SEC Structure

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

along with Vandy and Mizzou

Just Tennessee from the East plays bama every year. 

Edit:::  I get what your saying now. Been a long week!!  

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1

Just now, TXaubie said:

Just Tennessee from the East plays bama every year. 

what I was comparing is that they also play a weaker Vandy & Mizzou opponent.  Compare that to our schedule and there schedule is weaker...even if we play the same mutual opponents of bamar and UGA

• Like 1

Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

what I was comparing is that they also play a weaker Vandy & Mizzou opponent.  Compare that to our schedule and there schedule is weaker...even if we play the same mutual opponents of bamar and UGA

I gotcha. I was probably editing my comment the same time you were typing this. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of back in the day when we used to play Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, and Georgia every year. The true amen corner was Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Of course, Georgia was nowhere near the dominating power that they are now. Even Alabama wasn’t as strong. Now it is just blatantly unfair but it is what it is and at some point it will all equal out… in 10-20 years. Hahaha

I kind of agree if you have one big conference why play the SEC championship? Just award it to best record and increase regular season game count. With top teams making playoffs and playoffs going longer I’m guessing conference championships are a thing of the past. Look forward to seeing how they divvy up these permanent rivals. 

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Reminds me of back in the day when we used to play Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, and Georgia every year. The true amen corner was Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Of course, Georgia was nowhere near the dominating power that they are now. Even Alabama wasn’t as strong. Now it is just blatantly unfair but it is what it is and at some point it will all equal out… in 10-20 years. Hahaha

Yeah, let's just cross our fingers and pray that happens in the next decade--instead of you know lobbying to make things easier for us in the here and now. I'm under no delusion that we're dropping Georgia but once every two years is good enough for all other powers in the league, thank you very much!

• Like 1

Isn't some level of 4 team pod format needed to align schedules into predictable, playable match-ups? 

9 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

They should just make it so that the conference championship means more to getting into the playoffs (which I think is coming in the form of an auto bid). I actually heard on ESPN last Tuesday, where Kirk and Joey Galloway said that LSU could win out and win the SEC championship and miss out on the playoff to Tennessee and Georgia. That's ridiculous and makes the championship meaningless, especially when the team that benefits the most is the 1-loss Tennessee that doesn't have to play in it. (So in that way, I guess I'm agreeing with you). I just think instead of abolishing it, we make it matter.

The fact we have a conference championship that doesn't help the winner and actively punishes the loser is broken. Make it an auto bid.

Kinda like 2011 and 2017 when Alabama won the National Title but didn't even win their own division in conference.

• Like 2

got this from elsewhere, but supposedly this is the format they're looking at going with:

1) Everyone plays 9 SEC games
2) Everyone gets 3 permanent SEC rivals
3) The other 6 teams will be assigned randomly
4) The 2nd season, you will play the other 6 teams you didn't play the season before.
5) After 2 seasons, each team would have played every team in the SEC. Then the cycle starts over.

3 minutes ago, AUFiend said:

got this from elsewhere, but supposedly this is the format they're looking at going with:

4) The 2nd season, you will play the other 6 teams you didn't play the season before.
5) After 2 seasons, each team would have played every team in the SEC. Then the cycle starts over.

It would be a four year cycle. Everyone visits everyone at least once.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUFiend said:

Who would be our 3rd permanent opponent?   assuming bama and uga are the first 2.   

5 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Who would be our 3rd permanent opponent?   assuming bama and uga are the first 2.   

I would like it to be Florida

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

I would like it to be Florida

With bama and uga as the other 2, I would like for it to be Vandy.   Knowing how the SEC schedules usually work, I’m guessing it will be lsu, ok, or the next team to be an annual playoff contender.  Lol.  

• Angry 1

13 hours ago, AUFiend said:

Could be wrong but I don’t think this part works out that way. What I think they’ll do to try to get some kind of schedule balance is I think they will have each of the big nine schools play two of the other big nine schools every year as permanent. And then of the six remaining big nine schools they would probably have each of the big nine rotating three of the other big nine schools every year. For example, with Auburn we would play Bama and Georgia every year and year one we play Florida, LSU, and Oklahoma. Year 2 we play Tennessee, Texas, and Texas A&M. 

• Like 1