Jon Stewart Interview on Classified Documents

homersapien

This is an interview by Jon Stewart with author Matthew Connelly who has recently published The Declassification Engine - What History Reveals About America's Top Secrets.  Provides a fascinating and entertaining overview.

It's long (47 min) but quicker than reading the book I suppose. ;)

Highly recommend.

Edited by homersapien

Washington Reality @ 25 Minutes

"We spend $18BN on classified document security..."  I literally laughed so hard almost crapped my pants. 

If $18BN of Federal Govt money buys us almost no security in DC we are sssooo ****** as a nation.

Laughing Lol GIF - Laughing Lol Lmao - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

26:20 "We classify something as Secret 90M times a year. We classify something Secret 3X a second."

That's just AS SECRET folks. We have blithering idiots running Washington...

In 1977, the NSA tried to get out of having to deal with classified documents....

@27:56 "Its like they are still playing the same game, every few years the two sides switch uniforms on the handling classified material."

"Everything is information to be weaponized." 

• Like 1

32:50 "(In Washington, ) They are probably treating classified material as coasters...."

HRC: "It would be more convenient for me to ignore these laws on handling classified material, I got the idea from Colin Powell." :roflol:

FOLKS, THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT THINK THEY ARE SMARTER THAN EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD.

Edited by DKW 86

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

26:20 "We classify something as Secret 90M times a year. We classify something Secret 3X a second."

That's just AS SECRET folks. We have blithering idiots running Washington...

In 1977, the NSA tried to get out of having to deal with classified documents....

@27:56 "Its like they are still playing the same game, every few years the two sides switch uniforms on the handling classified material."

"Everything is information to be weaponized." 

Much of it is simply to cover your ass.  Keep it from the public.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Much of it is simply to cover your ass.  Keep it from the public.

100% Agree

We may not ever discover the seriousness of any of these incidents. 

For example, a classified document that is innocuous would be the travel itinerary for a president (or VP) for an oversees trip.  (I can also see how such a document might be retained inadvertently.)

Of course the more serious documents won't be divulged.