BCS Meeting in Pheonix

DCTiger

Since the AP has decided not to be associated with the chaos that has become the BCS structure, how should it be decided which teams will be playing for millions of dollars?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Since the AP has decided not to be associated with the chaos that has become the BCS structure, how should it be decided which teams will be playing for millions of dollars?

• Lay out index cards with each team name and have Clucko the chicken crap on the 10 which will be selected
    • Conclave of TV sports guys locked in a room until their smoke turns white
    • Internet "fan" poll
    • Just let USC and Texas play. Screw everybody else.
    • Create computer algorithm that selects based on how many team caps were sold at Lids last year.
    • Replace the AP Poll with the Eufala Tribune Poll

I wll always have a warm spot in my heart for good old Eufaula ! ! ! :big::au:

You know, the poll is tongue-in-cheek, but I don’t know what the BCS can do? I mean, what possibly could they come up with when they get together in Phoenix next week to try … again … to fix the mess?

Fans don’t want computers. AP doesn’t want to be part of it. Commissioners don’t want a play-off. If they do a selection committee then it blows the interest of that stupid algorithmic poll that comes out every Monday in the 2nd half of the season.

I really cant imagine what they will come up with … but I bet it will be MORE laughable than their previous attempts. Whatever it is.

I really cant imagine what they will come up with … but I bet it will be MORE laughable than their previous attempts. Whatever it is.

This is the only thing we know for sure that will come out of the BCS mess.

Hell, just give it to USC and Texas...combine those two and you can ride that sack of hot air to the moon and back. Who knows, since Texas tries NOT to beat OU every year, we might get the priviledge of a rematch between the trojans and choklahoma! :rolleyes:

A couple of suggetions for tie-breakers in the selection process, just to keep things more interesting in the off-season--

In case of two teams being essentially tied in qualifying for the championship game (a la Auburn & Oklahoma last year), the selection goes to:

1) The team that rated the highest in the previous recruiting season ratings (so all these otherwise meaningless debates about who had the best recruiting year suddenly have a point)

or

2) The team with the fewest arrests in the off-season gets the bid (So all these recent stories of lawbreakers during baseball season mean something).

Either one has as much to do with winning a MNC on the field as the current system!

Coaches are biased... can't use them to vote.

Fans are biased... can't use them to vote.

Sports writters are biased... can't use them to vote.

Anyone who cares about the game of college enough to know who to vote for will be biased.

The ONLY way to get the best teams to the Championship is to have an effective, dispassionate, unbiased computer program that doesn't rely on polls, but does rely on the performance characteristics of football teams.

I said it before and I'll say it again...

Send a list of 50 statistical categories to the Head Coaches at the top 50 programs around the nation. Ask them to rank the categories from most important (like record, strength of schedule, total points, etc...) to the least important (like punting yards etc...). Then, colate the results, eliminate all but the top 20 categories, then send the list of 20 back to the Head Coaches at the top 50 programs and have them rank these from most important to least important.

Let the results of the second poll be the only contributing factor to the computer poll and let the chips fall where they may. The ones who supposedly know the most (head coaches) will be the sole contributors to determining how the teams are ranked without actually voting for any team.

Anyone who cares about the game of college enough to know who to vote for will be biased.

The ONLY way to get the best teams to the Championship is to have an effective, dispassionate, unbiased computer program that doesn't rely on polls, but does rely on the performance characteristics of football teams.

Send a list of 50 statistical categories to the Head Coaches at the top 50 programs around the nation. Ask them to rank the categories from most important (like record, strength of schedule, total points, etc...) to the least important (like punting yards etc...). Then, colate the results, eliminate all but the top 20 categories, then send the list of 20 back to the Head Coaches at the top 50 programs and have them rank these from most important to least important.

Let the results of the second poll be the only contributing factor to the computer poll and let the chips fall where they may. The ones who supposedly know the most (head coaches) will be the sole contributors to determining how the teams are ranked without actually voting for any team.

156567[/snapback]

...or we could have a playoff. :big:

SupperClub wrote: "...or we could have a playoff. "

-----------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely! You let the computer pick the top 4.

Then have 2 of the 4 BCS Bowls (rotating every year) play 2 weeks earlier than Jan 3 (Championship game day). These winners play each other in the Championship Game.

No increase in (or elimination of) Bowl games.

No lengthing of the football season.

Only 2 teams play 1 extra game.

Perfect.

156567[/snapback]

Whenever the system relies 100% on CPUs, there will be anomolies that sneak in from time to time, or people will figure out where the loophole is in the code. For instance, Texas Tech can amass 1000s of offensive yards per season and run up the score on nobodies, and will end up better off than an SEC school that would wipe the field with them every day.

Rule #1: One of the two teams in the MNC Game must have a Coach who's name ends in "ville". :D

Archived