No President, American or Otherwise, Controls the Price of Petroleum

autigeremt

10 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Oh Icky. Don’t you realize that most of us post on this forum for fun? You , Homer, Cole, Coffee and Fifty are never going to change my mind on any main issues that separates conservatives from liberals. I don’t expect to change any of your minds either.

I get a kick out of throwing in a grenade and seeing what the response/reactions are from our “progressive” posters. 

That's not what this forum is for.  If that's your purpose here, then the Political Smack Talk forum is where you belong.  If you can't seriously discuss issues and can never have your mind changed, then simply don't post here.  If you persist in that sort of posting, you won't have a choice in the matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Oh Icky. Don’t you realize that most of us post on this forum for fun? You , Homer, Cole, Coffee and Fifty are never going to change my mind on any main issues that separates conservatives from liberals. I don’t expect to change any of your minds either.

I get a kick out of throwing in a grenade and seeing what the response/reactions are from our “progressive” posters. 

Why?  Anyone who will not change their mind is a fool.

Edited by icanthearyou

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I agree with raising taxes on the wealthiest .25%.  Other than that NO.  The vast majority already pay enough taxes, even if they pay no income tax.  Meanwhile, some of the wealthy pay capital gains and no employment taxes.  The governed are getting angry. 

Do you agree with the general proposition we need to reduce our consumption/dependence on Petroleum?

If so, then how should we do that?

31 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

In other words, you have nothing serious - or even worthy of consideration - to contribute.  You're simply a mindless troll.

As such, you should at least confine yourself to the "trash talk forum".  It was created for such posts.

Edited by homersapien

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Do you agree with the general proposition we need to reduce our consumption/dependence on Petroleum?

If so, then how should we do that?

Stop subsidizing the oil industry.  Stop allowing depletion deductions.  Seems that would be more efficient than creating another tax.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Stop subsidizing the oil industry.  Stop allowing depletion deductions.  Seems that would be more efficient than creating another tax.

Well, I certainly agree with eliminating subsidies which are totally counterproductive to the goal of reducing consumption. But I consider that as corollary measure to raising taxes.

And I don't see how these steps would reduce consumption. 

Furthermore, prices would go up anyway, as oil companies increased prices and/or production to make up for loss of said subsidies on their balance sheets.  Don't see how that would help the disadvantaged. 

Edited by homersapien

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, I certainly agree with eliminating which is totally counterproductive to the goal of reducing consumption. But that's a corollary measure to raising taxes.

Furthermore, prices would go up anyway, as oil companies increased prices and/or production to make up for loss of said subsidies on their balance sheets.  Don't see how that would help the disadvantaged. 

A reduction in subsidies will create higher prices without the associated bureaucracy of another tax.  So, higher price, lower consumption.  In addition, it will create a relatively lower cost for alternatives.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

That's not what this forum is for.  If that's your purpose here, then the Political Smack Talk forum is where you belong.  If you can't seriously discuss issues and can never have your mind changed, then simply don't post here.  If you persist in that sort of posting, you won't have a choice in the matter.

Wow! You are such a tough guy behind a computer screen.

I will self monitor myself in the future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

You can't write this stuff!!!!  Nice.

6 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Not about being tough. It’s literally the rules of the forum. I’m just reminding you of them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Why?  Anyone who will not change their mind is a fool.

You do realize that you just called half of the Political Forums fools right?

Edited by DKW 86

On 3/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, autigeremt said:

I know it's in another topic but for clarity sake here's a pretty good breakdown of the oil price/fuel price issues we are seeing. I don't want to give up my boat pulling truck for a high priced, mileage restricted electric alternative just yet but there's some smarts in this article. 

No President - American or Otherwise - Controls the Price of Petroleum (substack.com)

Biden cancelled 9,000 oil leases his FIRST day in office! Without question a President can 100% effect oil prices from policy and we are seeing it first hand. Remember, we have 3 more years remaining of this idiots policies driving up inflation and next to follow will be interest rates.

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, I certainly agree with eliminating which is totally counterproductive to the goal of reducing consumption. But that's a corollary measure to raising taxes.

You do realize the oil industry has the lowest profit margin of ANY sector of business due to taxation?

• Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, keywest said:

Biden cancelled 9,000 oil leases his FIRST day in office! Without question a President can 100% effect oil prices from policy and we are seeing it first hand. Remember, we have 3 more years remaining of this idiots policies driving up inflation and next to follow will be interest rates.

True he has stopped leases on federal lands but, that is not the complete picture.  Unless of course you are in an echo chamber.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-oil-and-gas-permitting-has-increased-under-biden-data-show-223504727.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

People are what they are.  If your mind cannot be changed, you have ceased thinking.  You do not care about anything other than your beliefs.  When new information, facts, no longer matter, your intellect is turned off.  In a dynamic world that is foolish.

A society of such people will be useful but, they will not be free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

True he has stopped leases on federal lands but, that is not the complete picture.  Unless of course you are in an echo chamber.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-oil-and-gas-permitting-has-increased-under-biden-data-show-223504727.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

9,000 oil lease ENDED day one because of Biden, spin however you wish but this is a FACT!

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Link?

Common knowledge in the stock trading world, do you OWN research. This is the problem with leftist, they have zero real world knowledge/understanding of financials 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keywest said:

Common knowledge in the stock trading world, do you OWN research. This is the problem with leftist, they have zero real world knowledge/understanding of financials 

Low profit margins exist for various reasons. You claimed it was due to taxation— make that concrete case with facts or stay on the smack forum.

Here’s my research:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/07/oil-tax-break.asp

When it comes to tax-advantaged investments for wealthy or sophisticated investors, one commodity continues to stand alone above all others: oil. With the U.S. government's backing, domestic energy production has created a litany of tax incentives for both investors and small producers, and oil is no exception.

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• Several major tax benefits are available for oil and gas companies and investors that are found nowhere else in the tax code.
  • Tangible costs, which pertain to the actual direct cost of the drilling equipment are 100% deductible but must be depreciated over seven years.
  • Intangible drilling costs generally constitute 65-80% of the total cost of drilling a well and are100% deductible in the year incurred.
  • Lease operating costs and all administrative, legal, and accounting expenses can also be deducted over the life of the lease.
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

A reduction in subsidies will create higher prices without the associated bureaucracy of another tax.  So, higher price, lower consumption.  In addition, it will create a relatively lower cost for alternatives.

Sounds good in theory, but I would have to know what the value of those subsidies are before I would concede eliminating them would be equivalent in effect to raising taxes.

(And I suspect the "bureaucratic costs" of increasing taxes are negligible in this calculation.)

But again, I think we should do both - eliminate subsidies (obviously) and increase taxes. 

Finally - if one accepts that subsidies are a reasonable way to effect economic policy for the common good - the increased revenue could be used to subsidize the "green" energy technologies or at least fund basic research in "green" energy. 

11 hours ago, keywest said:

Actually, those cancellations were rescinded in court (further illustrating the POTUS's lack of power):

https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/biden-gets-climate-win-with-court-loss-gulf-mexcio-oil-leases-2022-01-28/

In fact, Biden is approving more oil leases at a higher rate than Trump:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/12/06/biden-is-approving-more-oil-gas-drilling-permits-public-lands-than-trump-analysis-finds/

And for your information, it takes literally years before a new lease results in more oil, if it ever does.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/just-how-much-oil-can-the-u-s-pump/

I suggest you do a little more critical thinking and research before calling anyone an "idiot", much less the president.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keywest said:

9,000 oil lease ENDED day one because of Biden, spin however you wish but this is a FACT!

Yes, but one fact is not the totality of truth.  Asserting otherwise makes you a liar.

• Like 1

You do realize the oil industry has the lowest profit margin of ANY sector of business due to taxation?

What does that have to do with anything I have posted on this thread?  :dunno:

The oil industry has always suffered under the extreme weight of an oppressive government.  Their struggle is our struggle.  They are victims of a society that does not value their sacrifices and contributions. 

I just want to know where to send my charitable gift.  I want to help before it is too late.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

What’s more egregious is Ichy just call him/herself a fool.