Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

Yeah I tend to agree that at least for ME and my opinion after the dumpster fire we have right now with Harsin and recruiting, I want someone that already has some ties in the south/SEC so they can come in and really start hitting and recruiting from the start and not have to build something up. So given that I do not think Rule would have the connections to come in and do that from the very start, honestly I think he prolly is a better coach than Harsin but that's not saying much. My top pick is Deion, I know its probably a long shot but I really think we need a talent upgrade and I think he would give us the best opportunity to do that, I know he is an unproven HC but you need to compete for talent first and foremost and I think he would give us a fighting chance.

:) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

When I look at the coaching lists that’s been evolving, as of now, I see only 3 viable candidates. IMO “viable”: the potential to directly take on UGA and Bama in recruiting/games, and not being a personal radioactive dumpster fire.  In order:

1) Deion far and away has the highest ceiling to do this. Not even close. Kinetic as hell, winner, recruiting monster, strong connections.  PR heaven, and culture change in 3 mins. But he is all about potential and the risks are obvious. And happy where he is.

2) Kiffen is proven, smart, quirky (feels like he’s coached at 35 fbs schools plus the Raiders, and should be 112 yrs old by now). His saga is legendary. I don’t know if he’s formidable enough  to head butt saban and Kirby, but maybe. Happy where he is (whatever that means with Lane). 

3) Rhule. Unusual resume and odd people are having to explain to some who he is (not huge name in our area) but has done an impressive turn around and coached at the  highest level.  His track record has holes, just got fired, and how he would recruit in our geography is pure speculation. Feels like he’d be outmatched by the uga, bama machines. But at least his background suggests he’d have a prayer. He’s very available.

We fired Gus who had a decent (but fading) record primarily because of consistent uga and bama curb stompings (and uga’s gotten better since then). We either go friggin big (stop with the “we can’t get them”- just get them) or lower the goal/expectations. This fan base does not have 5 (3?) year patience. That’s proven. 

Edited by auburnatl1

15 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Probably right, but a little success changes the metrics, and expectations. 

That being said, he's exactly where he needs to be. 

I agree. Outside of his first season and the back to back season over Ga and Bama, wasn’t 7 or 8 GM average? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

We fired Gus who had a decent (but fading) record primarily because of consistent uga and bama curb stompings (and uga’s gotten better since then). We either go friggin big (stop with the “we can’t get them”- just get them) or lower the goal/expectations. This fan base does not have 5 (3?) year patience. That’s proven.

I do not know that many P5 fanbases have 5 years of patience.  That said, continued patience is earned by showing forward progress.  You cannot struggle indefinitely on the field, and in recruiting.  If a fanbase sees signs that the program is moving in a better direction, they will generally support the coach that is doing so, and Auburn is no different.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not know that many P5 fanbases have 5 years of patience. 

Fair. I was suggesting it’s really 3 (depends on your point about  trending up). Regardless, to do something that quickly means  a candidate really doesn’t have time to build a big time reputation - our recruiting foot print Kirby/saban issue requires it. He needs to already have one.

Edited by auburnatl1

9 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Fair. I was suggesting it’s really 3 (depends on your point about  trending up). Regardless, to do something that quickly means  a candidate really doesn’t have time to build a big time reputation - our recruiting foot print Kirby/saban issue requires it. He needs to already have one.

Personally, I think 3 years is more than enough time to tell if a coach has the program trending up, especially if they inherited a program that had not posted a losing season.

• Like 1

Just tired of paying ex-coaches to hang out on TV Saturdays potificating this and that. There's so many former AU football coaches out there doing something better than here.

Get an AD, a good one and then see what they do. Keep moving forward on this rebuild or pull the plug and extend the factual rumors about money people making decisions. But that's the AD's job and teh President needs to stand by that. 

• Like 1

I'd love Rhule as a candidate and would put him in my top 2. But I don't think he's coming. Unless the boosters and Admin suddenly get behind a united front and write a big check along with concessions for control, and actually FIGHT for him, I think Rhule sits out a year like he says. And judging by our history of having a united front on ANYTHING, I don't see that level of commitment to getting Rhule happening.

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

When I look at the coaching lists that’s been evolving, as of now, I see only 3 viable candidates. IMO “viable”: the potential to directly take on UGA and Bama in recruiting/games, and not being a personal radioactive dumpster fire.  In order:

1) Deion far and away has the highest ceiling to do this. Not even close. Kinetic as hell, winner, recruiting monster, PR heaven, and culture change in 3 mins. But he is all about potential and the risks are obvious. And happy where he is.

2) Kiffen is proven, smart, quirky (feels like he’s coached at 35 fbs schools plus the Raiders, and should be 112 yrs old by now). His saga is legendary. I don’t know if he’s formidable enough  to head butt saban and Kirby, but maybe. Happy where he is (whatever that means with Lane). 

3) Rhule. Unusual resume and odd people are having to explain to some who he is (not huge name in our area) but has done an impressive turn around and coached at the  highest level.  His track record has holes, just got fired, and how he would recruit in our geography is pure speculation. Feels like he’d be outmatched by the uga, bama machines. But at least his background suggests he’d have a prayer. He’s very available.

Out of that list for me it is Rhule all day. He won at the top G5 level. He won at the Big 12 level. He took over two dumpster fires and had them rolling. He might not have made it in the NFL, not many college coaches do. Sure he just got fired. FROM THE NFL. Saban was FIRED from the NFL. Kiffin was FIRED from the NFL. So have numerous other college coaches who made the jump. Auburn alone will land you a top 15-20 class. Any coach worth his weight can pull in a few studs to balance it out to the top 7-10. It's not hard here. Rhule with his college history and NFL pedigree; not just as a head coach, but he was an offensive line coach for the Giants as well could recruit successfully here. Now with the transfer portal the way it is, you can literally change your team in an offseason. Need linemen? Go get them. Need a QB find the type you like and go get them there are usually a ton in the portal. For me I would have a friend of a friend of a friend on the phone with one of Seth Hennigan's (Memphis) friends yesterday. No way he stays at Memphis for his Junior season. Need other positions? Depth maybe? Go get them. In my opinion when it comes to this, Rhule is the guy who will have the patience, and know how to get this done and would likely be happy making Auburn his home until he retires if he is good enough.

Kiffin is probably gone to Nebraska unless he really loves Ole Miss and Deion will jump to Florida State the moment they call him.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I think 3 years is more than enough time to tell if a coach has the program trending up, especially if they inherited a program that had not posted a losing season.

Agree. I said BH deserved 3, but that was until I saw his lack of recruiting. We have to overhaul the entire OL. This is by far the worst group of older O linemen we’ve ever had. Until that’s corrected, the rest is moot on Offense. 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Mike2686 said:

. Saban was FIRED from the NFL. Kiffin was FIRED from the NFL.

Not being argumentative but Saban wasn’t fired. The creepy way he quit still makes Dolphin fans nuts. And Kiffen was fired but it was primarily due to his dysfunctional relationship with Al Davis. He might have made it otherwise. Never will know. 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike2686 said:

Out of that list for me it is Rhule all day. He won at the top G5 level. He won at the Big 12 level. He took over two dumpster fires and had them rolling. He might not have made it in the NFL, not many college coaches do. Sure he just got fired. FROM THE NFL. Saban was FIRED from the NFL. Kiffin was FIRED from the NFL. So have numerous other college coaches who made the jump. Auburn alone will land you a top 15-20 class. Any coach worth his weight can pull in a few studs to balance it out to the top 7-10. It's not hard here. Rhule with his college history and NFL pedigree; not just as a head coach, but he was an offensive line coach for the Giants as well could recruit successfully here. Now with the transfer portal the way it is, you can literally change your team in an offseason. Need linemen? Go get them. Need a QB find the type you like and go get them there are usually a ton in the portal. For me I would have a friend of a friend of a friend on the phone with one of Seth Hennigan's (Memphis) friends yesterday. No way he stays at Memphis for his Junior season. Need other positions? Depth maybe? Go get them. In my opinion when it comes to this, Rhule is the guy who will have the patience, and know how to get this done and would likely be happy making Auburn his home until he retires if he is good enough.

Kiffin is probably gone to Nebraska unless he really loves Ole Miss and Deion will jump to Florida State the moment they call him.

You may be correct about DS and maybe LK, but saying Rhule will or would have the patience to fix this program, doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I’m sure our current HC would have the patience, but this is far more than what the HC may perceive. Patience is a virtue and AU does not adhere to that most of the time. I’m not saying Rhule may not be good, but he most likely has 0 connections in the SE and on top of that, I think Nebraska is going to snag him. Just my thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Old fan 47 said:

You may be correct about DS and maybe LK, but saying Rhule will or would have the patience to fix this program, doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I’m sure our current HC would have the patience, but this is far more than what the HC may perceive. Patience is a virtue and AU does not adhere to that most of the time. I’m not saying Rhule may not be good, but he most likely has 0 connections in the SE and on top of that, I think Nebraska is going to snag him. Just my thoughts. 

Rhule has proven at Temple and Baylor he has the patience and know how. Out of the three that were listed to the post I responded too I am all Rhule.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Not being argumentative but Saban wasn’t fired. The creepy way he quit still makes Dolphin fans nuts. And kKuffen was fired but it was primarily due to his dysfunctional relationship with Al Davis. He might have made it othereise.

You're 100% correct lol. I forgot he said he simply didn't wanna do it anymore lol. He went 9-7 in year one.

1 minute ago, Mike2686 said:

You're 100% correct lol. I forgot he said he simply didn't wanna do it anymore lol. He went 9-7 in year one.

1st time I’ve been 100% right.

In my life.

4 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I agree. Outside of his first season and the back to back season over Ga and Bama, wasn’t 7 or 8 GM average? 

I was referring to Stoops at Kentucky, but yeah Gus is where he needs to be as well😁

Steve Smith Sr. rips Matt Rhule’s handling of Cam Newton in 2021

Anthony Rizzuti

Mon, October 10, 2022 at 11:45 PM·2 min read

In this article:

Carolina Panthers

Sun 3:05 PMvsLAR

Matt Rhule

American football player and coach (born 1975)

Cam Newton

|QB|#1

Now that Matt Rhule has been officially dismissed by the Carolina Panthers, we’re going to hear some interesting stories and takes about the two-and-a-half-year run in the coming weeks. So, why not start with a franchise great?

On Monday’s edition of his Cut To It podcast, Carolina’s all-time leading receiver Steve Smith Sr. discussed his former employer’s decision to part ways with their head coach. The retired wideout, at one point, questioned Rhule’s approach—specifically addressing his handling of quarterback Cam Newton in 2021.

Smith Sr. could be referring to one of two instances (or maybe even both) where Rhule publicly criticized Newton last season. The first came after Carolina’s Week 14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, when he knocked Cam for two turnovers.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

“He put two balls on the ground—one dropped snap on the second drive, one handoff on the 40-yard line going in we’re down by six,” Rhule said. “I think looking ahead, Cam continues to work, to learn. But our quarterback can’t have two turnovers in two straight games. We’re not gonna win that way. So we have to protect the football a little bit better and kinda go from there.”

The second jab would come just one week later, following their defeat at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. Rhule would strangely direct the blame for a botched fourth-down play at Newton.

“It’s a zone read,” Rhule said as he defended himself and his offensive coordinator. “There’s a bubble on there in case an unblocked blitzer comes. The Mike point, we had that guy blocked. So, that’s just an error by the quarterback. That should be a handoff, first down. He pulls the ball, there’s only one guy over there. Just poor execution. But it was the right play call by Jeff [Nixon]. It’s gonna be a first down.”

So, as Smith Sr. is implying, let that be a lesson to all you coaches out there. It’s good to back your players up, not back up a bus all over them.

Related

Sean Payton on Panthers' HC job: 'I think it's attractive'

Panthers owner David Tepper: We weren't getting over the hump with Matt Rhule

List

Panthers fans react to firing of HC Matt Rhule

Story originally appeared on Panthers Wire

TRENDING

LaMelo Ball will reportedly miss start of season with Grade 2 ankle sprain

Castellanos brings chaos to NLDS Game 1, leading Phils to win over Braves

MLB playoffs: Follow all the divisional round action live

USWNT loses consecutive games for first time in 5 years. Is it time to worry?

Bold predictions, awards and Stanley Cup picks for the 2022-23 NHL season

Odds

Game Info

Money LinePoint SpreadTotal Points

Carolina+375+10.5

23 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Problem is, I know nothing about Matt Rhule or the Cincy coach. Can they recruit? In the southeast? 

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that a pet rock could do better than Harsin right now.   So assuming they recruit better than a pet rock then they would be a step in the right direction.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Rhule definitely would have failed the 2year test but passed the 3year test.

Edited by Hank2020

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Steve Smith Sr. rips Matt Rhule’s handling of Cam Newton in 2021

Anthony Rizzuti

Mon, October 10, 2022 at 11:45 PM·2 min read

In this article:

Carolina Panthers

Sun 3:05 PMvsLAR

Matt Rhule

American football player and coach (born 1975)

Cam Newton

|QB|#1

Now that Matt Rhule has been officially dismissed by the Carolina Panthers, we’re going to hear some interesting stories and takes about the two-and-a-half-year run in the coming weeks. So, why not start with a franchise great?

On Monday’s edition of his Cut To It podcast, Carolina’s all-time leading receiver Steve Smith Sr. discussed his former employer’s decision to part ways with their head coach. The retired wideout, at one point, questioned Rhule’s approach—specifically addressing his handling of quarterback Cam Newton in 2021.

Smith Sr. could be referring to one of two instances (or maybe even both) where Rhule publicly criticized Newton last season. The first came after Carolina’s Week 14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, when he knocked Cam for two turnovers.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

“He put two balls on the ground—one dropped snap on the second drive, one handoff on the 40-yard line going in we’re down by six,” Rhule said. “I think looking ahead, Cam continues to work, to learn. But our quarterback can’t have two turnovers in two straight games. We’re not gonna win that way. So we have to protect the football a little bit better and kinda go from there.”

The second jab would come just one week later, following their defeat at the hands of the Buffalo Bills. Rhule would strangely direct the blame for a botched fourth-down play at Newton.

“It’s a zone read,” Rhule said as he defended himself and his offensive coordinator. “There’s a bubble on there in case an unblocked blitzer comes. The Mike point, we had that guy blocked. So, that’s just an error by the quarterback. That should be a handoff, first down. He pulls the ball, there’s only one guy over there. Just poor execution. But it was the right play call by Jeff [Nixon]. It’s gonna be a first down.”

So, as Smith Sr. is implying, let that be a lesson to all you coaches out there. It’s good to back your players up, not back up a bus all over them.

Related

Sean Payton on Panthers' HC job: 'I think it's attractive'

Panthers owner David Tepper: We weren't getting over the hump with Matt Rhule

List

Panthers fans react to firing of HC Matt Rhule

Story originally appeared on Panthers Wire

TRENDING

LaMelo Ball will reportedly miss start of season with Grade 2 ankle sprain

Castellanos brings chaos to NLDS Game 1, leading Phils to win over Braves

MLB playoffs: Follow all the divisional round action live

USWNT loses consecutive games for first time in 5 years. Is it time to worry?

Bold predictions, awards and Stanley Cup picks for the 2022-23 NHL season

Odds

Game Info

Money LinePoint SpreadTotal Points

Carolina+375+10.5

Payton should be able to choose his job.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Rhule definitely would have failed the 2year test but passed the 3year test.

I know very little about Rhule, but it looks like his W/L improved in his second seasons at both Temple and Baylor.  6-6 and 7-6 are not W/L to hang your hat on, but they are definitely improvements over 2-10 and 1-11.  That said, I have no idea how those second season teams looked, in comparison to the first seasons, but I would wager that they looked a lot better.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I know very little about Rhule, but it looks like his W/L improved in his second seasons at both Temple and Baylor.  6-6 and 7-6 are not W/L to hang your hat on, but they are definitely improvements over 2-10 and 1-11.  That said, I have no idea how those second season teams looked, in comparison to the first seasons, but I would wager that they looked a lot better.

I don’t think AU would have said 6 or 7 wins was proof that they needed to Keep Harsin after 2 win or 1 win first season. But the 3 rd year results was definitely the right direction.

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. I said BH deserved 3, but that was until I saw his lack of recruiting. We have to overhaul the entire OL. This is by far the worst group of older O linemen we’ve ever had. Until that’s corrected, the rest is moot on Offense. 

Recruiting is the last nail in the coffin for me.  You do not get to field a team that gets embarrassed in season 2, AND have pitiful recruiting.  That is when it becomes incredibly difficult to defend keeping a head coach.

• Like 1