The Dow is now negative under Trump

AUDub

Trading halted for the day. 

Correction: not for the day. Opened back up and now it's continuing to drop. 

Just now, SaturdayGT said:

This virus is a heck of a thing.  People are panicking and that will cause all sorts of mayhem with the stock market no matter who is president.

I'm not in a terrible mood about it. My 401k contribution is currently maxed (excellent time for that) and I'm seriously entertaining the idea of refinancing my house at a lower rate if we can and paying off a car we recently purchased. 

Just now, SaturdayGT said:

Yep there is definitely a silver lining! ....what sort of interest rates are you seeing? I haven't considered refinancing yet. 

Haven't looked hard yet. We're financed at 3.99 on the house, which is excellent, but if I can drop it a point, I'll yank some out on a refi and pay off our only other outstanding debt, which is a car. 

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I'm not in a terrible mood about it. My 401k contribution is currently maxed (excellent time for that) and I'm seriously entertaining the idea of refinancing my house at a lower rate if we can and paying off a car we recently purchased. 

Same situation here. Although McWifey doesn't want to borrow any extra on the refi. And that's cool. I think we locked in at 4.25.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Same situation here. Although McWifey doesn't want to borrow any extra on the refi. And that's cool. I think we locked in at 4.25.

The car is debt I don't like. Got a good deal on the car (used Acura), but the rate on it is 8.3 so we got screwed a bit on the loan. Wouldn't have much much issue with transferring that debt over to the house should that be an option, but my cutoff is a point. 

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

The car is debt I don't like. Got a good deal on the car (used Acura), but the rate on it is 8.3 so we got screwed a bit on the loan. Wouldn't have much much issue with transferring that debt over to the house should that be an option, but my cutoff is a point. 

Heard. It's all math. You're right, 8.3 is high and it might make sense to move it with where the rates are, especially if you're in a position to go with a 15 year. If not, you'd almost certainly lower your overall monthly by a wide margin. 

We'd probably do another 30 year. My goal is to lower the monthly and free up some cash. 

I bought some stocks on a long term play and am definitely maxing as much of my 401K contribution as possible.  And if the government sends out the stipend to everyone that's being kicked around, that's going in the market too.

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

I'm seriously entertaining the idea of refinancing my house at a lower rate

We are too

22 hours ago, AUDub said:

Haven't looked hard yet. We're financed at 3.99 on the house, which is excellent, but if I can drop it a point, I'll yank some out on a refi and pay off our only other outstanding debt, which is a car. 

Do you or any of the others on this board know the thumbrule for how much lower percentage rate it takes to cover the costs associated with refinance?  I've only been in my house a year at about 4%.  I wonder if it would be worth my while to also look into this.

22 minutes ago, countoff said:

Do you or any of the others on this board know the thumbrule for how much lower percentage rate it takes to cover the costs associated with refinance?  I've only been in my house a year at about 4%.  I wonder if it would be worth my while to also look into this.

¾ of a point is the generally accepted rule of thumb, but I ain't going to do it unless I can get it a point lower. Lot of factors to consider. Fees, your credit etc. 

Before this whole coronavirus thing kicked off, I was seriously thinking of an early retirement.  I guess now it's gonna be a year or two before that will happen.  

Unless "retirement" is forced upon me.

Im no expert, then of course, nobody knows really what the stock market will do, but I got a hunch this will rebound a huge amount as we progress with a vaccine and these drugs that they have mentioned that can do a lot to help the symptoms are given a go. Wuhan China, the virus is done, so it sounds like it will run the gambit in about 6-8 weeks, (we are like 3 weeks in here n the states?) then wane down considerably. Its definitely fear driven, so when its time to celebrate it will act accordingly as well!...This is my hope anyways!

28 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Im no expert, then of course, nobody knows really what the stock market will do, but I got a hunch this will rebound a huge amount as we progress with a vaccine and these drugs that they have mentioned that can do a lot to help the symptoms are given a go. Wuhan China, the virus is done, so it sounds like it will run the gambit in about 6-8 weeks, (we are like 3 weeks in here n the states?) then wane down considerably. Its definitely fear driven, so when its time to celebrate it will act accordingly as well!...This is my hope anyways!

I'm expecting a sharp turn when everything gets back to normal.  Similar to 1987 with maybe a little more flattening out of a U curve instead of a V curve.

29 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Seems extremely optimistic. Virus cycle aside, the low wage shoulders this economy stands on are already falling out from under it at an extremely high rate, and they are the same who can least afford to protect themselves from the virus or afford to treat it once contracted. But man, I hope you're right.

• 9 months later...

Just an update here. Rates still down. We refi'd a point lower to 2.99. Car now paid off. Pulled some out to do some home improvement while we were at it. Carpet in my girls' bedrooms upstairs is about 33 years old (original). I picked up a literal ton of plank vinyl flooring, 900 feet², some ¾ round and underlayment. Plan on doing the project myself. Only tool I didn't have on hand for the job was a jigsaw, which I picked up today. May do a thread in the DIY club for progress updates as I go.

Also got to do the rails, balustrade and stair on my front deck. That I think I can do myself.

Back deck needs replacement in its entirety. Not looking forward to that, may need a pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived