Football Spillover Effect

War to the Eagle

This whole thing reeks of an Alabama/ESPN effort to hold any kind of positive AU athletics efforts down. I hope this doesn’t impact the morale of the Hoops team or any other sports for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

Yep.  Media will try and tie the two together if we drop a game or two prior to the SEC tournament, but this team is as mentally tough as I've seen across any sport.

8 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Basketball is dialed in.  Football will have no impact on this team.

There's a 0% chance of that happening. The game tomorrow is essentially a home game against the worst team in the SEC.  Bruce is an experienced head coach that will have these players ready to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

This whole thing reeks of an Alabama/ESPN effort to hold any kind of positive AU athletics efforts down. I hope this doesn’t impact the morale of the Hoops team or any other sports for that matter.

And distract the public from the incident where their DC spent the night in jail.    That happened right?  That was the headline, but I did not want to click on it. 

First of all, bama didn’t start this.  They couldn’t dream up a scenario this good for them.   It’s completely self inflicted.   AU football is a horrendous embarrassment.   We will not be relevant in football for at least 3-5 years.   Probably more.  
Secondly, you’re right.   The media will tie them together at some point.   Some idiots will pile on.  It will be old news in a week or so.  
Third, Bruce the master motivator, will not let his guys get distracted.   If anything, he may use it as a little extra motivation to “win for Auburn, because we need it right now”.  

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

This is what drives me crazy about SOME Auburn fans. Every negative thing that comes out of Auburn, our fans immediately say that "the REC did this. Nick Saban did this. The NCAA is doing this to help Alabama. The SEC is out to get Auburn because  Alabama and Saban told them to. AL.com, ESPN, Paul Finebaum, Pete Thamel, etc. are all out to get Auburn and to help Alabama. Blah, Blah, Blah." Alabama and every other school for that matter, aren't conspiring to make Auburn look foolish; we do that just fine all by ourselves. Just think for a second, why would Alabama want to bring Auburn football down and get Harsin fired?? Does he steal any transfer portal guys from Alabama? Does he get players from in-state that Alabama recruits very hard?? Is Harsin some genius Gameday coach that is a threat to start winning SEC Titles? Or National Titles? Is Harsin stealing any coaches from Alabama's staff? Does Harsin have different high school coaches steering their star players to Auburn instead of to Alabama? Does Harsin have the Auburn football program on such a great trajectory that pretty soon they'll knock Alabama out of the spotlight and the SEC championship will start being Auburn vs Georgia every year? 

The answer to all of those is NO. I would bet my life on it that Nick Saban and everybody at Alabama haven't lost a minutes sleep worrying about Bryan Harsin or Auburn football since Bryan Harsin became head coach. They probably are praying this stuff ISN'T true so that he will remain the head coach here. It would be like Auburn trying to find dirt on Mike Shula in hopes that it would get him fired from Alabama. Your theory makes ZERO sense when you really sit down and think about it. 

And I know I'll get downvoted for that rant and that's ok because I know I'm right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, wcware said:

I predict it does have an effect and we drop one today in Athens. I hope 🤞 I’m wrong. 

If I could down bit my own post I would. I just believe it effects us today.

Just now, wcware said:

If I could down bit my own post I would. I just believe it effects us today.

Not saying we won't lose today, I don't think we will.  If we lose, it won't be due to carryover from football imo.  This team has one thing on their mind, a championship season in basketball.  They know they can't screw it up with distractions.  If we lose, have to be a combo of Georgia shooting well, and us not being in an opponents gym, and probably foul trouble on Kessler.  Again JMO

• Like 2

This is because of opponent as well.  They don't have the horses to beat us straight up. 

19 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

You definitely are now a conspiracy theorist. 

how you are trying to connect this with anything is wrong. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wcware said:

I predict it does have an effect and we drop one today in Athens. I hope 🤞 I’m wrong. 

That Mizzou game was us at our worst!   That game/effort would beat uga by at least a few possessions (5-8 points ish).   We had a decent/mediocre game last time and beat them by 23 at home.   I would expect another decent game and a 15-20 point win in Athens today.  

7 hours ago, wcware said:

33 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I’m voting @wcware gets banned for this! Who’s with me?

I will withdraw my motion, but just barely!🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I predict it does have an effect and we drop one today in Athens

It does have an effect and the people who said it wouldn't are some of the same people stirring up stuff on the football board. Go figure.

The football department is the top of the athletic department and any negative energy out of there will trickle down to other sports. Also, a lot of the basketball players have friends on the football team. Negative energy in the athletic department will affect all teams. We saw it today in Athens. The team looked flat and we were lucky to get the win.

• Dislike 1

Does anyone think that the NCAA's ruling for the punishment of our basketball team had any effect on our Football bowl loss?

Of course not!

Auburn sports has enough to worry about with creating mythical stuff to worry about.

• Like 1

Bad karma in the athletic department right now. It will spill over into other programs besides football. I hope the basketball team can overcome it, they don't deserve it. Only the football team deserves it.

3 minutes ago, au4life77 said:

Bad karma in the athletic department right now. It will spill over into other programs besides football. I hope the basketball team can overcome it, they don't deserve it. Only the football team deserves it.

If you believe in karma. This loss has been penciled in for a while now. 

• Like 1