Harper and Brown sign FA deals

gravejd

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

Let the guy live his life. 

No problem there since I have no influence on him..........so I'm guessing that means we have to always think these guys make the best decisions about where to go to school and when to leave, etc. ........even if there is reasonable cause to wonder about it.   I mean, just yesterday folks were talking about Davion Mitchell's wisdom in transferring and what  it could have meant if he had stayed.....and same with Heron. :dunno:   

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in God’s name would you sacrifice a chance at a NBA spot for a chance at a Final Four

the latter being less likely with us losing the first and third best player on the previous team, I might add 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No problem there since I have no influence on him..........so I'm guessing that means we have to always think these guys make the best decisions about where to go to school and when to leave, etc. ........even if there is reasonable cause to wonder about it.   I mean, just yesterday folks were talking about Davion Mitchell's wisdom in transferring and what  it could have meant if he had stayed.....and same with Heron. :dunno:   

The only NBA caliber player Mustapha had to compete with at SJSU was Ponds. He had to share touches with at least 3 here. Not to mention that move wasn’t made with the NBA even in mind, he made the right personal move

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

with at least 3 here.

That's yet to be seen....but possibly true...but he would have probably gotten as many shots while at AU as at SJU....Point and rebound distribution at SJU looked like AU and MH was in the middle.   Personally I thought he would make more impact than he did.....but could be the coaching or style or play...

Very interesting comments all the way around.

Bottom line for me is I hope Harper does great in the NBA (even though I have some doubts), and finishes his degree at some point.  I love the guy. 

He'll never have to pay for dinner in Auburn again, and for good reason.

And I'd like to reiterate my earlier assertion that he'd be a great coach.  Bruce Pearl said many times that Harper knew basketball better than he did.  The guy was a coach on the floor, even more so than most point guards.  I think he'd be a great coach.

Since this is basically the thread to talk Auburn ball currently, I was at the rec earlier when about 5 of our players came through. I actually wanted to run a game against them but my team left for whatever reason. Anyway, the Myles Parker dude from huntsville, guy looked like someone that could hoop hoop. Thought he might get some spot minutes when Chuma went down last year, hope he gets a game or two before he graduates

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Since this is basically the thread to talk Auburn ball currently, I was at the rec earlier when about 5 of our players came through. I actually wanted to run a game against them but my team left for whatever reason. Anyway, the Myles Parker dude from huntsville, guy looked like someone that could hoop hoop. Thought he might get some spot minutes when Chuma went down last year, hope he gets a game or two before he graduates

He is a walk on who is better than a lot of the guys we had under scholly for the barbee years and the first 2 years of Pearl.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I reside in the Huntsville area, and went to see him play a few times when he was in high school.  Looked great to me.  Comes from a good family.  Hope he does well.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is a walk on who is better than a lot of the guys we had under scholly for the barbee years and the first 2 years of Pearl.

I dont think hes going nowhere but I wonder what stops a guy like that from going D2 and just balling. bc hes a legitimate college athlete not like a cole blackstock 

no offense to Cole, who probably could annihilate everyone at said rec center 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont think hes going nowhere but I wonder what stops a guy like that from going D2 and just balling. bc hes a legitimate college athlete not like a cole blackstock 

I've wondered that too.  Parker could tear up D2 ball at a lot of schools.  I respect his choice to walk on at AU and bide his time waiting for a chance.

But he's a competitor, a good player, and I wonder what the dividing line is for someone in that position.

11 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I've wondered that too.  Parker could tear up D2 ball at a lot of schools.  I respect his choice to walk on at AU and bide his time waiting for a chance.

But he's a competitor, a good player, and I wonder what the dividing line is for someone in that position.

JMO but sounds like he values his Auburn education more than playing basketball a  couple years at a lesser school.    Some of these guys likely know that the NBA is not in their future and playing Div II is not gonna improve the draft status...better to get the AU diploma and enjoy a few years playing the game at a high level at the same time.   A gym rat's dream IMO.  

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27163940/nc-state-hit-d-smith-jr-related-violations

that article is about nc state And the violations under gottfried but I thought it was interesting in that there was no mention of AU being under investigation. They mention LSU Arizona uscw and a few other being under investigation but no mention of us. With recent worries I found that a bit comforting and thought I’d share 🙂

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Rec center talent must not be up to par these days

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but sounds like he values his Auburn education more than playing basketball a  couple years at a lesser school.    Some of these guys likely know that the NBA is not in their future and playing Div II is not gonna improve the draft status...better to get the AU diploma and enjoy a few years playing the game at a high level at the same time.   A gym rat's dream IMO.  

My experience just having a diploma is what matters.....haven't seen the situations where people are like oh you have an AUBURN degree, that's different.....if he's good enough to play D2 he should do it and maybe get to a college for free a couple of years. But that's if he's good enough, I haven't seen the indication of being better than most

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

My experience just having a diploma is what matters.....haven't seen the situations where people are like oh you have an AUBURN degree, that's different.....if he's good enough to play D2 he should do it and maybe get to a college for free a couple of years. But that's if he's good enough, I haven't seen the indication of being better than most

I can't speak from personal playing experience, because I was just a "decent" intramural player at best.  Although I did score 6 crucial points in that intramural championship game back in 1982...:) 

And I played a few pickup games with Charles Barkley, Chuck Person, Frank Ford, and some others.  Mainly just to make the teams even.  But Frank Ford told me that I had a "sweet jumper".  And I thought my strength was my fallaway in the low post.

But I'm very proud that my diploma is from AU.  I wouldn't want it any other way.

15 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

But I'm very proud that my diploma is from AU.  I wouldn't want it any other way.

Edited by KolchakAU85

I realize this is just a personal thing...but I'm betting that when job looking, an Auburn degree cuts more ice in the business world than a diploma from UNA or many of the other Div II schools that some of our transfers end up at.  

Granted the scholarship is valuable at the time, but if a player can go to AU with non-athletic aid and still enjoy playing for a few years as a walk-on......what a great memory to have later on.   :)  

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

As the great Chris Brown once said

"Ion see how you can hate from outside the club...you cant even get in"

I.have played with Cole before, I'm just going by the fact you said he could probably annihilate you....that's not hate it's an observation. And it's the rec......it's not exclusive

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I.have played with Cole before, I'm just going by the fact you said he could probably annihilate you....that's not hate it's an observation. And it's the rec......it's not exclusive

I didn’t include myself as part of the rec center. Him beating me is contingent on how fast he can get back to the 3 pt line on D

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn’t include myself as part of the rec center. Him beating me is contingent on how fast he can get back to the 3 pt line on D

How did you not include yourself? So you're the best player at the rec at Auburn?.......if you'd be shooting a bunch of 3's while playing Cole one on one it sort of tell on yourself as far as that you may suck,  But do your thing and make these dependent posters miss you!

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

How did you not include yourself? So you're the best player at the rec at Auburn?.......if you'd be shooting a bunch of 3's while playing Cole one on one it sort of tell on yourself as far as that you may suck,  But do your thing and make these dependent posters miss you!

I didn’t say that I was the best, I just play hustle and cheese 1 on 1. The premise is trading 1s for 2s

I’m pretty good open and off the one dribble step back to the left, that’s why I gave the conditional “it depends on how fast he’s getting back”

if he’s more of an athlete than I presume he is then it’d be a wrap 

If my back wasn't an issue, I could still shoot free throws with most of you guys.   :)

As far as scoring during actual play...........well.........my back is an issue.

We all remember our glory days, don't we?  My experience is that the further I get from them, the better they look.

But then again, I'm 56 years old and entitled to some back issues, and a clouded memory of glory days.  Ala Bruce Springsteen.

I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school (yeah)
He could throw that speedball by you, make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar, I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside, sat down, had a few drinks, but all he kept talking about was

Glory days
Well they'll pass you by, glory days
In the wink of a young girl's eye, glory days
Glory days

(Alright)

Well there's a girl that lives up the block, back in school she could turn all the boys' heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby, well, they split up, I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times, she says when she feels like crying, she starts laughing thinking about

Glory days
Yeah they'll pass you by, glory days
Glory days

(Alright boys, watch ???)
Rockin' now!
Whoa!

Think I'm going down to the well tonight and I'm gonna drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it, but I probably will
Yeah just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of
Well but time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of

Glory days
Glory days
Glory days

WHen will the guys such as Harper, Brown, and Dunbar know  if they make their respective NBA roster?

I didn't know what the next step is for making an NBA team after summer league.

If they do good enough in Summer League they will be invited to camp when veterans  and signees come and they will practice with whole team until a decision is made one way or the other.

Archived