Talking Past & Present AU WRs Attributes (From Recruiting Forum)

Beaker

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

They will all have misses because these are 17-18 year old who can change their minds as fast as Flash runs the 40.

I was wondering about comparing Flash to the Jet, so I looked it up:   40 and 100 yd

4.27  vs 4.43

10.09  to 10.38  

and that is with HS coaching; got to think he can work on quickness and strength at Auburn.   I am still excited we picked this cat up!

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

I was wondering about comparing Flash to the Jet, so I looked it up:   40 and 100 yd

4.27  vs 4.43

10.09  to 10.38  

and that is with HS coaching; got to think he can work on quickness and strength at Auburn.   I am still excited we picked this cat up!

Don't forget about Worm. Only half a step behind Schwartz and probably a step faster than MJJ.

Will MJJ be running track?

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yes, that's his plan

It was in the email.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Don't forget about Worm. Only half a step behind Schwartz and probably a step faster than MJJ.

Pretty sure Shaun ran a 10.39 100 meters, which would put him at almost exactly the same speed as Jet.

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure Shaun ran a 10.39 100 meters, which would put him at almost exactly the same speed as Jet.

that is correct, a hair under 10.4

and from what I hear,  Jet considers himself a football player first.  I have a feeling Jet will be a great blend of speed and physical play, as Shaun is, but as a receiver.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Should've stuck with my first response, which was "Worm vs Jet would be more competitive than Jet vs Flash". 

I had seen somewhere that Worm had run a faster 55m than Jet but who knows with all the different ways in which that could be invalid. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Should've stuck with my first response, which was "Worm vs Jet would be more competitive than Jet vs Flash". 

I had seen somewhere that Worm had run a faster 55m than Jet but who knows with all the different ways in which that could be invalid. 

as long as he is can run like Chris Davis for 109 yards, it's all good.

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

that is correct, a hair under 10.4

and from what I hear,  Jet considers himself a football player first.  I have a feeling Jet will be a great blend of speed and physical play, as Shaun is, but as a receiver.

I haven't seen his film to know how physical he is, but I'd rather him be more elusive like Schwartz, personally. I do feel like being 6'1 is going to help Johnson some, because that'll make him taller than most DBs, and didn't I see something about him having a great vertical leap?

*Edit* Why are we talking about the speed guys on the Dylan Brooks thread?

I kind of felt like this one might come back around to us anyway. I was surprised with the UT commit in the first place. Hope we are gaining ground!!!

18 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I haven't seen his film to know how physical he is, but I'd rather him be more elusive like Schwartz, personally. I do feel like being 6'1 is going to help Johnson some, because that'll make him taller than most DBs, and didn't I see something about him having a great vertical leap?

No reason to make it either/or, is there? Sammie Coates was both. Imagine a guy like that who can catch. We could name it a a Julio Jones or something.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No reason to make it either/or, is there? Sammie Coates was both. Imagine a guy like that who can catch. We could name it a a Julio Jones or something.

I don't remember Sammie being particularly elusive, just fast. It's not often you find a player who can be both, because the physicality usually brings size with it, which hinders elusiveness. I mean, yes, of course, I would prefer that the player be both, I just feel like it's mostly a trade off to be one or the other.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don't remember Sammie being particularly elusive, just fast. It's not often you find a player who can be both, because the physicality usually brings size with it, which hinders elusiveness. I mean, yes, of course, I would prefer that the player be both, I just feel like it's mostly a trade off to be one or the other.

Gotcha. At 6'1 185, I doubt this guy is too bulky to be elusive. 

You're right, though. It's interesting that we're talking about MJJ here and talking about roster management in the MJJ thread. Whatever. I'm just glad we're talking about crootin' and football stuff and whatnot. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. At 6'1 185, I doubt this guy is too bulky to be elusive.

I couldn't remember his weight, but the counter to your comment is that at 6'1, 185, I doubt he's bulky enough to be particularly physical. I mean, yeah, he could be wiry and strong and able to still have an element of physicality to his game, but that would make him even more special (we can hope), and I still doubt he'd be known more for the physicality than the elusiveness. 

But, of course, we'll see. Hopefully you'll be right and he can be equally great at both.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I couldn't remember his weight, but the counter to your comment is that at 6'1, 185, I doubt he's bulky enough to be particularly physical. I mean, yeah, he could be wiry and strong and able to still have an element of physicality to his game, but that would make him even more special (we can hope), and I still doubt he'd be known more for the physicality than the elusiveness. 

But, of course, we'll see. Hopefully you'll be right and he can be equally great at both.

Not that this guy is Sammy Watkins, but I thought to look him up for comparison as I remember him being roughly the same size. Gonna have to pat myself on the back here, as Watkins was 6'1 180 out of high school. First box is Sammy's recruiting profile. Second is his draft profile.

HIGH SCHOOL: All-time leading receiver in Lee County history with 133 catches for 2,997 yards and 36 scores in his career. ... Led South Fort Myers to an 11-1 record and the 3A state semifinals as a senior. ... Out of the "wildcat" formation, Watkins ran for 133 yards and three scores in six carries during a playoff game. ... Averaged 11.8 yards per carry in his career. ... Won his classification's 200-meter state track title as a senior and finished second in the 100. Took fifth in the 100 as a junior. ...

Strengths:

Explosive play-maker

Threat to score on any touch

Game-breaking speed

Forces teams to keep a safety deep

Impacts game plans

Intimidates defensive backs

Quick release off of the line

Rare first-step quickness

Stretches the defense

Phenomenal body control

Good size

Very strong; built extremely well

Breaks tackles; gets yards after contact

Quick feet

Leaping ability

Great route-runner; sudden out of breaks

Quality hands

Adept at finding soft spots in zone

Regularly defeats double teams

Passionate for the game

Can run the ball out of the backfield

Rare athleticism

Physical blocker

Durable, experienced 3-year starter

Experienced, dominated good competition

53 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I gave an inch by relating how fast teenagers minds change to Flash running the 40 & @Beaker & @McLoofus took a mile by running with it.

• ellitor changed the title to Talking Past & Present AU WRs Attributes (From Recruiting Forum)

@McLoofus and @ellitor     Dylan Brooks running mile - 

Says in the school newspaper, he ran a 9:46  in 8th grade.   That is the last known time he ran the mile.  

Were you guys really wanting to know his mile time or just poking fun at me?  bwahahahaha

sorry, rabbit holes get dug quickly sometimes.

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

@McLoofus and @ellitor     Dylan Brooks running mile - 

Says in the school newspaper, he ran a 9:46  in 8th grade.   That is the last known time he ran the mile.  

Were you guys really wanting to know his mile time or just poking fun at me?  bwahahahaha

sorry, rabbit holes get dug quickly sometimes.

Definitely not making fun of you! Making fun of myself for my contribution to that rabbit hole if anything. 

Can't believe you found that mile time for him, though. Awesome.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely not making fun of you! Making fun of myself for my contribution to that rabbit hole if anything. 

Can't believe you found that mile time for him, though. Awesome.

chuckling....I know you weren't making fun of me.  And if you were, I don't care.  I promise I don't have thin skin.  

This forum and group of people is quite fun.  A couple of guys are over the top, but that's fine too.  

seriously, I made that up about his mile time.  You guys and this forum are  my entertainment for the day.  

51 minutes ago, Beaker said:

chuckling....I know you weren't making fun of me.  And if you were, I don't care.  I promise I don't have thin skin.  

This forum and group of people is quite fun.  A couple of guys are over the top, but that's fine too.  

seriously, I made that up about his mile time.  You guys and this forum are  my entertainment for the day.  

I've noticed that you tend to just roll with it, and I definitely appreciate that about you. And I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize you were joking.... I should have. Haha well played.

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've noticed that you tend to just roll with it, and I definitely appreciate that about you. And I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize you were joking.... I should have. Haha well played.

mile time

middle school newspaper

me finding that

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

10.29 100 meters 😉

14 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

10.29 100 meters 😉

My apologies. Didn't mean to undersell him!

Archived