL

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep....could not help but laugh about that comment......so other than us and Mikey, does anyone know who Buddy R was?  ...

Me - me!!

Went out for a bite of lunch with OM in the lead and came back to a rain delay.

Looks like the entire tournament is going to be plagued by that kind of thing which really screws up pitching rotations and "grand plans" for making the best use of a pitching staff.   Can waste a good starter by having a lengthy delay after a couple innings and that would be it for the guy.

Archived