What about this scenario?

Swamp Eagle

Let’s hypothesize that the coach search stagnates, and we’re in a situation where any eventual hire would be ‘settling’ for less than what was initially hoped for. 

What about offering Caddy a 1-year deal, and being up front and honest?

“Coach, we’re buying time, BUT, this is your opportunity to make your case.” 

It wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 4

No. 1000X no. There are good coaches looking to move this year. There may not be next year. Plus, this roster is depleted almost to the point of no return. We need a splash hire. Now. Otherwise we are looking at years before we’re competitive again. We don’t have time to experiment with someone. We need to take one of the multiple proven options available this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Let’s hypothesize that the coach search stagnates, and we’re in a situation where any eventual hire would be ‘settling’ for less than what was initially hoped for. 

I could definitely get on board with that idea, although I know it won’t happen. Hell, our recruiting the last week is even ticking upwards. I do think we would need a proven OC and OL coach, but why not? Caddy has injected tons of life into what was a dead program a month ago. 

• Like 1

If the top tier coaches waffle on the opportunity and you told me Grimes has reached out and wants to oc under Caddy and insert ______ dream defensive coordinator of your choice plus an iron bowl win this year.. I wouldn't fight it and in fact would honor it w pride

• Dislike 2

And folks, don’t get riled up. There’s a key word in my OP.

Can you say hypothetical? I thought you could…

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

No. 1000X no. There are good coaches looking to move this year. There may not be next year. Plus, this roster is depleted almost to the point of no return. We need a splash hire. Now. Otherwise we are looking at years before we’re competitive again. We don’t have time to experiment with someone. We need to take one of the multiple proven options available this year. 

The OP stated the hypothetical situation that option 1, 2, 3, etc. pass on the job. I agree with you that we go for a splash hire, but I'd rather kick the tires on the Cadillac before hiring Lashlee, Clay Helton, etc.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jknighton said:

The OP stated the hypothetical situation that option 1, 2, 3, etc. pass on the job. I agree with you that we go for a splash hire, but I'd rather kick the tires on the Cadillac before hiring Lashlee, Clay Helton, etc.

My point is that there are too many good options right now. I can think of 6-7 guys that would very likely be solid hires for Auburn. We’d have to get that deep before even considering Caddy. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Nope. Short-term deals don't work out. 

Just now, ScotsAU said:

My point is that there are too many good options right now. I can think of 6-7 guys that would very likely be solid hires for Auburn. We’d have to get that deep before even considering Caddy. 

I totally agree, but you know how we normally sail these waters. We'll get half of those options contract extensions and then scare off the other half with ridiculous demands. On the bright side, Cohen seems like the real deal, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

14 minutes ago, jknighton said:

the third option wouldn't pass on the job, let alone the fourth option.

That ends that.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That ends that.

True.

I was only feeding the hypothetical.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That ends that.

DAG, in hypothetical, all things are possible.

• Haha 1

Just now, BigBlueWDE said:

To me, that's a slap in the face to Caddy...and that is absolutely a no-go for 99.9% of the fan base. That man needs to be treated with nothing but respect

What more respect can you give a native son with a grand total of 4 head coached games by offering him an opportunity to continue in that role without the interim tag?

I believe Caddy could be just as successful as the “big” name coaches being mentioned but you’d have to offer him a real contract.  A one year deal would basically cut his legs out from under him before he even got started.  Coaches would negatively recruit the crap out of a 1 year deal.  You don’t offer Caddy a lot of money or a big buyout due to his resume but incentive the crap out of his contract.  Give Caddy 2-3 years and he’d have a loaded talent roster.  If it doesn’t work out he leaves without Auburn writing a huge check and Auburn probably retains a ton of talent for the next coach.  If it does work you have another Dabo situation.  

• Like 1

The biggest push against this hypothetical is that at this current moment, Auburn is the best available P5 job (Nebraska a close second). You really can't afford to "punt" on this coaching carousel cycle because the market for Top-tier coaches might be much more saturated next year.

Plus we all know how hard it was for coaches to recruit this season knowing the potato gang was working on borrowed time. Asking caddy to fix our roster and win enough to extend his contract is a bit unfair.