88% of Covid-19 Hospitalizations in AL are Unvaccinated patients. 94% in GA

AU9377

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2021/08/16/alabama-two-icu-beds-available-statewide-covid-delta-surge/8157313002/

Officials continue to urge more Alabamians to get vaccinated, as the majority of Alabama's current COVID hospitalizations are tied to unvaccinated people. 

....................about 88% of Alabama's COVID patients are unvaccinated. Dr. Scott Harris last week said breakthrough vaccination cases and subsequent hospitalizations are rare but typically occur in high-risk individuals, including people who may be immunocompromised. 

• Sad 1

For anyone contemplating whether or not to get one of the COVID-19 vaccines, here's a story I just heard from my wife. She got her hair cut today and the lady cutting it asked whether my wife had been vaccinated.  She said yes (we're both vaccinated btw) and the lady (45yo) said she had just made an appointment for her and her husband to get one asap.  She said the reason why was because some family and friends had a gathering awhile back and 9 of them ended up testing positive for COVID-19.  Out of the 9 people, 2 of them (man and wife in their 60's) had been vaccinated.  Their symptoms were mild and recovered in a few days.  The other 7 had not been vaccinated.  6 out of those 7, did not require hospitalization and recovered at home with no lasting side effects.  But the remaining unvaccinated women, who is in her mid 30's, an avid runner and very healthy was not as lucky.  She required hospitalization for weeks, and has suffered severe lung damage as a result.  Her doctor said she was very lucky to have not been put on a ventilator but she's now having to see a pulmonologist because of her lung damage.  This happed in south Alabama, fwiw, and just wanted to pass it along to everyone.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I caught Covid last summer, got vaccinated at the beginning of the year when it was available for people with underlying problems. I am just now starting to feel better from Covid again which I caught about a week and a half ago. Which I caught it from some friends that unknown to me wasn’t vaccinated, but just had fake vaccine cards. My wife and I went to NOLA with them and rode in the same car. They started to slowly show some symptoms, at first I didn’t think it was Covid because I thought they were vaxxed. On the way back they were full blown sick….I figured well we have to get home so I’ll hope my vaccine works…especially since I’ve already had Covid. 

I will say that even though I caught it again the vaccine has given me an advantage against it. I’m already ahead in my recovery than my friend, by far. He may actually end up in the hospital. Also, for those that don’t know I am also immunocompromised because of my heart and the damage I incurred from a widow maker heart attack almost two years ago….and I’m only 41. 

I didn’t fully trust the vaccines, given some of the other drugs and such they try to push on us. But figured we ingest all kinds of stuff everyday that is approved by the FDA that is questionable at best. 

If I end up with a baby arm I’ll just join whatever class action lawsuit happens. Lmao 

15 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I caught Covid last summer, got vaccinated at the beginning of the year when it was available for people with underlying problems. I am just now starting to feel better from Covid again which I caught about a week and a half ago. Which I caught it from some friends that unknown to me wasn’t vaccinated, but just had fake vaccine cards. My wife and I went to NOLA with them and rode in the same car. They started to slowly show some symptoms, at first I didn’t think it was Covid because I thought they were vaxxed. On the way back they were full blown sick….I figured well we have to get home so I’ll hope my vaccine works…especially since I’ve already had Covid. 

I will say that even though I caught it again the vaccine has given me an advantage against it. I’m already ahead in my recovery than my friend, by far. He may actually end up in the hospital. Also, for those that don’t know I am also immunocompromised because of my heart and the damage I incurred from a widow maker heart attack almost two years ago….and I’m only 41. 

I didn’t fully trust the vaccines, given some of the other drugs and such they try to push on us. But figured we ingest all kinds of stuff everyday that is approved by the FDA that is questionable at best. 

If I end up with a baby arm I’ll just join whatever class action lawsuit happens. Lmao 

I'll def say a prayer that you recover quickly. Life is a lot more fragile than many realize.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I had a friend tell me a couple of weeks ago that if he got sick he would just take the mononeuclonal antibodies.  He said he didn't trust a vaccine developed so quickly.  I started laughing and he asked what was so funny?  I had to explain to him that he was willing to take a much lesser tested treatment developed by the same scientific community that developed the vaccines without so much as a question, yet a vaccine already given to hundreds of millions of people with very few side effects and a proven track record of helping to prevent serious illness and hospitalization was somehow not worthy of his consideration.  To me, that just doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the antibody treatment being given when someone needs it.

• Like 3

Four children orphaned:

A mom of 4 who died of covid days after her husband makes one final wish: ‘Make sure my kids get vaccinated’

By Andrea Salcedo

A few weeks ago, Lydia Rodriguez thought her body was strong enough to fight the coronavirus without the vaccine.

But after a week-long church camp, she and other members of her family tested positive for the coronavirus. By the time Rodriguez, 42, changed her mind and asked for the shot, it was too late, her doctor said. A ventilator awaited her, her cousin Dottie Jones told The Washington Post.

Out of options, the Galveston, Tex., mother of four, asked her family to make a promise: “Please make sure my kids get vaccinated,” Rodriguez, a piano teacher, told her sister during their last phone call.

Rodriguez died Monday — two weeks after her husband, Lawrence Rodriguez, 49, also died after coronavirus complications. The couple fought the virus from hospital beds just a few feet from one another in a Texas intensive care unit, Jones said.

Lydia and Lawrence Rodriguez, who were married for 21 years, were among the tens of millions of Americans who have not yet received at least one dose of the coronavirus vaccine, which is available free to anyone over the age of 12. Health officials have stressed that the vaccine significantly lowers one’s chance of becoming severely ill or dying of the virus. The now-orphaned children of the Rodriguez family join the millions tragically affected by the sometimes deadly illness.

The case of the Rodriguez family echoes that of other unvaccinated patients who have begged their doctors for vaccine doses before being intubated.

“Lydia has never really believed in vaccines,” Jones, 55, told The Post. “She believed that she could handle everything on her own, that you didn’t really need medicine.”

A neotal nurse, Jones was familiar with the serious effects covid-19 had on mothers and babies she treated at the Sugarland, Tex., hospital where she worked. She shared with Rodriguez how she had watched patient after patient be connected to a ventilator for weeks without much improvement.

Jones could have gone on and on. But her cousin’s silence spoke for itself, she said.

“I knew she would never get vaccinated,” Jones told The Post. “I was very concerned.”

Rodriguez’s husband, who shared her anti-vaccine beliefs, also declined to get the shot. Three of their four children are eligible but have not yet received the vaccine, Jones said.

In early July, days after Rodriguez and the children returned from a Christian church camp, Jones’s worst fears became true. One by one, each member of the family — including Rodriguez’s husband, who did not attend camp because of work — tested positive for the coronavirus.

The family didn’t tell anyone they were sick until Rodriguez’s husband drove her to the hospital on July 12 after she began experiencing shortness of breath. Rodriguez was admitted to the ICU, and her husband was admitted to another ward, Jones said.

By then, the rest of the family stepped in to bring groceries and medicine to the couple’s four children, who were all infected and quarantining at home. The youngest child was the only one to experience mild symptoms, Jones said. The rest were asymptomatic.

At one point, Lawrence Rodriguez’s condition appeared to be improving, but a couple of days after he was admitted, he was rushed to the ICU. He requested a coronavirus vaccine shortly before being put on a ventilator, Jones said, but it was also too late for him. He died Aug. 2.

By then, Lydia Rodriguez was fully dependent on an oxygen mask that prevented her from talking to her children, who called to check in and sing Christian hymns to lift her spirits.

“We are praying for you and taking care of the kids,” Jones recounted telling her cousin during her last days. Hospital staff called the family on Aug. 16 to report that Rodriguez had died.

The family has relayed her last wishes about the vaccine to the couple’s 18-year-old twins, Jones said. The plan is to schedule an appointment for the 11-year-old daughter as soon as she qualifies, and the couple’s 16-year-old son is expected to get the shot soon.

The family has created an online fundraiser to help the Rodriguez children while the courts figure out who will become the guardian of the minors.

Wednesday is expected to be a difficult day for the four siblings, Jones said. Their mom would have turned 43.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/18/texas-couple-declined-covid-19-vaccine-died-orphans/

Edited by homersapien
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

sassy-i-was-born-this-way.gif

A neighbor of my parents, a real firecracker of a lady that has to be in her early 80s, stopped me to say hello.  During our conversation she started complaining about all the unvaccinated people that she knew.  Then she delivered a zinger.  She said "if they would have just let it leak that a side effect was that it made men bigger down there, the same people would have been lying and stealing to get shots and a booster or two.."  This is the same woman that has a plate on front of her little Toyota truck that reads "that's Ms. Bitch to you."  LOL

• Haha 2