Question for the Engineers, Architects, graphic artists, gamers, etc....

johnnyAU

I'm in the market for another laptop, but I do a lot of graphic intensive, and occasionally process intensive 3D modeling. In my case, it is mostly SolidWorks.  My laptop has performed fairly well, but at 6 years old, it is getting a bit long in the tooth to keep up with the times. It is starting to give me some real issues. 

For those of you who have bought some laptops in the last few years and keep up with the hardware specs, what do you have and do you think it was worth the $$ for what you are putting it through?

My specs:

Dell Precision 7510

Intel Core i7, 2.70 Ghz

32 GB RAM

I believe that the processor and RAM are still quite adequate, but the NVIDIA Quadro M2000M GPU just no longer has the HP to handle the demands. And really, it has always been the limiting factor. 

I have used almost exclusively NVIDIA products over the years, but there are a lot of options. Are any of you using the Quadro series graphics cards in your laptops/pc's? Which ones and are you satisfied?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm none of the above, but I prefer a socketed motherboard with RAM expansion capability of 32GB or better. I'm partial to Asus, but have since discovered the flexibility of the Lenovo ThinkPad socketed MB of the T430 (rumors that it can handle a quad-core processor). Although the RAM is limited to 16GB, it tackles everything I throw at it. I've had numerous Dell machines, and they're okay. I'm just not a fan of Windows, especially Win11, due to its intrusiveness including files in the firmware/bios that can prevent me from loading a Linux distro on them once I grow weary of Windows. Furthermore, I still must have windows (10 & 7) loaded on different machines due to work, however, I have Linux Distros on laptops I own (MatLab via Fedora). I'm now leaning towards the Apple products.

Edited by Bottomfeeder