Living in Auburn/Opelika/Lee County?

woodford

I’ve heard and read that the area is growing a ton recently. Why is this? Jobs coming to the area? I looked at housing prices in Auburn and most were insane. I know Auburn is charming, but why is it blowing up all of a sudden?

I’d love to move to the area but would have to convince the ball and chain. Any tech or data science jobs in the area?

On 11/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, woodford said:

I’ve heard and read that the area is growing a ton recently. Why is this? Jobs coming to the area? I looked at housing prices in Auburn and most were insane. I know Auburn is charming, but why is it blowing up all of a sudden?

I’d love to move to the area but would have to convince the ball and chain. Any tech or data science jobs in the area?

Actually steady and a ton of growth for the last 20 plus years. Initially due to reputable school systems and people willing to commute work wise or ability to use home for work base. Continued growth from various service industries and the retirement sector opting for the area. Obviously the University brings a lot of desirable qualities or amenities to the area. Not sure about tech or data jobs but I would think opportunities that exist are sought. Most young people I know that graduated and moved on claim that they are wanting to return to Auburn as a home.

Real estate is crazy in most places now but seems to have always been a bit costlier in Auburn. It has always held its own including during downturns elsewhere. Primarily due to university’s being such a stable base economically.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Actually steady and a ton of growth for the last 20 plus years. Initially due to reputable school systems and people willing to commute work wise or ability to use home for work base. Continued growth from various service industries and the retirement sector opting for the area. Obviously the University brings a lot of desirable qualities or amenities to the area. Not sure about tech or data jobs but I would think opportunities that exist are sought. Most young people I know that graduated and moved on claim that they are wanting to return to Auburn as a home.

Real estate is crazy in most places now but seems to have always been a bit costlier in Auburn. It has always held its own including during downturns elsewhere. Primarily due to university’s being such a stable base economically.

Where do most people commute to? Columbus?

10 hours ago, woodford said:

Where do most people commute to? Columbus?

No one particular place. Known plenty of folks living in Auburn that worked anywhere from south of Atlanta to Montgomery. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

No one particular place. Known plenty of folks living in Auburn that worked anywhere from south of Atlanta to Montgomery. 

That’s a lot of commuting. My old commute was 45 minutes. That was plenty for me.