Any Race Fans here?

wdefromtx

Well the EPA has decided to crack down and now want to say that it is in violation of the Clean Air Act to take any vehicle that was ever assigned a VIN number and use for race purposes only. 

This is the government moving the goalposts. In 2017 a new environmental law was passed and the EPA snuck in the language that strictly outlaws taking a street vehicle and turning it into a race use only car. Yet, when asked about this the EPA said that this was not their intention. However, recently they have been going after companies that sell off road use only parts. They are looking to kill a multi billion dollar industry. The RPM act was introduced to clarify the environmental bill, but has not gained enough exposure to be sent forward. It’s a bipartisan bill that aims to work with the EPA and save the industry as well as a hobby for thousands and thousands of race enthusiasts. 

If you enjoy this type of hobby and even if you don’t, you should be outraged with this government overreach. Here’s a couple of hearing videos as well as a link you can use to write to your legislators. 

https://www.votervoice.net/mobile/SEMA/Campaigns/45394/Respond?vvsn=BAAAAAVoACSFLAgrd2X7FBA

17 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Well the EPA has decided to crack down and now want to say that it is in violation of the Clean Air Act to take any vehicle that was ever assigned a VIN number and use for race purposes only. 

This is the government moving the goalposts. In 2017 a new environmental law was passed and the EPA snuck in the language that strictly outlaws taking a street vehicle and turning it into a race use only car. Yet, when asked about this the EPA said that this was not their intention. However, recently they have been going after companies that sell off road use only parts. They are looking to kill a multi billion dollar industry. The RPM act was introduced to clarify the environmental bill, but has not gained enough exposure to be sent forward. It’s a bipartisan bill that aims to work with the EPA and save the industry as well as a hobby for thousands and thousands of race enthusiasts. 

If you enjoy this type of hobby and even if you don’t, you should be outraged with this government overreach. Here’s a couple of hearing videos as well as a link you can use to write to your legislators. 

https://www.votervoice.net/mobile/SEMA/Campaigns/45394/Respond?vvsn=BAAAAAVoACSFLAgrd2X7FBA

First time posting on the political forum for me!  Although I don't consider this thread to be too bad.  Personally I am fine with this.  As a full disclosure I am an environmentalist, however, I come from a racing family and I have clients who own racing teams in NASCAR, IndyCar as well as Top Fuel.

For the top racing tier, these teams are already moving to cleaner racing.  Indy Car and Formula One already race on ethanol and even moving to all electric.  I surmise eventually it will be all electric soon, as you can get more torque out of an electric engine.  My hybrid Lexus actually is faster than the same model Lexus with a V8 due to the electric motor getting it off of the line faster (I don't race it, I am more into off-roading really).

The EPA might not realize this, but they are actually helping move the racing industry along faster to quicker cars as more of these cars will get into electric engines.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

First time posting on the political forum for me!  Although I don't consider this thread to be too bad.  Personally I am fine with this.  As a full disclosure I am an environmentalist, however, I come from a racing family and I have clients who own racing teams in NASCAR, IndyCar as well as Top Fuel.

For the top racing tier, these teams are already moving to cleaner racing.  Indy Car and Formula One already race on ethanol and even moving to all electric.  I surmise eventually it will be all electric soon, as you can get more torque out of an electric engine.  My hybrid Lexus actually is faster than the same model Lexus with a V8 due to the electric motor getting it off of the line faster (I don't race it, I am more into off-roading really).

The EPA might not realize this, but they are actually helping move the racing industry along faster to quicker cars as more of these cars will get into electric engines.

The way I am reading it is this wouldn't affect pro racing as much as the private folks/enthusiasts that own "track cars" and "track motorcycles" that used to be street vehicles.  On the other hand, it would be largely unenforceable.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Do you realize that even the amateur racing industry also drives improvements for cars? For instance, my buddy has a newer Mustang with the Coyote engine. It makes nearly 1000 rwhp, has no cats and runs in e85 and his tuning has it where it actually can pass a smog test. In fact, his car actually has been compared to a stock one running on gasoline and factory cats and his puts out less emissions. 

Killing a 20 billion dollar industry and people’s hobby is dumb. Especially when in reality isn’t doing anything other than being an easy revenue source for the government. 

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

The way I am reading it is this wouldn't affect pro racing as much as the private folks/enthusiasts that own "track cars" and "track motorcycles" that used to be street vehicles.  On the other hand, it would be largely unenforceable.

I have no problem with them going after the end user who uses their car on the street still when it shouldn’t. But they are going after the companies that make parts and tuners. 

All the main manufacturers take production vehicles right off the assembly line and modify them to race at Sebring, LeMans etc. Full engineering teams support them to gain knowledge. That will be a huge loss of knowledge. 

17 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Killing a 20 billion dollar industry and people’s hobby is dumb. Especially when in reality isn’t doing anything other than being an easy revenue source for the government. 

I suppose that is where we would disagree.  I don't think it would kill the amateur racing industry.  I think it might just move it in the direction it is already headed.  The racing industry is always evolving.  Racing today is drastically different than the 2000's and if we look back to this very moment in 2030 cars will be different then as well with new technology.  It would not be surprised if we see a push for an electric-hydrogen hybrid engine instead of gasoline.

Racing has been headed into a different direction for a good many years. It just forces some companies to prepare for closing down or changing their business model. Government is taking over and there's not stopping it.

Freedom is no longer what we thought it was or what we (older generation) saw it as. 

36 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Racing has been headed into a different direction for a good many years. It just forces some companies to prepare for closing down or changing their business model. Government is taking over and there's not stopping it.

Freedom is no longer what we thought it was or what we (older generation) saw it as. 

That’s the problem, this can be helped if people would come together in force to get their respective congressman on notice about this. The rpm act is just sitting there. I have done that and trying to spread the word. I’m not willing to assume we can’t do anything. There’s no reason for this and it does nothing really but harm businesses. Many of the companies I’m talking about will have to close completely , there is no changing business models. Anyone who converted a production car into a race only car is already breaking federal law. A law that was snuck into another regulation without giving a chance for comment. I hope someone sues and it reaches the SC. Sad thing is, this regulation was based more on political agenda and not scientific evidence . This was essentially what the epa even admitted. Hell the director of the epa admitted she’s not even a scientist and didn’t know what the basis of this regulation is. 

Archived