Texas v California (Obamacare Case)

Brad_ATX

Good thread for anyone wanting to follow oral arguments today. Worth clicking into for updates.  This is the case that Republican led states brought forth to try and have the Court strike down the ACA.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Good thread for anyone wanting to follow oral arguments today. Worth clicking into for updates.  This is the case that Republican led states brought forth to try and have the Court strike down the ACA.

I caught the last half hour. What are your thoughts?

4 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I caught the last half hour. What are your thoughts?

Seems like Kavanaugh and Roberts are looking for a way out and found it via severability.  I think the ruling will ultimately be that the individual mandate is struck down, but the rest of the law stands.  And if that is the ruling, it's a huge win for the Democrats and folks like me who greatly depend on the ACA to protect pre-existing condition coverage.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Seems like Kavanaugh and Roberts are looking for a way out and found it via severability.  I think the ruling will ultimately be that the individual mandate is struck down, but the rest of the law stands.  And if that is the ruling, it's a huge win for the Democrats and folks like me who greatly depend on the ACA to protect pre-existing condition coverage.

Oral argument rarely plays a dispositive role on how a SCOTUS justice will rule. Nonetheless, the “right” wing of the court was much tougher on the ACA challengers - IMO. I’ll even go as far to opine that the specific challenge will fail. As one congressman said, and as I paraphrase the same now: “I want you to use my words against me down the road if I’m wrong.” 

Archived