Get To Know Bert Watts

Paladin

This dude either wears smedium shirts or he’s obviously spending some time in the gym. 

• Haha 2

Him and Harsin must have a good relationship. I believe Harsin values Coach Watts input because the last few games I have noticed Watts right next to/talking to Harsin every time the camera showed Harsin. Whether on O or D, but it was mainly on O because I remember thinking that it was odd for OLB/Special Teams coach to be talking to the HC when we were on offense.

• Like 1

The Basking Ridge, N.J. native also holds NFL experience, helping the Denver Broncos earn the top seed in the AFC playoffs in 2012.
A three-year letterwinner at Cal, Watts led the Bears’ defense with 80 tackles as a senior in 2002. Following his senior year, he was the recipient of the team’s Joe Roth Award, given to the player that exemplifies superior courage, attitude and sportsmanship.

Watts earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees in education from the University of California. He is married to the former Lyndsay Graubard, and the couple has two children, Vedder and Willow.

I hope he's adjusting to life in Auburn, AL okay, lol.

Really impressive resume going all the way back to his playing days. Must be a pretty intelligent dude. 

Sort of a holistic vibe to how Harsin builds and runs his staff. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CamZilla_15 said:

Him and Harsin must have a good relationship. I believe Harsin values Coach Watts input because the last few games I have noticed Watts right next to/talking to Harsin every time the camera showed Harsin. Whether on O or D, but it was mainly on O because I remember thinking that it was odd for OLB/Special Teams coach to be talking to the HC when we were on offense.

I just said this in another thread.

I feel like he will be our future DC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just said this in another thread.

I feel like he will be our future DC

Schmedding is probably the DC in waiting if i had to guess. I just looked him up so i spelled his name correctly and was surprised to see he is the run game DC. I really like how Harsin has multiple coaches on both sides of the ball with coordinator experience. Will be interesting to see if he promotes from within the current coordinators get new jobs. AT least i hopefully the coordinators do so well here they are offered HC jobs somewhere!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hope he's adjusting to life in Auburn, AL okay, lol.

Really impressive resume going all the way back to his playing days. Must be a pretty intelligent dude. 

Sort of a holistic vibe to how Harsin builds and runs his staff. 

Named his kid Vedder, must be an Eddie/Pearl Jam fan.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

Schmedding is probably the DC in waiting if i had to guess. I just looked him up so i spelled his name correctly and was surprised to see he is the run game DC. I really like how Harsin has multiple coaches on both sides of the ball with coordinator experience. Will be interesting to see if he promotes from within the current coordinators get new jobs. AT least i hopefully the coordinators do so well here they are offered HC jobs somewhere!!

I think it will be either or. I personally would want to keep Schmedding as an assistant HC, but still allow him to have his input on he defense. I just really like how involved Watts is with the players on the sideline and he himself has pretty incredible resume even as an opposing DC to CBH. 

Edited by DAG

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I think it will be either or. I personally would want to keep Schmedding as an assistant HC, but still allow him to have his input on he defense. I just really Luke how involved Watts is with the players on the sideline and he himself has pretty incredible resume even as an opposing DC to CBH. 

Coordinator should be about who can call the best game.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Coordinator should be about who can call the best game.

Really?

I guess that explains why CBH hired him since he called some pretty good games against his Boise State teams as a DC at Fresno. Thanks for clearing that up though haha 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Really?

I guess that explains why CBH hired him since he called some pretty good games against his Boise State teams as a DC at Fresno. Thanks for clearing that up though haha 

Better explanation of what I mean. I believe Harsin’s not hiring for Coordinators to bring their own scheme, even in defensive side. That’s why I think play calling ability would be high on the list. Just my thought though, certainly not a fact.

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Better explanation of what I mean. I believe Harsin’s not hiring for Coordinators to bring their own scheme, even in defensive side. That’s why I think play calling ability would be high on the list. Just my thought though, certainly not a fact.

I am so confused . Harsin specifically bought this guy in because he trusts him. I am sure if he was the DC he would trust him to scheme up for our defense. In fact, I bet you schmeddling and Watts would be the closest to what CBH would want on defense , even before CDM, which is why I foresee one of those two being the DC in the future. 

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am so confused . Harsin specifically bought this guy in because he trusts him. I am sure if he was the DC he would trust him to scheme up for our defense. In fact, I bet you schmeddling and Watts would be the closest to what CBH would want on defense , even before CDM, which is why I foresee one of those two being the DC in the future. 

I agree with this completely. I believe the one who Harsin thinks is best at calling plays will be the one he chooses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree with this completely. I believe the one who Harsin thinks is best at calling plays will be the one he chooses.

I'll be pretty shocked if Watts gets it over Schmedding. In fact, I wonder if Jeff would even want to stay on if that happened. Both are great assistants and fit the Harsin mantra to a tee. But Jeff has been with him for a while, was his DC, and is now our run game coordinator. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet it's either Schmedding or an outside hire.