Expanding the Playoffs to 12 Teams starting 2024

aubcali

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/sport/college-football-playoff-expansion/index.html

CNN — 

The College Football Playoff will expand from four to 12 teams starting with the 2024-2025 season.

The tournament board of directors agreed to the expansion on Thursday.

In September, the board unanimously approved the expansion. The new format was set to begin in 2026 but the board had tasked the College Football Management Committee to try to implement the expansion earlier, following the 2024 or 2025 season. 

“We’re delighted to be moving forward,” said Bill Hancock, executive director of the College Football Playoff in a statement. 

“More teams and more access mean more excitement for fans, alumni, students and student-athletes. We appreciate the leaders of the six bowl games and the two future national championship game host cities for their cooperation. Everyone realized that this change is in the best interest of college football and pulled together to make it happen.”

The national championship game is scheduled to be played in Atlanta in January 2025 and in Miami in January 2026.

Edited by aubcali

Wonder if this will be a catalyst for getting Texas and Oklahoma in SEC for 2024.

We should expect to be PERENNIAL contenders for the playoffs by 2025 IMO

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

We should expect to be PERENNIAL contenders for the playoffs by 2025 IMO

Going 9-3 in the SEC will probably be enough. But I stand by my assertion that we need an equitable scheduling setup--it's never going to be completely even but no one's three should be head and shoulders above the rest.

The real question is: there was talk about having the quarterfinals on campus too. How exactly would the bowls work out in that case? Like if the quarterfinals were bowls too, that would be pretty simple even if I hate the idea from a fan perspective.

Bowls are one of the main reasons why CFB is uniquely inhospitable to playoffs.

Here is how it would've looked in 2017 (chosen for obvious reasons) if the quarterfinals were the non-semi NY6 bowls--

First round

G1--UCF @ Alabama (remember that it's all conference champs getting the top 4 seeds)

G2--Washington @ Wisconsin

G3--Miami FL @ Auburn

G4--Penn State @ USCw

Quarterfinals

Orange--Clemson vs. G4 winner

Peach--Georgia vs. G2 winner

Cotton--Oklahoma vs. G3 winner

Fiesta--Ohio State vs. G1 winner

Semifinals

Rose--Peach winner vs. Cotton winner

Sugar--Orange winner vs. Fiesta winner

Final

CFC--Rose winner vs. Sugar winner

Edited by AUwent

I don't like the 12 team setup. Eight would have been plenty. In fact, I don't see where four doesn't get everybody in that deserves to be in. This move is all about the $$$$$.

• Like 2

I would greatly prefer an 8 team playoff vs 12.  Looking at current standings, I just dont see where a 9-3 Utah or 9-3 Kansas State are in the talk for being the best team in College Football.

Looking at the current top 8, there's definitely an argument for one of those being the best, even though a few had some no-show games, ex; Tenn vs USCe.

• Like 1

Ok but are we going to get the first 6 games on legit college small town campuses or is it just another big money grab for the georgia domes and jerry worlds of the sport. I wish they would recognize the opportunity to be different than the nfl (although i guessthe nfl does play at their own stadiums) and keep college football uniquely special by allowing some initial games to be on campus

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

43 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Ok but are we going to get the first 6 games on legit college small town campuses or is it just another big money grab for the georgia domes and jerry worlds of the sport. I wish they would recognize the opportunity to be different than the nfl and keep college football uniquely special by allowing some initial games to be on campus

See my post above.

Edited by AUwent