Next year positions ratings

shabby

We will have a lot of talent and /or  experience next year. How would you grade the returning talent. This is not a thread about coaches and wasted potential. If that is your agenda then please post on one of the 35 other threads. This isn't about Gus or the staff. So by position from qb offensive line tight ends and recievers to running backs. 

Suggested grades: A B C D E. Commentary with your grades is very welcome. 

Then do the same for defense. I woukd start but honestly don't have the depth of knowledge to provide anything of merit. Interested in your thoughts for next year. 

QB - C

RB - A

OL - D

TE - B (Won’t be utilized under CGM but very talented).

WR - A (if Seth and Schwartz return), C (if they don’t.)

DL - C

LB - B

DB - B

P - C

K - A

No clue why there is so much hope for next year being any different. I don’t see a ton to be optimistic about. Truth is, all these skill positions could be A’s and B’s, if our offensive and defensive lines don’t improve, we aren’t going to be worth a crap.

I think the lines will improve, but I also think in typical Gus fashion he’ll have us in Atlanta, possibly winning and on to the playoffs.   He’ll even break the curse in Red Stick.  

Then he’ll suck goat for another season and a half before getting fired mid-season with little true SEC talent on the roster and three years additional years to get above .500.  

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

QB - C

RB - A

OL - D

TE - B (Won’t be utilized under CGM but very talented).

WR - A (if Seth and Schwartz return), C (if they don’t.)

DL - C

LB - B

DB - B

P - C

K - A

No clue why there is so much hope for next year being any different. I don’t see a ton to be optimistic about. Truth is, all these skill positions could be A’s and B’s, if our offensive and defensive lines don’t improve, we aren’t going to be worth a crap.

I agree with much of this other than the line play. I think the offensive line sets up rather nicely next year. I feel like however a C rating for Nix is kind

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

I agree with much of this other than the line play. I think the offensive line sets up rather nicely next year. I feel like however a C rating for Nix is kind

I toyed with the idea of giving him a D, but he usually has a few quarters every season that he plays pretty well, so I’ll give him the straight mediocre rating. If someone could weigh his cleats down and keep his feet planted, he may even be a B. 

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

QB - C/B (with good progress could be better).  I’m hoping 4th qtr last night sticks

RB - A need Goodwin

WR - with Seth and Flash they are C (we’ll miss stove)

OL - D- (no tackles or C)

HB/TE - B

DL - C

DE - C-

LB - C+ / B- ( we need a KB)

DB - B+

One cannot win without a decent line and QB play!

It’s almost impossible to grade without taking coaching into consideration.   The philosophy is what puts the players in position to succeed, but here goes based off the above mentioned criteria.  

QB-C.  He is average at best.   No consistent touch on the deep ball, does not react well in the pocket.    Has the ability to use his legs when in trouble.  Not the leader that I was expecting 

RB-A.  Tank is the real deal.   

TE-D to C.  Nonexistent in this offense other than blocking.  Until they are used it’s impossible to know 

WR-C.   Routes are questionable due to offense but it seems that sometimes effort comes into play and ability.   At times they look like it could be elite, and then someone is running a route and falls down out of explanation.

OL-D.    Pass protection is terrible and run blocking isn’t much better going against the best.   

DL-D.   Completely man handled against a quality o-line.  

LB-C current group playing out of position 

CB- C.   Average group.  No real standout 

S-C.   Poor coverage skills but decent in run stop 

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Me too. I don’t want to pour on the man, but he is not the QB I thought he would be by year two. I hope by next year maybe the lights will come on and he has a special season. It’s happened before. I would say C- at best. 

QB- C. The only reason it isn't worse is because I think D. Davis coming will put more competition on Bo and force him to be better

RB- A If everyone stays I think it is a strong A at that

WR- B- I like the group we have even if Seth and Flash both leave. I think Capers and Hudson are stars in the making. I think Flash's departure will open a role for Jet Johnson. There will be growing pains, but talent is there

TE- B Everyone saying we have no way of knowing, I would argue to grade them on what they are asked to do in our system which is block. TEs have been a critical part of our run game with blocking this season and while they haven't been targeted many times, they have caught the ball when they were thrown to.

OL - B I think another year experience will do wonders with this group. They will never be elite, but they can be good. After rewatching UGA game, they didn't whipped as much as they missed assignments. I think a lot of that is due to lack of spring.

DL- B I think we got whipped alot this year, but there were positive signs. The entire Defensive grade IMO depends on the emergence of a true NT type to demand DTs on the line. Wooden and Hall will be good. I am hoping Jay HArdy becomes that force inside we missed this year

LB- B I like the guys we have but we need an emergence of a big stout MLB that can replace Britt. Wooten coming back could be the guy.

CB- B Simpson, Pritchett, and Domio make a solid 3. I was impressed with all 3 this year when they played. If Rog were to come back I would bump them to an A but I think he gone.

S- C This to me is the hardest group to grade because I don't know if Sherwood and Smoke come back. If they do, they really need to improve a lot to get this up to a B

K- C?

P -D?

Overall I think the roster as well as the schedule both set up much better than this season which I have said for a while. I think the talent is there for a 10 win season, but I dont know if the subject we aren't supposed to talk about in this thread is up to it. 

Archived