2022 Baseball Recruiting Thread

Catcher Ike Irish. If that ain't a baseball name there never has been one!

16 commits. Seems a lot for a sport that's total scholarship limit is 11.75, and that includes returning players as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Two pitchers from little Hartselle Al are they that good? One righty one lefty 

Yes. They are regularly one of the top HS baseball programs in their class in the state. They and Cullman are huge rivals and Cullman is now winning state titles regularly as well. 

• Thanks 1

I know the MLB draft isn't what it used to be, but does anyone know if these players might be drafted....we lost some last year???

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

I know the MLB draft isn't what it used to be, but does anyone know if these players might be drafted....we lost some last year???

@tigerman1186 it’s too early to tell about this group. And last year we didn’t lose as much as we could have with there only being five rounds. I have not seen an announcement for however many rounds they plan to do this year.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

@tigerman1186 it’s too early to tell about this group. And last year we didn’t lose as much as we could have with there only being five rounds. I have not seen an announcement for however many rounds they plan to do this year.

They said there was the option to halve the draft to 20 rounds, but it's supposed to be 40. For all intents and purposes for college recruiting, basically business as usual.

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, warbiscuit said:

They said there was the option to halve the draft to 20 rounds, but it's supposed to be 40. For all intents and purposes for college recruiting, basically business as usual.

Been a while since this was announced, but I just saw this post and thought it was worth the bump. The MLB Draft has been shortened to 20 rounds and will take place July 11-13. That brings a few interesting things to my mind. First, the shortened draft brings about the potential for guys on the fence to return (assuming we have room for them to return). Second, I'm curious what guys like Richard Fitts and Carson Skipper and Kason Howell will do between the end of the season and the draft. Typically, the draft would be in early June, and guys would report to summer ball teams or not go at all knowing they were going to be drafted and then would report to their new appointments once they signed. Given that there's 6 weeks or so between the end of the season and the draft, I would assume most guys would go play summer ball and then leave if they're drafted. Guys like Bliss and Miller will probably go straight to a training program to prepare for the draft and wait for their name to be called. But those on the fence might follow through with summer ball until things change.

Also, here's a list of guys who are leaving as seniors and draft eligible players to keep an eye on:

Jack Owen, Peyton Glavine, Cody Greenhill, Steven Williams, Judd Ward, and Rankin Woley have all graduated and won't return.

Ryan Bliss, Richard Fitts, and Tyler Miller are showing on several lists as draft prospects. 

Kason Howell, Brody Moore, Carson Skipper, and Garrett Farquhar are draft eligible, but I think all will return. Skipper might be one that isn't showing on draft projections as much but could get drafted late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, boomstick said:

Been a while since this was announced, but I just saw this post and thought it was worth the bump. The MLB Draft has been shortened to 20 rounds and will take place July 11-13. That brings a few interesting things to my mind. First, the shortened draft brings about the potential for guys on the fence to return (assuming we have room for them to return). Second, I'm curious what guys like Richard Fitts and Carson Skipper and Kason Howell will do between the end of the season and the draft. Typically, the draft would be in early June, and guys would report to summer ball teams or not go at all knowing they were going to be drafted and then would report to their new appointments once they signed. Given that there's 6 weeks or so between the end of the season and the draft, I would assume most guys would go play summer ball and then leave if they're drafted. Guys like Bliss and Miller will probably go straight to a training program to prepare for the draft and wait for their name to be called. But those on the fence might follow through with summer ball until things change.

Also, here's a list of guys who are leaving as seniors and draft eligible players to keep an eye on:

Jack Owen, Peyton Glavine, Cody Greenhill, Steven Williams, Judd Ward, and Rankin Woley have all graduated and won't return.

Ryan Bliss, Richard Fitts, and Tyler Miller are showing on several lists as draft prospects. 

Kason Howell, Brody Moore, Carson Skipper, and Garrett Farquhar are draft eligible, but I think all will return. Skipper might be one that isn't showing on draft projections as much but could get drafted late.

I guess I should tie this back into the theme of the thread. I started to and then got sidetracked with work and forgot my train of thought. 

We currently have 17 guys signed to the incoming class, and if Harrison Owen comes (he’s still committed but not signed), he’ll be #18. We currently have 35 rostered players. We started the season with 38 in a year where you could have unlimited players on your roster. Next year, the roster limit is set at 40 with 32 allowed to be on scholarship, and in 2023, things will go back to the normal 35 roster limit with 27 scholarship players. 

With 6 seniors leaving plus Bliss and Miller likely gone, that makes 8 off of the 35. To fit in the entire class plus any transfers we may try to take, I think the roster number we bring back after this season needs to be 21-23, which means there are currently four guys either on the roster or in this incoming recruiting class that won’t make the team next year (assuming we use all 40 spots). I don’t think we will use all 40 if we didn’t use it this year when we could’ve. I expect the roster size to be in the 37-38 range again. So, it seems we still have quite a ways to go until we know what next year’s roster will look like. 

13 hours ago, boomstick said:

I guess I should tie this back into the theme of the thread. I started to and then got sidetracked with work and forgot my train of thought. 

We currently have 17 guys signed to the incoming class, and if Harrison Owen comes (he’s still committed but not signed), he’ll be #18. We currently have 35 rostered players. We started the season with 38 in a year where you could have unlimited players on your roster. Next year, the roster limit is set at 40 with 32 allowed to be on scholarship, and in 2023, things will go back to the normal 35 roster limit with 27 scholarship players. 

With 6 seniors leaving plus Bliss and Miller likely gone, that makes 8 off of the 35. To fit in the entire class plus any transfers we may try to take, I think the roster number we bring back after this season needs to be 21-23, which means there are currently four guys either on the roster or in this incoming recruiting class that won’t make the team next year (assuming we use all 40 spots). I don’t think we will use all 40 if we didn’t use it this year when we could’ve. I expect the roster size to be in the 37-38 range again. So, it seems we still have quite a ways to go until we know what next year’s roster will look like. 

Where can I go to refresh who those 17 guys are we signed? Also, I wonder how they did this baseball season in HS/JC, etc...

Are any transfers coming in too? I know it's a hot commodity in Basketball and Football these days, but I don't see it much in BB....

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Where can I go to refresh who those 17 guys are we signed? Also, I wonder how they did this baseball season in HS/JC, etc...

Are any transfers coming in too? I know it's a hot commodity in Basketball and Football these days, but I don't see it much in BB....

The only place I know to see who has actually signed is Auburn's official website. No recruiting site has a completely updated list because none of them compile a list of HS and JUCO signees. We added a JUCO signee a couple weeks ago from Chatt Valley in Phenix City, Mason Land. As far as transfers, I've been told we're going to look at the transfer market to fill some potential holes, but there's no guarantee we take anyone. Plus, I'm not sure how the transfer portal will work with regards to college baseball. Right now, you can leave a D1 school, go to a JUCO school, and then be immediately draft eligible. So, there's multiple paths for college baseball unlike other sports. I'm curious to see how the one-time-free transfer works and if it helps college baseball at all. And we'll get our first taste of that this summer.

If you go to this link and search for the word "signing," you'll see the list of names.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/baseball/archives

• Like 1

So here are my thoughts on who will most likely be gone: note Seb Thomas, Carter Frederick and Johnny Ceccoli have all left already.

Right now Woley, Williams, Greenhill, Ward, Owen and Glavine are gone as graduates, and Bliss is most likely gone to the draft. Fitts and Miller are the next two to join him if they leave, with Skipper and Howell being a wild card to leave as well. That is 3 P's, 2 OF's and 1 IF in the grads, with 2 IF's, 1 OF and 2 P's in the draftees.

I believe Nate LaRue, Payton Sybrandt, and Kade Snell are most likely gone, unless Butch convinces LaRue to stay as a pitcher, because they've transitioned LaRue to a sidewinder. Since there aren't many catchers in this class, and we only have Dyal rn, I could see Schorr staying, especially if Owen doesn't come back. He's on the trip to Mizzou rn even as a redshirt and Sybrandt already went home. I could see Hall, Peirce, Brown, Fuller and Sokol leaving. Fuller is a walk on though, with one southpaw pitcher coming in and Fuller wasn't recruited heavily, so there's a chance he stays. Depending on who gets switched to the OF(Moore for example, and Ware if he doesn't come back to the IF), Hall, Peirce and Brown could leave, but  there is only one OF recruit. Sokol may leave depending on how the draft turns out, because the class is pitcher heavy. I believe we have 7 pitchers coming in rn. Calvin Zeigler is the most likely recruit to get drafted. However, Butch has a great history of having players turn away big money to come to Auburn with Cole Foster, Davis Daniel, Garrett Wade, Steven Williams and Tanner Burns being the biggest examples. Then again it's possible like last year with John Griffin Bell and Logan Austin that some recruits leave. 

Here's the incoming class: Note with JUCO guys, the actual year of eligibility is listed. If it says "Sophomore", it's really a junior with the extra year with COVID.

C

Harrison Owen-?

IF

Mason Land-JUCO, “Sophomore”

Blake Rambusch-JUCO, “Junior”

Luke Burk-JUCO, “Sophomore”

Seaver Sheets

Brody Moss-

Wesley Helms

OF

Mike Bello

P

Calvin Zeigler-RHP

Chase Allsup-RHP

Korbin Griffin-LHP

Sawyer Toney-RHP

John Armstrong-RHP

Jordan Armstrong-RHP, JUCO “Junior”

Riggs Threadgill-RHP, JUCO “Sophomore”

Trevor Horne-RHP

Parker Carlson-RHP

Ben Bosse-RHP

Cade Granzow-RHP

Edited by warbiscuit

On 2/10/2021 at 7:13 AM, augolf1716 said:

Two pitchers from little Hartselle Al are they that good? One righty one lefty 

Russellville won another state championship in baseball, so may be there are some more Wards and Greenhills  that Butch can recruit to Auburn!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Russellville won another state championship in baseball, so may be there are some more Wards and Greenhills  that Butch can recruit to Auburn!

Wow good follow up Yeah I saw they had won another one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

So here are my thoughts on who will most likely be gone: note Seb Thomas, Carter Frederick and Johnny Ceccoli have all left already.

Right now Woley, Williams, Greenhill, Ward, Owen and Glavine are gone as graduates, and Bliss is most likely gone to the draft. Fitts and Miller are the next two to join him if they leave, with Skipper and Howell being a wild card to leave as well. That is 3 P's, 2 OF's and 1 IF in the grads, with 2 IF's, 1 OF and 2 P's in the draftees.

I believe Nate LaRue, Payton Sybrandt, and Kade Snell are most likely gone, unless Butch convinces LaRue to stay as a pitcher, because they've transitioned LaRue to a sidewinder. Since there aren't many catchers in this class, and we only have Dyal rn, I could see Schorr staying, especially if Owen doesn't come back. He's on the trip to Mizzou rn even as a redshirt and Sybrandt already went home. I could see Hall, Peirce, Brown, Fuller and Sokol leaving. Fuller is a walk on though, with one southpaw pitcher coming in and Fuller wasn't recruited heavily, so there's a chance he stays. Depending on who gets switched to the OF(Moore for example, and Ware if he doesn't come back to the IF), Hall, Peirce and Brown could leave, but  there is only one OF recruit. Sokol may leave depending on how the draft turns out, because the class is pitcher heavy. I believe we have 7 pitchers coming in rn. Calvin Zeigler is the most likely recruit to get drafted. However, Butch has a great history of having players turn away big money to come to Auburn with Cole Foster, Davis Daniel, Garrett Wade, Steven Williams and Tanner Burns being the biggest examples. Then again it's possible like last year with John Griffin Bell and Logan Austin that some recruits leave. 

Here's the incoming class: Note with JUCO guys, the actual year of eligibility is listed. If it says "Sophomore", it's really a junior with the extra year with COVID.

C

Harrison Owen-?

IF

Mason Land-JUCO, “Sophomore”

Blake Rambusch-JUCO, “Junior”

Luke Burk-JUCO, “Sophomore”

Seaver Sheets

Brody Moss-

Wesley Helms

OF

Mike Bello

P

Calvin Zeigler-RHP

Chase Allsup-RHP

Korbin Griffin-LHP

Sawyer Toney-RHP

John Armstrong-RHP

Jordan Armstrong-RHP, JUCO “Junior”

Riggs Threadgill-RHP, JUCO “Sophomore”

Trevor Horne-RHP

Parker Carlson-RHP

Ben Bosse-RHP

Cade Granzow-RHP

Someone on another board who is close to LaRue said they didn't think he would leave. Apparently, he really loves Auburn and would stay as a backup catcher rather than transfer. Don't know if that will actually happen, but I could see him staying if we transitioned him to another position. Plus, he has raw pop in his bat and catching experience, and that's always nice to have around.

Edited by boomstick

5 hours ago, boomstick said:

Someone on another board who is close to LaRue said they didn't think he would leave. Apparently, he really loves Auburn and would stay as a backup catcher rather than transfer. Don't know if that will actually happen, but I could see him staying if we transitioned him to another position. Plus, he has raw pop in his bat and catching experience, and that's always nice to have around.

Out of curiosity, what board is that? And yeah like I said, if they can convince him to be a pitcher, that's how I can see it. But right now he needs to .

5 hours ago, AUfan3333 said:

I didn’t notice it anywhere else, but I was just curious as to why Carter Frederick left?

I mean he was redshirted this year along with Schorr, Sybrandt, Snell and Ceccoli, and there is a lot of pitchers coming in. Probably the main reasons.

40 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Out of curiosity, what board is that? And yeah like I said, if they can convince him to be a pitcher, that's how I can see it. But right now he needs to .

I mean he was redshirted this year along with Schorr, Sybrandt, Snell and Ceccoli, and there is a lot of pitchers coming in. Probably the main reasons.

The bunker. 

I found another JUCO commitment while digging around for summer ball assignments. Jordan Thompson, RHP at CVCC, committed to us two days before his teammate Mason Land committed and signed. Thompson looks like he had a pretty good year at CV with a strong K-to-BB ration and a decent ERA. Hopefully, that translates over to the SEC.

Tyler Drabick of Lipscomb announced he'd transfer here. I believe he's a grad transfer.

Edit: He is a grad transfer but Lipscomb was where he originally grad transferred to. So this is the free transfer.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 2