Stanford coach on NIL's

aubiefifty

Alabama Football

Stanford coach: Bryce Young’s deals not what NIL is ‘supposed to be about’

Updated Jul 27, 2021; Posted Jul 27, 2021

shares

By Mike Rodak | mrodak@al.com

When Nick Saban told the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention last week that sophomore quarterback Bryce Young already has name, image and likeness deals totaling almost $1 million, other college coaches across the country took notice.

One was Stanford’s David Shaw, who offered in-depth commentary Tuesday about Saban’s motivations and Young’s business dealings.

“It wasn’t accidental,” Shaw said at Pac-12 media days of Saban’s revealing the general amount of Young’s deals. “Many of us around college football kind of shrugged our shoulders and said, ‘Is this really what we want to be doing?’

“I wonder about the people who are engaging in high-value deals like that. I know a lot of business people. I wonder what their return is on that investment. That’s a major investment. That’s a high-dollar value investment. What are they getting back from that?”

Saban, who said he did not want to give an exact figure for Young’s marketing deals, described he amount as “ungodly” during the coaches’ convention, which was being covered by local and national reporters.

“First of all, Nick Saban is smarter than any 10 of us in this room combined. There’s no way that was a throw-in,” Shaw said. “It’s obvious to me Nick wanted to plant that and make sure people knew that. It’s a great way to recruit people to come to you, which the guy hasn’t started a college football game and he’s already signed a whole bunch of deals to make money.

“To me, I don’t think that’s what this whole thing is supposed to be about. I don’t believe that is true market value. I think that’s Alabama value. But that’s not market value for an individual, which is what this is supposed to be about.

“I’m not saying it’s wrong. In my mind when I look at this, it is a combination of your personality, who you are, and what you’ve accomplished in order to create opportunities for yourself. That to me is kind of putting the cart before the horse. It’s all legal, it’s fine now.

“Nick mentioning that at the Media Day is a great way to kick-start your recruiting, especially if you’re recruiting another high-caliber quarterback, as we all know that they are.”

Saban did not make his initial comments about Young at SEC media days but answered a question about it.

Young, who has yet to start a game with Alabama, has only publicized one NIL deal to date, with Cash App. Shaw questioned the worth of such deals for the business.

“Over time that’s not a wise thing to do business-wise, is to give a college athlete a whole bunch of money if you’re not getting anything in return,” he said. “So as many people like kind of chuckled when I saw that, there will be very few people around the country that have those opportunities.

“I wonder, too, after this era right now, this year where these things happen, if people will continue to do that going forward. I still wonder what do you get back from giving a student-athlete a whole bunch of money. Does that help your business? If it does, great. If that’s not a great business model for you, how is that sustainable? That’s part of what we all knew was going to happen.

“There are going to be a few of those stories over this year. My guess is there will be fewer of those stories in the following year. In particular, there will be more of those juniors and seniors that are established, that have a chance to go on and do something beyond college football. Those to me are the ones that will have those deals, not guys that haven’t started a game yet.”

Mike Rodak is an Alabama beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mikerodak.

NIL is going to make such a fundamental difference. It seems to me that a huge pitch in recruiting is going to be things like "Come play for us and your NIL deals will be bigger than those other schools."  Already things are happening. Check this story on a future tOSU QB thinking of leaving HS a year early for big NIL money...

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-americas-no-1-qb-recruit-quinn-ewers-give-up-7-figure-nil-offers-for-one-more-season-of-texas-high-school-football-200803437.html

• Like 2

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

But that’s not market value for an individual, which is what this is supposed to be about.

What did anyone expect? It's a free-for-all, no holds barred bidding war. None of us yet realize how crazy this NIL thing is going to get. Maybe the high rollers, the rich alumni who will be forking out $100,000 per autographed photo have been studying it. The normal fan, the guy who won't be reaching into his pocket for the big donations has yet to put a lot of thought into it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

How long until the Universities award contracts (building, catering, exclusive advertising, etc.) to those companies who are signing players to NIL contracts?  David Shaw has no idea what he is talking about.  These deals could potentially be worth a ton to these companies.  YellaWood is household brand name due to SEC coach endorsements.  Player endorsements will do the same.  Besides these boosters have been paying players for years, now they can benefit publicly from these relationships.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:18 AM, Howard Roark said:

How long until the Universities award contracts (building, catering, exclusive advertising, etc.) to those companies who are signing players to NIL contracts?  David Shaw has no idea what he is talking about.  These deals could potentially be worth a ton to these companies.  YellaWood is household brand name due to SEC coach endorsements.  Player endorsements will do the same.  Besides these boosters have been paying players for years, now they can benefit publicly from these relationships.  

So if we were trailing while all this was being done in dark alleys, how does Auburn benefit now that it's out in the open? This is now an arms race and those currently rich are poised to get richer. I do think you're onto to something, and you ask the right question - how long? Because while that could be lucrative and beneficial in future recruitment, how much further ahead will Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, etc. be because the brand power of their name alone?

• WarTiger changed the title to Stanford coach on NIL's