Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

Maverick.AU

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Hate losing to Tennessee, ever, but I do love Rocky Top. 

SAY WHAT?!?! THE ABSOLUTE WORST AND MOST OVER PLAYED SONG IN ALL OF COLLEGE SPORTS?!?! 2 yard run in football???!!?! WELP STRIKE UP THE BAND!! Time to fire up the song!!! ROCKY TOP YOU WILL ALWAYS BE...... PLEASE MAKE IT STAHHHHPPPP!!!!!!! lol

giphy.gif

no-please-stop.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Also, please no one turn this into a back and forth. Just thought this was awesome.

Giving up a second half lead with lieutenant 6-7 there?... 

897.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, wareagle7298 said:

There just isn't anything I have seen that says this team will do anything in March. We just seem to be going backwards. I'll get my hopes up during the home games thinking we have learned a lesson, only to see complete garbage on the road. Wendell Green is just no good though. Hopefully Bruce can get some shooters in, because watching our offense is offensive. 

A lot more of our fanbase have got to get this drilled in to their brain as the years go by and we get more entrenched in the college basketball world as one of the powers and titans of the sport. The toughest thing to do in all of any major college sport's regular season is win a road game against a good team in college basketball. Let alone a really good team in UT who just got done blowing out Kentucky by 18 at home recently and who are undefeated at home. Between Auburn, Kentucky, Arkansas and Rocky Top there are a total of 1 home loss between them. And that is Arky's loss to Vandy at the very beginning of conference play when they were down 3 starters due to covid issues. 

I choose to take a more glass half full kind of approach. AS TERRIBLE as we have played on the road even in wins in the past month and a half... We still have had plenty of chances to beat Arkansas, Florida and UT. We def should of won the first 2. Role players do not travel. Shooting does not travel. It is unlike anything in college sports life on the road in college basketball. Especially when we have a super young team and almost all of our starters have never been in this kind of atmosphere before. These kids across college basketball are clearly shook not being in these kind of raucous atmosphere's either ever or for the first time in 2 year's. *knock on wood* because we do still have to play at Miss St at the hump and that will not be easy at all but almost every other good to really good team has a game where they got blown out by 15 or more on the road on their resume up to this point. We have been very competitive in every loss. We are due for a very good performance on the road where finally everything goes our way and it all goes right and we win comfortably. As naive as it is to think this at this point I think that game will be Miss St next week. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, woodford said:

Season is going to end up being such a disappointment. It’s a shame. Team is loaded. Don’t know how they can make a run if they can’t win road conference games. 

Well good thing none of the conference and NCAA Tourney is a conference road game. Did you see how many good teams lost on the road today?! IT IS REALLY  f@#$%n hard to win on the road. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well good thing none of the conference and NCAA Tourney is a conference road game. Did you see how many good teams lost on the road today?! IT IS REALLY  f@#$%n hard to win on the road. 

Good news is all the other top 6 teams suck too  since they can’t dominate on the road either 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can see where shooting is tough in a road game. But rebounding? I don't understand that at all. I know it's not going to happen at this point, but when we are getting crushed on the boards like that, it would be nice to see both Kessler and Caldwell in the game at the same time.

• Like 1

Straight up just looked like Tenn wanted it more. They were they got after the rebounds while we just stood there staring at the ball sometimes..IMO. They wanted it more & it showed. They beat us with “hustle” more than a few times yesterday. 

• Like 1

Last week after a frustrating loss to Florida, a couple of posters helped me gain perspective about that loss, & I appreciated it. So, I thought I'd try to be a "perspective" person today about the UT loss. The stats from the UT game are really abysmal & there's nothing I or anyone can say to make that not so. We got outrebounded by 23. Went 5-25 from 3. Had a 10 minute stretch without a field goal (sheesh, how does that even happen when we have Kessler & Jabari?). Got 5 points from the bench. Blew another 11-point, 2nd-half lead on the road. I think I read that the rest of the team outside of Jabari & KD made 5 baskets. That's. Just. Awful. And yet... we lost by 5! We did all those things poorly on the road & lost by 5! The point is that we don't have to do radical things to win these games! If we only get outrebounded by 18, if Wendell goes 4-15 instead of 2-15, if the entire rest of the team not named Jabari or KD gets 3 more baskets... What that says to me is how good we actually are. Of course that's what makes losing those games so frustrating. But it's also fixable. I watched Gonzaga lose by 10 last night. Arizona lost by 16 to an unranked team. Those are the 2 teams that were ahead of us. We played poorly & lost by 5. My fellow Aubies, this team is special & can still be even more special! Here's hoping we start at the Hump on Wednesday!

Edited by TigerTennis80
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, fredst said:

We got out rebounded by 23  but our guards shot 30% with a lot of those being bad shots. The loss was a team effort…

Ummm. THe biggest disappointment was in the 2nd half when we had a 11 or 12 point lead, and then we made unforced TOs. bad shots( Yes you Flan with a step to the side 3 from the corner, and u Greene for multiple half court shots),.

We did not score a basket from around the 16 min mark until 7 mins left. And both ends of those were layup, and not jump shots.

Also bad when your bench scores zero points( Greene scored 5, but I count him a starter) that hurts. 

Lol missed one shot had to be sure to get it in there to blame though.

Green is going to have to step up. One more time, our guards can't be strictly one dimensional. Have to learn how to effect the game besides just scoring.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 1:29 PM, tgrogan21 said:

War eagle, everyone! Busting out my new shirt today since we've been struggling the past couple of weeks on the road. That means if we win I'm taking all the credit and if we lose, superstitions are stupid and I had no part in it. :P

Thanks for trying! And I guess your profile picture wasn't the problem either!

• Haha 2